Crank a hitting chainstay (2020 160 Hybrid)

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Is there some kind of spacer available to move my crank arm out a little? And exactly what tools do I need to remove the crank on this bike? There's a little clearance there while static but it must be flexing and rubbing under load.

The photo makes the crank arm look bent because of the angle but in person it looks fine.

20220807_082928.jpg

20220807_082939.jpg

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I doubt Cube have designed the crank to be that close to the chainstay, either the crank is bent or something is loose on the bike.
Everything seems tight as far as I can tell. It's got 165mm cranks, wondering if that's what they came with or maybe the previously owner put them on and got the wrong offset (or whatever it's called)?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
The stock crank arms were 165mm across the range of 2020 Stereo 160 Hybrid, it'll probably tell you on the back of the crank your size.
So either there's something a bit loose, i.e crank arm, or maybe the chainstay bearing is a little worn giving movement, or as you suggest flex in the arm. Thing is, where it is hitting would be on the upstroke, so less force would be apparent there.

Could maybe even a bit of movement of the motor within the frame, check the bolts are torqued up properly
you need a Torx+ bit (can't remember the size) @ 11Nm (asuming the frame is carbon) for the 6 big bolts that go through the frame into the motor and 6Nm for the small plates on the motor itself.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Good point about the up stroke, didn't think of that, will check motor mount bolts then.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I can't get to all the motor mount bolts without getting the chainring off and I'm pretty sure I don't have the correct tools to get it off but the bolts I could get to seemed tight enough. I'll figure out what tools I need and strip it down a bit better when I can.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I had a look on eBay for the same model bike and one of them on there seems to have a wear mark in the exact same place on the chainstay:
Screenshot_20220808-101608_eBay.jpg

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Is it possible that your right hand crank is a little bent?
Take both crank arms off and compare by lying then on top of each other.
You could even swap them over to check the clearance as apart from the left/right hand thread for the pedals they should be identical.
Obviously you cant ride it like that as eventually the pedal could unscrew.

You'll need an 8mm Allen key to remove the crank bolts and a crank puller to pull the arms off.
One like this will do, as it will do both the narrow square taper type cranks, and the oversize ones common on a lot of Ebikes

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Is it possible that your right hand crank is a little bent?
Take both crank arms off and compare by lying then on top of each other.
You could even swap them over to check the clearance as apart from the left/right hand thread for the pedals they should be identical.
Obviously you cant ride it like that as eventually the pedal could unscrew.

You'll need an 8mm Allen key to remove the crank bolts and a crank puller to pull the arms off.
One like this will do, as it will do both the narrow square taper type cranks, and the oversize ones common on a lot of Ebikes
Nice one thanks, so it's just a regular crank extractor then, I have one somewhere but I can't seem to find it anywhere, I must have leaant it to someone 🤔 I'll order another and go from there.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Pretty much, just check that the 'pusher' doesn't just disappear into motor shaft. if it does, stick a 5p piece in first for it to push against.
It should just sit nicely over the shaft and self centre inside the crank arm. Don't expect it to come back out flat tho:)

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Pretty much, just check that the 'pusher' doesn't just disappear into motor shaft. if it does, stick a 5p piece in first for it to push against.
It should just sit nicely over the shaft and self centre inside the crank arm. Don't expect it to come back out flat tho:)
lol nice tip, thanks.

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
The stock crank arms were 165mm across the range of 2020 Stereo 160 Hybrid, it'll probably tell you on the back of the crank your size.
So either there's something a bit loose, i.e crank arm, or maybe the chainstay bearing is a little worn giving movement, or as you suggest flex in the arm. Thing is, where it is hitting would be on the upstroke, so less force would be apparent there.

Could maybe even a bit of movement of the motor within the frame, check the bolts are torqued up properly
you need a Torx+ bit (can't remember the size) @ 11Nm (asuming the frame is carbon) for the 6 big bolts that go through the frame into the motor and 6Nm for the small plates on the motor itself.

This sounds good advice, there's no way Cube would agree this to be normal. I've just checked mine and there is at least 4mm clearance.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I'll have another look for my extractor this afternoon and if I can't find it I'll have to order another one so I can remove and check them. I'll get a chainring lockring tool while I'm at it so I can remove that to get to all the motor mount bolts also.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Had the same issue on my bike (not a Cube) from new, turned out the wrong Q factor crank arms were fitted. Ended up with new crank arms and a chainstay under warranty

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Had the same issue on my bike (not a Cube) from new, turned out the wrong Q factor crank arms were fitted. Ended up with new crank arms and a chainstay under warranty
Q-factor, that's the term I couldn't remember earlier, I'm not the original owner of mine so I assume it's not covered by warranty now, it's a 2020 bike and I have no idea where it was originally purchased from. Is the Q-factor written on the crank arms? I'm not home at the moment so can't check.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Not sure if this is going to help but...
I have the 2020 160 Action Team which frame/motor wise will be the same as what @RipGroove has.
Stock it came with 165mm E Thirteen cranks which I have replaced with Hope 155mm ones. However after a bit of measuring I took a gamble and went with the narrow offset version instead of the normal offset version.
Here are pictures to see if its any use

Stock E-Thirteen Arms 165mm
Stock e13_165.jpg

Motor End Close up
Spindle end.jpg

Pedal End Close up
Pedal End.jpg

Hope Narrow Offset 155mm Drive Side (with crank boot fitted)
Hope Narrow DS 155.jpg

Hope Narrow Offset 155mm Non Drive Side (with crank boot fitted)
Hope Narrow NDS 155.jpg

Here is a link as well to the dimensions of the hope cranks, showing all the offsets and q-factor etc

So far despite it being close (not as close as in the OP's picture, there have been no strikes to the chainstay
I think If I'd have gone with the 165mm version, then I would have had to use the standard offset.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Not sure if this is going to help but...
I have the 2020 160 Action Team which frame/motor wise will be the same as what @RipGroove has.
Stock it came with 165mm E Thirteen cranks which I have replaced with Hope 155mm ones. However after a bit of measuring I took a gamble and went with the narrow offset version instead of the normal offset version.
Here are pictures to see if its any use

Stock E-Thirteen Arms 165mm
View attachment 94395

Motor End Close up
View attachment 94401

Pedal End Close up View attachment 94399

Hope Narrow Offset 155mm Drive Side (with crank boot fitted)
View attachment 94398

Hope Narrow Offset 155mm Non Drive Side (with crank boot fitted)
View attachment 94397

Here is a link as well to the dimensions of the hope cranks, showing all the offsets and q-factor etc

So far despite it being close (not as close as in the OP's picture, there have been no strikes to the chainstay
I think If I'd have gone with the 165mm version, then I would have had to use the standard offset.
Thanks, good info there 👍🏻 Once my extractor arrives I'll compare the info on my cranks to yours.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
One dished 5p later (thanks @MrPeaski) 🤙🏻 The cranks are off and don't appear to be bent, no offset value written on them anywhere (unless EC43-F11 means anything to anyone) so still unsure as to what's going on.

20220810_154547.jpg

Unfortunately the chainring lockring tool I ordered doesn't fit (Icetoolz M801), entirely my fault probably as I've just ordered the wrong thing (their tools are actually really nice). So anyone know exactly what lockring tool I need? If I can get the chainring off I can check all the motor mount bolts properly.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
This is the one I use, which is unfortunately out of stock at the mo
BB Tool 8 Prong

If you read the reviews/questions it also give an idea of similar tools that would also be compatible

Amazon do this which looking at the reviews fits the Gen4 Bosch lock ring

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
Is there some kind of spacer available to move my crank arm out a little? And exactly what tools do I need to remove the crank on this bike? There's a little clearance there while static but it must be flexing and rubbing under load.

The photo makes the crank arm look bent because of the angle but in person it looks fine.

View attachment 94184

View attachment 94183
My 2021 action team 160 was vey close as well , luckily I noticed it just touching the rubber, the dealer re-laced the e13 cranks with cubes acid cranks which gave it more clearance but it was only 10 mm ish , I swear they where flexing too and just touch the rubber , I was wonder if the motor was sat square in the frame , I had heard of some treks having the motors out of alinement and doing the same thing ,
sold my bike now , that solved the issue

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
I made a 1mm thick stainless steel shim to 'fix' this in the end.

20230113_151409.jpg
20230113_151442.jpg
20230113_151809.jpg

I made 2 shims so if 1mm isn't enough then I can double up to 2mm.

And a bit of 3M carbon to hide the scratch in the paint.
20230113_154754.jpg

Last edited:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Glad the shims work, but I'd prob guess that the crank is slightly bent back, or the motor isn't seated quite right...?
I couldn't find anything to be at fault in the end, I checked the cranks for flat on a granite table at work and from what I can tell the motor is straight and all the mounting bolts are torqued up so shimming it was the only thing I could do, it's only 1mm so not going to cause any issues.

Nick314

Jun 9, 2022
Monmouthshire
I couldn't find anything to be at fault in the end, I checked the cranks for flat on a granite table at work and from what I can tell the motor is straight and all the mounting bolts are torqued up so shimming it was the only thing I could do, it's only 1mm so not going to cause any issues.
Weird, but glad you've got it sorted now...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles