Complaint to the manufacturers

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Why dont manufacturers build in a maintainance point , say a universal 19mm hole, nicely balanced so you can easily elevate your machine and work on it. grrrrr.
My bike has a carbon frame, it looks sexy as you like, looks fantastic, not a straight concentric level tube in sight, what a pita to grip it and hold it up to work on. What say the population?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
drill.jpg

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
The bottle cage must be close to the C of G in many cases, so with a bit of reinforcement it could become the attachment point for an anyways-up Techno-pivot.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
The bottle cage must be close to the C of G in many cases, so with a bit of reinforcement it could become the attachment point for an anyways-up Techno-pivot.
Ive thought of that,the bottle cage is quite tight under the shock as is.I had to use a side access cage. The point is, it should be there from the drawing board.Im really scratching ones head with this. Ive had the tig out today, trying to weld up a solution , but ive failed to secure a solid connection as such, the top tube tapers and is a diamond shape.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
There's a nice hole right through the crank, and it's a strong point. I think the problem is that stands aren't being designed with this ideal strong point in mind.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
There's a nice hole right through the crank, and it's a strong point. I think the problem is that stands aren't being designed with this ideal strong point in mind.
Granite designs make a stand for that very thing. Topeak make one too. But there's no hollow crank on my eeb. There is on my accoustic

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
workstand clamp around the seat post - job done!

I dont want any extra re-inforcing , tubes or more accurately extra weight adding to my bike - thanks.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
I might be over-thinking this , but workstand + clamp onto seat post= job done. Or just two bits of wood a seat tube width apart so you can hang the bike from the saddle
Its very front heavy, its an emtb,youve the motor and battery to battle with.I spoke to cannondale on this, it would make it so much better to hang the bike for for repairs and maintainance, for locking it up, and fixing to the car. They wasnt interested. not gonna happen was the reply.Lead the way i said. not gonna happen. He said a bicycle was a basic item. 4500 pounds is a basic item? .A 99 pound bike from halfords is a basic item.Poor show.
He suggested a false top post, however the hunt is on for a post that will take 25 kilos.Still looking .

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Its very front heavy, its an emtb,youve the motor and battery to battle with.I spoke to cannondale on this, it would make it so much better to hang the bike for for repairs and maintainance, for locking it up, and fixing to the car. They wasnt interested. not gonna happen was the reply.Lead the way i said. not gonna happen. He said a bicycle was a basic item. 4500 pounds is a basic item? .A 99 pound bike from halfords is a basic item.Poor show.
He suggested a false top post, however the hunt is on for a post that will take 25 kilos.Still looking .

I think what they mean by "a bicycle was a basic item" - is that it has a single purpose and is designed with fulfilling that purpose most efficiently in mind. When you start adding on extra bits like 'jacking point' you start to move away from that single purpose and adding extra weight that is not necessary for performing that single purpose - ie agreeing with my point above - I think. He's not saying that its basic in terms of being cheap or simple because it clearly isnt.

I have no issue clamping my ebike by the seatpost, it works fine. I really dont want it heavier than it is because it has jacking points, hanging brackets , a kickstand or any of that sh1te.

Last edited:

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
I think what they mean by "a bicycle was a basic item" - is that it has a single purpose and is designed with fulfilling that purpose most efficiently in mind. When you start adding on extra bits like 'jacking point' you start to move away from that single purpose and adding extra weight that is not necessary for performing that single purpose - ie agreeing with my point above - I think. He's not saying that its basic in terms of being cheap or simple because it clearly isnt.

I have no issue clamping my ebike by the seatpost, it works fine. I really dont want it heavier than it is because it has jacking points, hanging brackets , a kickstand or any of that sh1te.
It could simply be a nicely designed hole in the frame, making it lighter as its a hole.With a simple plastic plug to hide it up.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I might be over-thinking this , but workstand + clamp onto seat post= job done. Or just two bits of wood a seat tube width apart so you can hang the bike from the saddle
This used to be a no-no with early droppers (especially the Reverb). But assume current/simpler droppers are happy to support the weight of the bike now?

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
watching the videos, you have to fully extend it. i need to source a cross bar for the bike. clamping the carbon isnt a great idea.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My LBS pulled the dropper out a bit so that he could clamp on the dropper body. It's a very strong place to clamp. The dropper is designed to deal with my 92kg weight levering way on it, so the seat tube is strong enough too. LBS does this all the time.

The problem was that when he shoved the dropper back in to its previous position he didn't also pull on the dropper cable at the remote end. The cable twisted at the bottom of the dropper and refused to work. New cable needed!

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
I cant move my seat post dropper in or out, its got a sort of mechanical brake cable on it, and you have to remove the motor to free the cable in or out, it wraps around the motor thus trapping it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The LBS and many others advocate using the seatpost to clamp upon. Park Tool has a video that does an investigations into whether the seat tube is strong enough and concluded convincingly that it was. Despite that I prefer not to follow that practice because the bike moves about rather alarmingly for my taste. I still clamp there, but let the front wheel touch the floor. That stabilises the whole thing much more to my taste. If I need to work on the front end, I drape the bike over the top of my workstand. The space between the top of the downtube and the fork is perfect.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
Please take time to watch the video I posted above. In short, yes it’s fine to clamp on the seat post of dropper. But for safety it should be at the most extended position

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
A dropper seat post is designed to take a lot more weight than you think. After all, it supports your weight. You're a lot heavier than a eMTB. Watch the ParkTool video @Andrie linked to. And discussed further in this thread

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
We have been here before!!
Just a point on the "hole" idea. Extruded ally pipes are designed both in terms of profile and material thickness to withstand specific vector forces. The top tube is designed largely to withstand compression and has much less strength in the vertical plane. All of that applies far more in carbon composite tubes. In addition, both are welded or bonded to other parts of the frame Those welds/bonds are also not strong in the vertical plane.
I am not keen on hanging my bikes from the dropper posts so bought a Park Tool PRS 22-2. Feedback do a similar workstand called the Sports Sprint. Both support the bike using a combination of a fork mount and a support under the BB area. I use my workstand with both a Levo and Whyte 180RS and really like it.....especially being able to rotate the stand to gain access to both sides of the bike.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
Ive already got a homemade bike stand which is bombproof, i reckon i could hold my old analogue bike in it and sit on it and pedal. Its made from 30x30mm steel box, today ive extended its height by 300mm, as the emtb is sooo much taller. next im making a bar to span under the handlebars and going backwards to sit under the seat. No way am i clamping carbon,im sure it will crunch, its not made to be clamped there.clamping the seat post will only elevate the rear wheel.
The bike sits front heavy due to the battery and motor, but suspending it from the bars and seat should be ok.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Ive already got a homemade bike stand which is bombproof, i reckon i could hold my old analogue bike in it and sit on it and pedal. Its made from 30x30mm steel box, today ive extended its height by 300mm, as the emtb is sooo much taller. next im making a bar to span under the handlebars and going backwards to sit under the seat. No way am i clamping carbon,im sure it will crunch, its not made to be clamped there.clamping the seat post will only elevate the rear wheel.
The bike sits front heavy due to the battery and motor, but suspending it from the bars and seat should be ok.
Got a pic?

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
The main frame of my bike stand is now 300 mm longer, im going to make a pop in top tube to go in between the fork stem and a fully extended seat post. pictures, hmmm im trying to master them. Ill hook up my i phone, pay the five quid to go advert free,then try again. watch this space.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
A dropper seat post is designed to take a lot more weight than you think. After all, it supports your weight. You're a lot heavier than a eMTB.
You can stand on eggs if you apply the pressure in the right direction:

It's not the load on a dropper that's the concern, it's the direction of the load.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles