Complaint to the manufacturers

IMeasureStuff

Aug 9, 2020
Australia
There is no issue at all using an extended dropper to clamp your bike into BUT there are a couple of good emtb practices you can adhere too.

1. Remove the battery if it's easy to do so. The reason for this is to make it easier to lift the bike on the stand and to minimise the chance of the stand falling over. The stability of those stands vary alot. If you have a Trek with a side load battery it takes about half a second to pop out that battery.

2. Ensure the Jaws on the clamp and the Seatpost is clean! It's a simple check but important. Because of the weight of an emtb and the fact that your dropper will have a very thin layer of grease on it (if maintained correctly), the bike is like to slide down unless that clamp is super snug. You don't want dirt, grit etc... scratching that stanchion.

3. Setting the angle of the jaws to minimise load on the droper. Sure your dropper can handle the bike in any orientation, but less load on a component is always a good thing on any part. To determine the angle is super easy, with one or two hands pick up the bike by the seat post, lift the bike up until it's completely off the ground, the bike will rotate into its natural position when held by the seatpost, that's about the angle you need to set your clamp at. It's not critical, but it's a nice touch.

Also while I'm here, learn to rebuild your own dropper! With the right tools and a bit of the correct grease it's generally very easy. You don't need to replace any parts unless they are worn or broken. Just strip, clean, lubricate and reassemble and you are good as new, and if you have a cheap dropper it will be better than new!

olde-mtber

Nov 1, 2019
New Zealand
This used to be a no-no with early droppers (especially the Reverb). But assume current/simpler droppers are happy to support the weight of the bike now?
I weigh 92kgs and the bontrager post on my Trek fs5 Powerfly supports my weight so one would presume the dropper post would be capable of supporting the 23kgs of the bike. My bike shop clamps via dropper post no problems

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I weigh 92kgs and the bontrager post on my Trek fs5 Powerfly supports my weight so one would presume the dropper post would be capable of supporting the 23kgs of the bike. My bike shop clamps via dropper post no problems
Exactly ! ?as long as it's clamped at full extension so that air can't get forced past the seals and mix with the oil, which would result in a saggy post ?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Exactly ! ?as long as it's clamped at full extension so that air can't get forced past the seals and mix with the oil, which would result in a saggy post
It was the squishy post people were trying to avoid with the Reverbs, not the weight. Down to the seal design IMO, air could get past just from use so they always ended up with air in the damper oil.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
pictures, hmmm im trying to master them.
When you're composing your reply. Press Enter if you've entered some text so you're on a new line :

Then click the "picture" button in the formatting bar above the text - it's the one between the chain (link) and smiley's.

The picture should appear, but may take a few seconds to full upload. You can then type more after it or add more pictures.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles