Coil shock

Craig64

Feb 12, 2021
Derbyshire
On one of the posts I said I was fine with the stock fox dps rear shock, that was in the middle of winter, so mud bike puddles ice and general crap, over the last few weeks it’s dried out a lot and I’m now pushing my whyte a lot harder.
ive found it’s fine for a few miles then just can’t cope probably just getting to hot.
The rear max is is suffering, the knobs are starting to lift of the carcas, so the tyre is doing to much of the shocks job. So went for it.

813A7F14-9D94-4E19-B56D-A8BDD2AF0CF2.jpeg

D2333629-98B6-4FB8-8134-2FD51075D0D2.jpeg

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Be interested to see how this pans out. Despite the e180 v1 having a coil the general consensus was that the bike wasn't set up progressive enough for a coil to work well.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Any update after the weekend? Very interested to find how it went after rattling my way round Afan today.

Is the progressive spring enough to keep things playful?

Craig64

Feb 12, 2021
Derbyshire
Went out yesterday, 17 miles on Cannock Chase, this has changed the character of the bike,

Fox and Rockshox say as a rule of thumb your body weight in lbs is the starting point for the psi in the rear shock,

I’m 13 stone, 82.5 kgs or 182 lbs with shoes helmet and back pack,

When I bought the bike we set the static sag with 190 psi, trails dried out and I had to add air due to bottoming out, I ended up @ 240 psi, not good,

Yesterday I wussed it, played with the compression damping and the climb switch, put it back to factory and left the climb switch alone, the just rode it, the trails got busy and lost time, a lot,

Went back to cannock this morning early only a few out,
7225A2F0-D444-4C54-BE09-A0FD23D9CB2D.jpeg

Craig64

Feb 12, 2021
Derbyshire
A bit of an update, last weekend I went to the Lake District and had a morning at Whinlatter, I had a cube e full sus, not one of the top of the range a pretty low spec one rockshox 35 forks base rear shock and nx drive chain, it reminded me that I quite liked cubes high bb height, no peddle strikes, what I didn’t like was the steering angle, a 180 uphill turn on roots and slates with no forward momentum I hit a dead stop, on my Whyte I would just pop the front up and flick the tyre over to a different line, no issu.

2 weeks ago sorry did mean to put an update in, I was at Cannock Chase and managed to bottom out the rear shock, my bag, fluffed a drop , take of was rubbish all over the place stayed on but landed really hard, mostly on the back wheel, slammed the front down, not pretty or graceful,

went back to cannock this morning with a plan to push the rubber bump stop up the shock to check how much I’m using on each trail, unfortunately the nephew had an of, a few chunks out of his elbow. A bit of a hole just above his hip and nice graze on his new so best laid plans went sideways, I will try and do this just to get an idea of how much travel I’m using, just to note I hit the same drop this morning with no issues ?

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
I went with the DVO JADE coil shock, it handles the aggressive leverage, and shaft speeds the Whyte frame generates - Also has the bladder damper, so no excessive overheating
Is the the Jade or the Jade X ? I was looking at the Jade but wanted to see I could settle with the standard shock on the 160rs v2 but just feel like there is little life in it, maybe its me I don't know as I am not the greatest of riders etc

Geetsrevoel

Sep 11, 2020
Scotland
On one of the posts I said I was fine with the stock fox dps rear shock, that was in the middle of winter, so mud bike puddles ice and general crap, over the last few weeks it’s dried out a lot and I’m now pushing my whyte a lot harder.
ive found it’s fine for a few miles then just can’t cope probably just getting to hot.
The rear max is is suffering, the knobs are starting to lift of the carcas, so the tyre is doing to much of the shocks job. So went for it.

View attachment 60194

View attachment 60195
How you getting on with your Cane Creek Coil?

I have a E-160RS and my DPS air shock is near end of life and I'm looking at coils (Cane Creek or DVO Jade X).

I often ride pretty aggressively over chunky stuff but a little dubious on comments from others sating that Whyte EMTBS suspension design/frame is not so good for coils. The last thing i would like is to spend £600 on a decent coil setup for it blow in a couple of months.

Apr 14, 2020
Surrey, UK
The suspension is quite progressive , about 28% so ideal for coils, I have tried DVO and Ohlins both no issues whatsoever, both as good as each other but the DVO much better value at full retail price

Apr 14, 2020
Surrey, UK
Would love to try an EXT, chatting to a chap on Saturday who had the ext fork and shock on a Druid and absolutely loves them, would take big save up for those though 😁

Geetsrevoel

Sep 11, 2020
Scotland
Transformed, in what way?
Thee first things I noticed was a big difference in braking with the rear feeling glued to the ground. Not much skipping about.
In my opinion eMTBs are generally planted because of their weight anyway but now the bike is more planted, smooth and takes everything in its stride way better. I hit rock gardens and rough route sections with more pace, ease and pleasure now.
Also, before my DPS air shock was shot and lacking performance come the end of a long testing trail. The coil just keeps on giving. Overall it’s feels like it’s what the bike has been asking for and as a result it gives me much more confidence to hitting things quicker, smoother, with less fatigue at the end of the run too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles