Converting from e8000 to ep8

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Has anyone seen this video yet? Looks like small cables and crank arms have to be changed on the ep8 (if you can get it) from the e8000. And EP8, depending on where it comes from might be restricted to 15mph VS 20 mph for the States. Is this even available in the US yet? And of course you have that EP8 clunking/rattling sound to contend with and for me that's currently a deal breaker on on use of the EP8 motor.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I've an E8000 and EP8. I have so say the EP8 is generally quieter in my experience and I ride them side-by-side. I wouldn't worry too much about noise from the EP8.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I find it quite ridiculous to discount the EP8 motor over the E8000 based on it making a little more noise when coupling and de-coupling.
Especially when all Shimano motors creak after a few hundred miles hard riding anyway

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I find it quite ridiculous to discount the EP8 motor over the E8000 based on it making a little more noise when coupling and de-coupling.
Especially when all Shimano motors creak after a few hundred miles hard riding anyway
It's not just the coupling and decoupling noise it is the constant metallic rattling on downhills and when not pedaling. I mean who really WANTS a bike that creaks, lol?

5200 miles and no creaks from my e8000. The bearings are still tight but probably not as quiet as new. Bottom bracket creaks suck on analog bikes and noises that are not normal are just plane annoying. If I have a creak on my bike I fix it. I'd rather get a newer Brose or a Fazua when Bulls puts it in something with more than 120mm of travel so EP8 and newer Bosch bikes are eliminated from consideration unless something changes.

Lots of other choices out there and maybe they will come up with a fix when I'm ready to buy a new bike. I'm sure there are those that can ignore the metallic clunking sound from the EP8 or maybe they are used to a bike that is noisy but given the cost of a new bike I'm not willing to put up with that for years of ownership. The video I heard of the EP8 sound made it sound a bit like a rattle trap of a bike.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I have an E8000 bike and an EP8 bike. There are differences but not enough to justify the expense, for me, to do an upgrade like that. The E8000 is *slightly* less powerful but nice and quiet when coasting.

Gordon

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
If you watch the videos from those guys up above, they come to the conclusion that there is little difference between the 2 motors. So, unless you have problems with your e8000 seems it's and expensive exercise with little improvement.
I was only considering this when and if my e8000 dies, but maybe not for at least another 5000 miles.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's not just the coupling and decoupling noise it is the constant metallic rattling on downhills and when not pedaling.
the metalic rattle IS the motor coupling and decoupling. it happens as your chainring is basically on a freewheel and still moves as the bike freewheels and also as your cranks rotate slightly when standing on them.
5200 miles and no creaks from my e8000.
Lucky you. I've never got more than 400 miles without axle bearing creak beginning on any E8000. and i've never had a single motor last anywhere near 5000miles before breaking and requiring replacement.
Normal bike HTII BBs tend to last me around 5000miles of the same sort of riding and infinitely more wet washes. I basically don't wet wash Shimano motors at all anymore in a futile attempt to make them last a little longer.

Personally I tend to think anyone who complains about the rattle probabably isn't riding very rough or technical terrain to be so bothered by it.
Every Ep8 bike I've ridden downhill noise from the tyres has far outweighed the rattle.

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
the metalic rattle IS the motor coupling and decoupling. it happens as your chainring is basically on a freewheel and still moves as the bike freewheels and also as your cranks rotate slightly when standing on them.

Lucky you. I've never got more than 400 miles without axle bearing creak beginning on any E8000. and i've never had a single motor last anywhere near 5000miles before breaking and requiring replacement.
Normal bike HTII BBs tend to last me around 5000miles of the same sort of riding and infinitely more wet washes. I basically don't wet wash Shimano motors at all anymore in a futile attempt to make them last a little longer.

Personally I tend to think anyone who complains about the rattle probabably isn't riding very rough or technical terrain to be so bothered by it.
Every Ep8 bike I've ridden downhill noise from the tyres has far outweighed the rattle.
I see a lot of Shimano motors with more miles than mine. But in dusty SoCal with zero water the motor stays dry. And I also don't wash my bike unless I get into mud during the winter months. I quickly learned that if you don't like creaks don't wash unless absolutely necessary. I am not a crazy fast downhiller but I do ride lots of technical stuff but maybe not as fast as you but fast enough to keep up with most of those 20-40 years younger than me. With the ebike uphills are as much fun as downhills. I rode several years of observed trials in the 70's and love rocks (until I fall on them, lol) and that's helped me progress pretty fast on my mtn bikes that I started at age 68.

My freak (slide out at 20 mph right on my shoulder) collar bone breaking crash 2 years ago ( 2 broken ribs, fractured shoulder blade) did slow me down a lot and made me think about getting more armor and not trying to stay up with the younger more experienced crowd of downhillers around here. It wasn't even a steep fast downhill but it sure did lay me up and then frozen shoulder added rehab time too. So I wonder if other motors fare any better in the wet?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
First e8000 lasted 1700km. This new one just rolled over 2000km and im starting to get some creaking. Hoping its just the mounting bolts. They look a little dry. Bit of wet fall riding last year but generally avoid heavy rain and havent been spraying it with a hose. Hoping the first motor dying was an anomaly

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
LOL, I just thought of great solution (for me) if I ever get an EP8 motor. Just throw a set of I9 or Chris King wheels on it. Then you get that cool constant clicking whenever you stop pedaling!

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Good luck finding the parts needed. Highly unlikely in the current climate.
Yeah you are right about parts but so far things I've needed have been available like cassettes and chains. But I've had a DVO shock on order for some time. They pushed delivery dates out to July now due to worldwide material shortages, maybe aluminum in this case. It will all eventually catch up. We're seeing the 300% lumber prices finally come down now. But a wheel purchase is pretty far in the future. I think my e8000 motor will last a while and my Focus with all the upgrades is still a good bike. I just have not seen another bike that jumps out at me as a major upgrade. If my motor dies someday I'll have to re-think everything and I hope the supply is better then.

We don't have the choices in the States of many ebikes like other areas of the world. For instance since Merida bike owns 49% of Specialized and they build their frames too and Merida has an agreement to not compete in the US...that really sucks. I think something like that is going with Focus too. I think Focus and and Santa Cruz have business ties that keeps Focus from competing in the US. Focus was here pretty early and then bailed around 2018 saying there were not enough sales. But they were too early and now ebikes are really catching on. That's why I got such a great deal on my Focus Jam2 plus C. All of this means we're being discriminated against because I think you can buy a Merida bike almost anywhere in the world except for North America. And I can only read about all the other brands offered to everyone except the USA at eMountainbike Magazine.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yeah you are right about parts but so far things I've needed have been available like cassettes and chains. But I've had a DVO shock on order for some time. They pushed delivery dates out to July now due to worldwide material shortages, maybe aluminum in this case. It will all eventually catch up. We're seeing the 300% lumber prices finally come down now. But a wheel purchase is pretty far in the future. I think my e8000 motor will last a while and my Focus with all the upgrades is still a good bike. I just have not seen another bike that jumps out at me as a major upgrade. If my motor dies someday I'll have to re-think everything and I hope the supply is better then.

We don't have the choices in the States of many ebikes like other areas of the world. For instance since Merida bike owns 49% of Specialized and they build their frames too and Merida has an agreement to not compete in the US...that really sucks. I think something like that is going with Focus too. I think Focus and and Santa Cruz have business ties that keeps Focus from competing in the US. Focus was here pretty early and then bailed around 2018 saying there were not enough sales. But they were too early and now ebikes are really catching on. That's why I got such a great deal on my Focus Jam2 plus C. All of this means we're being discriminated against because I think you can buy a Merida bike almost anywhere in the world except for North America. And I can only read about all the other brands offered to everyone except the USA at eMountainbike Magazine.

It's more of an issue with something like an eMTB motor though, since they're primarily OEM only. They'll be extremely rare to find for consumer purchases, and probably even more likely a challenge to get the wiring harnesses.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
It's more of an issue with something like an eMTB motor though, since they're primarily OEM only. They'll be extremely rare to find for consumer purchases, and probably even more likely a challenge to get the wiring harnesses.
Yes motors are difficult to find and I don't even think Shimano is selling the EP8 to anyone but bike builders. And the e8000 I've seen have been restricted to 15 mph (comes from Germany). One of the bikes I would love to try would be the LaPierre Zesty with the Fazua motor. There is a Bulls available here with the Fazua but it more of cross country bike with only 120mm of travel.

Struds

May 16, 2022
Jersey
If your E8000 is becoming problematic you might be interested in the Intradrive Powertrain that is being produced in Scotland, it's a motor and gearbox all-in-one replacement for the E8000/EP8, perhaps the future of eBikes.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you watch the videos from those guys up above, they come to the conclusion that there is little difference between the 2 motors. So, unless you have problems with your e8000 seems it's an expensive exercise with little improvement.
I can't disagree about the expense of the exercise, but I do disagree that there is little difference between the two motors. I went from a e8000 on a Focus Jam2 to an EP8 on a Merida e-One Sixty and I was very pleased indeed at the differences. That 21% more torque really makes its presence felt, provided you take advantage of the E-TUBE app (comes as standard) to tune the motor from the factory preset. The things you can do to the EP8 are beyond what can be done on the e8000 and they make a significant difference. I transformed @Davvee's new bike from disappointing to "WOW!" and it only took me a few minutes. :)

My mate is a faster rider than me, principally because he has fooled his e8000 into thinking the bike is only going at half the actual speed. He is still faster than me on the flat, but on the winding stuff he has to engage Boost to keep up when I am in Trail. Likewise, Trail when I'm in Eco.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles