Crank snapped my axle spindle?

Jan 27, 2021
Cumbria
Went out for a ride ahead of a weeks riding in Wales today. Plan was to ride over Nibthwaite, do a few trails in Grizedale and then finish with Parkamoor. One climb and fortunately not to much decent the other side in, I popped over a small rock and as I landed my crank came clean off. On closer inspection the spindle had cracked right along the line where the inner crank bolt lies. Hiked back up and then rolled the descent.

Spoke to Sigma (who I purchased it from) and to their credit, while they can’t fix it before the weekend for me to take away, they are working hard to sort me a rental and they’ve been really helpful.

I hadn’t seen the update regarding the torque settings but the preload cap was on fully tight as were the retention bolts so not sure it would have made a difference. I’m a bit skeptical about the E13 cranks so depending on what happens I’ll push for an upgrade on those.

890D8BCF-01A6-4589-B52C-E8F9E944AFCD.jpeg

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Wow! That might be one more reason to remove the inner rubber spacer to get more bite on the spindle. I'm doing that tonight. I checked the torque on the cap and the pinch bolts, but didn't take it off to remove the spacer and locktite it.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I checked the torque and it was correct, then I removed the cap and it had already loctite on it. I cleaned everything and reinstalled the cranks with new caps. However I did not remove the rubber spacer because to me the cranks are too close to the frame already but now I am thinking of doing it.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I know e-thirteen have been known to have issues with their crank bolts coming loose (I have had no issues) but isn't that a part of the Shimano motor that's sheared of , theres obviously been a weak point somewhere and the splines were it , probably happened in the manufacturing process maybe a rogue part that slipped through the net when tested , could have been over torqued by mistake etc etc loads of different scenarios tbh ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder if the crank arm was slowly sliding off, then with the impact/landing it was attached just enough to snap off the spindle end.

I've almost done the same once before on an e8000 due to mechanical incompetence on my part, but fortunately noticed just before I did anything extreme ! :)

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I wonder if the crank arm was slowly sliding off, then with the impact/landing it was attached just enough to snap off the spindle end.

I've almost done the same once before on an e8000 due to mechanical incompetence on my part, but fortunately noticed just before I did anything extreme ! :)
Yeah possibly ? I don't know much let alone seen the Shimano system is it the same way the cranks are fitted on the Orbea Wild FS with the extraction bolt in the centre of the splines ??
I can't see that the weight of the rider / bike / landing would do that but Im most likely wrong ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah possibly ? I don't know much let alone seen the Shimano system is it the same way the cranks are fitted on the Orbea Wild FS with the extraction bolt in the centre of the splines ??
I can't see that the weight of the rider / bike / landing would do that but Im most likely wrong ?
The Shimano system's pretty different. You slide them on then screw in a plastic retainer bolt/screw into the sprindle. Then tighten the "clamps".

rise.jpg

There have been problems with the correct tightness identified before :

Which links back to an earlier thread with info from e*thirteen on correcting it :

Reactions: jka
Jan 27, 2021
Cumbria
Orbea have issued a recall but unfortunately don't seem to have told all the relevant departments in bike stores. Their recall email went into my junk last week, which I obviously didn't see. However just over two weeks ago, I did do a quick check over of all the bolts on the bike and loosened the pinch bolts, tightened the retaining bolt and then re-tightened the pinch bolts.

They're now advising you remove the rubber spacer to stop giving false torque readings which could have happened. Bit bummed that I actually did some preventative maintenance and then shortly after this happened.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
The Shimano system's pretty different. You slide them on then screw in a plastic retainer bolt/screw into the sprindle. Then tighten the "clamps".

View attachment 58745

There have been problems with the correct tightness identified before :

Which links back to an earlier thread with info from e*thirteen on correcting it :

Ah ok I see it's just the normal way of installing Shimano cranks ?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Ah ok I see it's just the normal way of installing Shimano cranks ?
and it's a rock solid interface - I've never heard of a shimano crank failing there (and the axle on the motor is presumably being made to the same sort of specs as on their cranks). The whole point of the interface is that you're NOT relying on the bolt in the end of the axle (which is normally just hand tight to load the bearings) but on the pinch bolts.

it's an odd place for this to fail - I've seen someone run a shimano crank loose and destroy the splines, but never snap one like that

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There was an e8000 with a similar failure on here last year (can't find the thread or remember the wording used), which was from a crank which wasn't tightened correctly.

Could just be a really unlucky break, sounds like the shop's straight on it so that's pretty cool, hopefully the OP will be up and running again ASAP.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
It's hard to say what actually caused the failure.
Manufacturing defect of the spindle.
Pinch bolts not torqued to the correct specs and allowing the crank to partially slide off.
Inside pinch bolt loose and allowing the crank to flex on the spindle slightly.
Who knows. I just hope they get it fixed quickly and this doesn't happen to anyone else. I did the recommended removal of the inner seal, applied Loctite and torqued properly preload caps and all pinch bolts. I feel totally safe now....well, at least I feel like I've done all I can. Here's the link for the actual tech update.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Manufacturing defect of the spindle.
Pinch bolts not torqued to the correct specs and allowing the crank to partially slide off.
Inside pinch bolt loose and allowing the crank to flex on the spindle slightly.
Who knows. I just hope they get it fixed quickly and this doesn't happen to anyone else. I did the recommended removal of the inner seal, applied Loctite and torqued properly preload caps and all pinch bolts. I feel totally safe now....well, at least I feel like I've done all I can. Here's the link for the actual tech update.

Note that this issue exists with the e*thirteen carbon crank arms as well.

Also, if people took the preload cap off to check for threadlocker, they hopefully put new fresh threadlocker on it before reinstalling!

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Same thing happened to me today o_O @e*thirteen Components I did file a claim, would be nice to be able to ride this weekend.

Just curious, had you done the service referenced above with removing the spacers and torquing to the popper specs? It would be important to know if this is happening after the recommended service or only to those that hadn't done it yet.

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
Hi folks,
From what we have seen thus far, the loosening issue covered by our TSB is distinct from the spindle failure issue. All parties involved are investigating these failures collaboratively but to say the crank is causing the spindle failure at this point is unlikely and premature. Currently our cranks are passing all testing standards without issue (ISO, EN, DIN).

Customers experiencing issues should file warranty claims with Shimano for the engine and an additional claim with us to have the crankset replaced.

Thanks for your patience as we look further into if our cranks are playing a role in these spindle failures.

Jan 27, 2021
Cumbria
Hi folks,
From what we have seen thus far, the loosening issue covered by our TSB is distinct from the spindle failure issue. All parties involved are investigating these failures collaboratively but to say the crank is causing the spindle failure at this point is unlikely and premature. Currently our cranks are passing all testing standards without issue (ISO, EN, DIN).

Customers experiencing issues should file warranty claims with Shimano for the engine and an additional claim with us to have the crankset replaced.

Thanks for your patience as we look further into if our cranks are playing a role in these spindle failures.

Would you be able to tell us how many spindle failures have been reported to you on motors with your cranks on?

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Hi folks,

I agree. I think that if the crank is torqued properly with the spacers removed that there is little reason to think that the crank is causing spindle failure. It seems to have the same purchase on the spindle as any other crank and therefor is unlikely (but not impossible) to be related to the spindle fracture.
I too would like to know if there are any other cases of spindle breakage with these or any other cranks on EP8 motors from any bike manufacturer, but I don't know how to get that info.
I don't think that I've seen any reports of any failure at all AFTER the recommended service was performed properly.
Has anyone had any crank problems (lost preload caps, crank arms falling off, spindle breakage) AFTER performing the service update?
Please let us know.

Edmu

Jun 29, 2021
Puerto Rico
Orbea have issued a recall but unfortunately don't seem to have told all the relevant departments in bike stores. Their recall email went into my junk last week, which I obviously didn't see. However just over two weeks ago, I did do a quick check over of all the bolts on the bike and loosened the pinch bolts, tightened the retaining bolt and then re-tightened the pinch bolts.

They're now advising you remove the rubber spacer to stop giving false torque readings which could have happened. Bit bummed that I actually did some preventative maintenance and then shortly after this happened.
Can you please inform me where may I see the Orbea recall? Or send me a copy ([email protected])?

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA

It's shit design on HollowTech II. That spindle has a hole in it for the useless locating tab where stress cracks can start. The should have made this spindle thicker and changed the spline type.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
and it's a rock solid interface - I've never heard of a shimano crank failing there (and the axle on the motor is presumably being made to the same sort of specs as on their cranks).

Cranks fall off Hollow-Tech II spindles all the time, a lot of people aren't on the forums and just get their local bike shops to deal with it. It requires that those two pinch bolts are correctly torqued and tight and checked all the time. Lots of people don't have torque wrenches and they think gud-n-tite works (which leads to stretched threads on crank arms and loss of clamping force). Add pedal strikes in there from time to time which stresses this interface, and no wonder they fall off over time.

Sadly OP - you ain't gonna be riding your bike a while as those motors can't be serviced and will have to be replace by Shimano. Really kinda stupid given it's relatively straightforward to replace the spindle on the E8000's, replacement parts ain't available.

Shimano needs to rethink this consumable throw and thrash strategy.

Last edited:

beholdtheflesh

Jun 6, 2022
Denver, CO, US
@andythebikeguy exactly which model crank did you have (carbon or aluminum), and when was your bike manufactured?

I have a 2022 model Rise H15 with the aluminum cranks stock, and in the other thread about cranks, somebody posted that Orbea had changed their assembly procedure to avoid issues. Mostly need to know if I should be concerned with my bike specifically.

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
Went out for a ride ahead of a weeks riding in Wales today. Plan was to ride over Nibthwaite, do a few trails in Grizedale and then finish with Parkamoor. One climb and fortunately not to much decent the other side in, I popped over a small rock and as I landed my crank came clean off. On closer inspection the spindle had cracked right along the line where the inner crank bolt lies. Hiked back up and then rolled the descent.

Spoke to Sigma (who I purchased it from) and to their credit, while they can’t fix it before the weekend for me to take away, they are working hard to sort me a rental and they’ve been really helpful.

I hadn’t seen the update regarding the torque settings but the preload cap was on fully tight as were the retention bolts so not sure it would have made a difference. I’m a bit skeptical about the E13 cranks so depending on what happens I’ll push for an upgrade on those.

View attachment 58716
What model rise did this happen on?.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles