CREAKING MOTORS

Davemtb

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
CREAKING ISSUE: Cannondale Moterra with Performance line CX gen 4. At 4600km and 2nd trip to LBS, the motor was replaced. The creaking was very loud when putting force through the pedals. Tightening the main motor mounting bolts gave a temporary fix (first visit). Bosch didn't hesitate to swap out the motor, which makes me suspect they know this issue. The motor was still ok, but something to do with the mounting plate/bracket attached to the motor. Lucky still under warranty. I do at least 6000km/year mostly commuting plus hardcore trials. Mechanic said another bike was in the shop with same issue. There are other Bosch creaking reports on the forum.

These motor warranties should be distance based, not time based. A weekend warrior might only do a few thousand km after 2 years then the motor fails, and then they are faced with an expensive repair/replace cost when they really didn't get much life out of the motor. On the plus side, if my motor keeps failing within the 2 year warranty, my bike will always have a new motor !
Begs the question - what is the km life expectancy of these motors? When should they be serviced?

Anyone else experienced creaking issues with Bosch gen 4 motors? After how many km?

heinz

Aug 2, 2021
est
My Ghost Asx started creaking at 1000 km. Today i took motor out, checked bracket bolts and put everything back together with right torque. After that no creaking.

125phil

Aug 9, 2021
MEL/YVR
CREAKING ISSUE: Cannondale Moterra with Performance line CX gen 4. At 4600km and 2nd trip to LBS, the motor was replaced. The creaking was very loud when putting force through the pedals. Tightening the main motor mounting bolts gave a temporary fix (first visit). Bosch didn't hesitate to swap out the motor, which makes me suspect they know this issue. The motor was still ok, but something to do with the mounting plate/bracket attached to the motor. Lucky still under warranty. I do at least 6000km/year mostly commuting plus hardcore trials. Mechanic said another bike was in the shop with same issue. There are other Bosch creaking reports on the forum.

These motor warranties should be distance based, not time based. A weekend warrior might only do a few thousand km after 2 years then the motor fails, and then they are faced with an expensive repair/replace cost when they really didn't get much life out of the motor. On the plus side, if my motor keeps failing within the 2 year warranty, my bike will always have a new motor !
Begs the question - what is the km life expectancy of these motors? When should they be serviced?

Anyone else experienced creaking issues with Bosch gen 4 motors? After how many km?

Creaking is from loose bolts, i suspect the shop didn't tighten all the bolts in the first place.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
Just had my Mondraker level RR in for creaking from the motor @ 1000km. You could feel it moving when you stand on the pedals. Turns out it was the motor to frame mounting bracket, which has a gasket (very thin) moulded on, which deteriorates over time. The local mountain bike centre told me it’s a common problem on all their Bosch hires ( most brands of bike with Bosch gen 2/3). Bracket is only £10 - £15 but you need to drop the motor to access it. Just tightening the visible bolts won’t fix it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles