Cranksets

TorqeyOn:9

Oct 13, 2021
United Kingdom
Hello i'm new here. Just looking to find out if i can fit a Sram GX DUB crankset to a shimano EP8 motor. It currently has stock shimano eMtb cranks with the chainring lock ring that needs the tool LRT2. Will the GX crankset fit straight in or is it not compatible? Thanks👍🏼

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021
sussex
I don't believe it will. The crank arms connect directly to the motor rather than having an axle running through a bottom bracket. Shimano uses a 24mm axle and DUB uses a larger one, ~29mm I believe?....but don't take my word for it as I don't have an EP8

Last edited:

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Some bikes have EP8 motor with non Shimano Crankset fitted by bike manufacturer (Like Stevens Inception), but there were issues and the Stevens description of the problem is : "the cranks and drive shafts of our above-mentioned production series do not work perfectly together. The combination of EP800 motor and e*thirteen crank passes the prescribed ISO test 4210-8 I 4.6.2. However, extensive corrosion and fatigue tests in accordance with ISO 9227 I 2017-07 revealed the error pattern from practice. In contrast, the combination of Shimano cranks with the EP800 motor passed all tests, including the corrosion and fatigue tests."

And as a result of the above motor axle broke in a few cases and the fix was to install a new motor. As this was fitted by bike manufacturer it was covered by warranty. It has to be pointed out that these issues have been already fixed by E13. But the learning from this is that if you fit non approved cranks and motor breaks it might not be covered by warranty. I wouldn't take the risk.

Last edited:

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
Some bikes have EP8 motor with E13 Cranks fitted by bike manufacturer (Like Stevens Inception), but motor axle broke because of the E13 cranks and the fix is to install a new motor. As this was fitted by bike manufacturer it was covered by warranty. But if you fit non approved cranks and motor breaks it will not be covered by warranty. I wouldn't take the risk.

Hi Spiff,
We do not believe our cranks to be the source of the spindle failures. We have just issued this Technical Service Bulletin regarding this issue: https://support.ethirteen.com/hc/en...-in-Conjunction-with-e-thirteen-e-spec-Cranks

Thanks,

e*thirteen

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles