Rail (625Wh) Cracked Rail frames

illazilla

Jul 6, 2020
West Hills, CA
Hi fellas, could I ask is this crease normal? It looks to be in the same area as people's frames are cracking, there is not a crack at the moment but it doesn't look good.
Many than

1673195275308.png

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
I had the motor out yesterday and had a thought when looking at the sleeved joint inside the downtube:

Why not put a layer of JB Weld across the joint right around the inside of the downtube?

It wouldn’t get in the way, it’s out of sight and it may help to prevent that joint moving?

The joint isn’t painted and I think a reinforced epoxy would stick very well

Juise

Aug 23, 2022
Finland
I had the motor out yesterday and had a thought when looking at the sleeved joint inside the downtube:

Why not put a layer of JB Weld across the joint right around the inside of the downtube?

It wouldn’t get in the way, it’s out of sight and it may help to prevent that joint moving?

The joint isn’t painted and I think a reinforced epoxy would stick very well
You didn't happen to take a pic from the inside?

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
You didn't happen to take a pic from the inside?
I thought I had, but looking back I’ve only got a couple of overview pics.
The joint is quite accessible and separated from the lower battery plate.
I’ll do the epoxy reinforcement when I next pop the motor out.
77D71E48-6362-47D6-A733-DD83FB78F237.jpeg

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
Just an update on my Rail issue, spotted a potential crack in my frame a while back, had a look at this forum to see if theres a issue with these frames.
Bike is a June 2020 Rail 7, developed a electrical issue with the bike 22/1/23, so i took it into the supplying bike shop (Edge Cycleworks) in Lancaster UK,
I left the bike with them to problem solve the electrical issue, but mentioned that it looked like the frame may be cracked, so they said we,ll take a piccy and send it to Trek and take it from there.
Fast forward 5 days, got a phone call from the shop and they said that Trek would warranty the frame with a couple of different options,
1) They would supply a new frame/shock FOC and build up bike
2) Give a discount on a 2023 Trek Rail 9.8XT for £5000 (less the retail for my bike)
So i chose the frame option as i couldnt warrant blowing another £5k!! But also the shop came up trumps when Bosch said they would warrant a new motor for free!!! 6 months out of warranty... result so nearly (2023 frame) new bike back on the 23/2/23 for the cost of £27.
A massive thanks to the Edge Cycleworks Lancaster for coming up with the goods and turning the whole job round in a month !!!!

frame.jpg

RuggsRides

Mar 1, 2023
Australia
Found a crack in my alloy Rail 9 GX same as everyone has mentioned. Got a new frame set coming but only available in the Dnister Black/Rage Red colour way (2021 Rail 7 colour). Was hoping for the same colour or even just a black but this is all they have unfortunately.

IMG_7524.png IMG_7523.png

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Its an area to keep an eye on
at least its not a catastrophic failure, it fracture cracks first and there's a life time warranty on the frame (y)
So although not ideal its also not the end of the world.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles