Counterfeit Helmets

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Is nothing safe from the fakers!

Apart from the two helmets I'm using currently, I have broken every helmet I have ever owned. The helmets are probably why I'm not dribbling as I type.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You see this quite a lot in the motorcycle world - never worth risking your noggin!

Tunny

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
May 29, 2018
Birmingham
There was something on Fake Britian or Rouge Traders sometime last year iirc about fake cycle helmets. They had some science boffins do a flex and impact test on legit and fake helmets. The fake helmets were so weak it was unbelievable. The tester explained that the way it had broken it could have been pushed into the skull and caused more serious injurys. On the other hand, it also suprised me at how much stress a legit helmet can take without breaking and keep your nut from bursting.

You can never be 100% certain that anything is legit even from the most popular and reputable retailers in the world unless it's manufacturer tested as fakes are in every walk of life but the odds are good

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A mate of mine retired and went through the "reliving my youth phase". He passed his motorbike test and bought a big motorbike and went zooming about. He didn't quite go the full ripped-Levi sleeveless jacket, but almost. But despite the massive power of his bike, he was still a beginner and he tried to go between a bus and a truck in town centre. He ended up under the bus with one of the bus wheels on his bike helmet! They got everyone off the bus, very carefully, then the fire brigade jacked up the bus. The helmet was squeezed just enough to prevent him from being pulled out. Apart from a headache and a cleaning bill for his trousers, he was unscathed. I never asked him what he did with the helmet but I would have it mounted in the garage! :D

Not a fake helmet then!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've still got the AGV helmet that probably saved my life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles