Cube lights don't fit Cube bike

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
Purchased my EXC 750 and included mudguards, rear rack (dogs gear) and front and rear lights. When I went to collect my bike the shop told me they do not fit the bike, different connectors. I had actually emailed Cube before adding the lights and was informed they would fit. Now, I have the lights but they are of no use. I tried to contact Cube again and as per their legendry shocking customer service , blanked me. All was as a package on the bike scheme so the shop are refusing a refund. Anyone else had this ?

JockG

Jun 14, 2022
Cardiff
Yes, I have the same issue. They have changed the Ports on the motor to a round shape, see the picture of my motor. I bought a rear light from a local dealer, well it was eventually shipped from Germany weeks later. Stupidly I took over an hour threading the cable though the mudguard into the motor, not easy and placing rubber seals, only to realise the plug would not go in (square with rounded corners). I was told they have no clue when or if lights would be available. The only solution is to buy an additional cable with the new plug and solder it onto the light, a further £15 or so.
IMG_2247.jpg

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
Hi Jock, its very poor isn't it. Cube have totally ignored my question re the lights and the dealer has not come back to me either over 2 months later. It really is shocking customer service all round but they don't appear to care as they cannot make enough bikes to sell !
Not sure what to do now, get the lights back from the dealers and sell them on ebay maybe....

JockG

Jun 14, 2022
Cardiff
I know it's pretty poor, my local dealer didn't know until I took my rear light back in and showed him the picture of the round port. It's a pity because the Cube rear light is such a neat solution in the mudguard. I did find what I think is the right cable, made by Lupine who are more on the ball than Bosch as lights are their business. It's a BES3 connector and says its for '22 Bosch motors on their website. I don't have too much of a need for the rear light as I am using the bike mostly off road. I just think to pay £13 plus postage for a £20 light that should have it anyway is a bit much. Plus I wouldn't want to buy it and find it doesn't fit either.
2022-06-15 14.21.47 www.bikester.co.uk ad4104ee0bc8.png

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Just bought the cable for the new "smart" system too.
I read the output for the front lights have a maximum of 18W, and have to be configured by the dealer for 6V or 12V.
The (formerly battery powered) lights I have accept 4.8V to 16V and use <1A, so the 12V setting will be fine.

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
Still waiting for Cube to pull their finger out and sort the fitment for the Bosch kiox system. The dealer said they would replace them with the correct lights once they arrived, July they said. September now and I still don't think Cube have addressed this issue? Honestly, Cube customer service is non existent. I keep trawling the Cube "lights" section but don't think any fit the Kiox?

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
It seems Cube now have BES3 lights on their website. I am back onto the dealer to get them ordered for my bike. I could really use them now with the dark mornings and early nights.
I assume the BES3 fitting is for the Kiox 300 system...

JockG

Jun 14, 2022
Cardiff
Great, many thanks for the heads up. I'll order one from my local dealer and check the plug this time (y)

sipaldi

Apr 28, 2022
england
Great, many thanks for the heads up. I'll order one from my local dealer and check the plug this time (y)
Hi Jock, let me know how you get on as my dealers telling me they are out of stock now. :mad:
8 months and counting now to actually get the lights I purchased that fit my cube ebike.........
Has anyone ever obtained a response from Cube customer services I wonder?

JockG

Jun 14, 2022
Cardiff
Thought I'd better just close this out as I have finished set up. Thanks to sipaldi for the heads up that the rear light was available. I ordered one and received it in December, No front light was available at that time (backorder) with the BES3 fitting. I didn't want a standard light anyway, I keep my eBike in Scotland for Bike/Hiking so I wanted a more powerful front light for off road but also with an ability to just have a flashing mode when on road. The std Cube lights didn't seem to fit the bill. I bought a Lezyne eBike Macro Drive Front Light. I then had to buy a cable with a BES3 plug on it, blue for the front. I managed to get one from eBay. It was quite short, so the joint is just behind the bottom battery connection, but that's all I could get. I soldered the wires, remembering to put the heat shrink tubing first Ha Ha. Slightly awkward as the Lezyne & Bosch cables were different diameters, fortunately I'd bought one of these sets of Aldi that has various diameters of heat shrink. Bought in the middle of aisle in the hope I'd use them sometime, we have all been there? There is a spare cable conduit in the battery compartment to secure the cable, likewise inside the inner part of the Cube specific mudguard I fitted on the rear.

No BES3 front cable light was available from Cube, so my dealer couldn't order it, though plenty of EU sites have them.

I am happy with the set-up, no messing about with USB charging, the Lezyne defaults to the last mode, so ideal as mostly the lights are switched on for the road use. Rear light is neatly under the rack so no issues when loading the panniers and top bag for the overnights,
IMG_6314.jpg IMG_6315.jpg IMG_6316.jpg IMG_6317.jpg

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Good morning,
Thank you for posting the result. 👍

I can feel with you. I have the BES3 as well and just installed Lupine SL-F and Garmin Power Mount. Finding all the cables with the right connectors to devices and port at the Motor was taking time. Some offers are expensive and it will remain Garmins secret why not having adapter for BES3 but one older Bosch version only.

As connector I used and preferred this of Lupine

FF462245-8712-46F2-B9FE-4583D7D07032.jpeg

over the Y-connectors

9FC55AD5-CBDF-49BC-BED6-40C6BA179F5D.jpeg

Luckily the dealer activated during first (mandatory) service all ports and I had not to go again for it. I only do not know how much spare battery is reserved for light but do not really care so far.

th3c0d3r

Sep 13, 2021
Romania
@JockG can you please post some pictures how the wire for the rear light is routed out of the frame and into the mudguard channel? I have just installed the Acid mudguards and I'm planning to add lights as well. Thank you.

JockG

Jun 14, 2022
Cardiff
@JockG can you please post some pictures how the wire for the rear light is routed out of the frame and into the mudguard channel? I have just installed the Acid mudguards and I'm planning to add lights as well. Thank you.
Hi, Sorry I am away from the bike at the moment, but I might be able to explain:

I bought a Cube Acid MTB 75 Mudguard Set and an Acid SIC Pure 27.5in RILink Rear Carrier.
I wanted to avoid stays on the rear mudguard and this rack kit has a support bar in the centre that mounts to the rear bike frame/carrier/mudguard all in one. Its a neat solution though the very back of the mudguard rattled about too much on track, so you'll notice in the picture of the rear light I drilled a couple of holes in it and tie wrapped it to the rack, that works well.

If you look inside the Acid mudguard, you'll see what looks like a plastic pipe clipped on the inside. That's the cable guide. The pipe actually is slit down its length, pop it out. So once you mount the rear light you can just feed the wire into the slit, this overcomes any issue with the larger BES plug already connected to the light, it doesn't need to be fed down the tube. There's a hole in the mudguard near the bottom of the frame and this matches a hole in bottom of the frame leading in the motor. There is a solid grommet covering this hole in the frame that can be popped out. The mudguard kit comes with a grommet with a hole and slit. So again it make it easy for you to put this in place and keep the BES plug intact. I was mindful that the BES plug and the Acid rear light has some sort of o-ring seal on it and I didn't want to damage that as it seals the plug in the motor. Feeding the plug through this frame hole to the motor was a little bit fiddly. I taped it to a tie wrap and used it to feed through.

Floyd Pepper

Jul 22, 2020
Lebanon
I have the same problem but the other way around, i ordered a front light, acid pro-e 140 smart system (round plug) while i have the 'normal' bosch performance line cx, it can get really confusing.

Does anybody know, if i replace the cable only, would it work?

My fear is that the main light unit maybe aint the same, although i doubt that.
And I've read about issues with having to go to a dealer after installing the front light to 'set the motor/software to accept the front light' or such to have it all work properly.

Thing is i don't have a dealer in my country so any shared knowledge would very much appreciated before i buy a whole new light unit or the cable.

Many thanks i advance.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
I have the same problem but the other way around, i ordered a front light, acid pro-e 140 smart system (round plug) while i have the 'normal' bosch performance line cx, it can get really confusing.

Does anybody know, if i replace the cable only, would it work?

My fear is that the main light unit maybe aint the same, although i doubt that.
And I've read about issues with having to go to a dealer after installing the front light to 'set the motor/software to accept the front light' or such to have it all work properly.

Thing is i don't have a dealer in my country so any shared knowledge would very much appreciated before i buy a whole new light unit or the cable.

Many thanks i advance.
Hi,
If the light port - comes deactivated on delivery - is not switched on by a dealer with Bosch software the lights will not work if connected to motor.
Regarding the cable Cube online service support might help you or the dealer that sold the bike. Another option would be that you share a pic of plug on the cable and connectors on the motor.

Floyd Pepper

Jul 22, 2020
Lebanon
Hi,
If the light port - comes deactivated on delivery - is not switched on by a dealer with Bosch software the lights will not work if connected to motor.
Regarding the cable Cube online service support might help you or the dealer that sold the bike. Another option would be that you share a pic of plug on the cable and connectors on the motor.
Thank you so much Arminius, i found the right connector cable now online.
Fingers crossed that when i did my first update of the engine, with a cracked software unfortunately, although it was a live/e-bike savior..that the light function was activated. God willing :)

For now i just order the right cable only and take it from there, thanks again.

Ps: Bosch should really make a simplified version of their update tool for everybody to use as its 2024 and we all know how to plug a usb and select some favorite settings/update.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Thank you so much Arminius, i found the right connector cable now online.
Fingers crossed that when i did my first update of the engine, with a cracked software unfortunately, although it was a live/e-bike savior..that the light function was activated. God willing :)

For now i just order the right cable only and take it from there, thanks again.

Ps: Bosch should really make a simplified version of their update tool for everybody to use as its 2024 and we all know how to plug a usb and select some favorite settings/update.
Re „Ps: Bosch should really make a simplified version of their update tool for everybody to use as its 2024 and we all know how to plug a usb and select some favorite settings/update.“

Hello,
This is not up to Bosch as it is legal regulation in many countries that there must be a firm setting of spare battery capacity for the lights when the motor is not powered anymore by low battery. This setting is linked to the power consumption of the lamp/lights.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles