Coil Shock

Jimex

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Anyone running a coil rear shock on their Haibike? Just interested if anyone swapped the air can out and what folk think.

Johneracer

Sep 17, 2020
USA
I did. i have a 2019 all mountain 6.0 and just did the coil swap. I think I will do the front too. Much better, smoother in the back. it Really makes me wonder why use the air springs at all, other than weight what is the point? Spring just works better.

AJR

Jan 6, 2019
Essex
Magic carpet ride, coil bombers front and back

IMG_20200728_142103_926.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Thread resurrection time

I am tentatively musing around the fitment of a coil to my bike but I'm struggling to find any leverage ratios for pretty much all of the Haibike range, let alone my 2020 AllMtn 3.0. The NDuro 8 does use an Ohlins TTX but it's also 180mm travel so I imagine that the whole setup could be very different to mine.

I'm not a big hitter by any means so I'm not overly worried about bottoming out but neither do I want it to blow through travel like a galactic mileage Citroen 2CV.

Further, I'm not sure if AJR is still on the forum but I could do with knowing what # his spring was/his weight to at least give me some idea!

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Answering my own question but did manage to find a leverage graph for the bike. Seems progressive to me but not sure if it's progressive enough for a coil... :unsure:

Also found TFT's spring calculator which gets me around 450~500lb so thats a handy start.

Haibike XDURO AllMtn 2020_LevRatio.gif

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Answering my own question but did manage to find a leverage graph for the bike. Seems progressive to me but not sure if it's progressive enough for a coil... :unsure:

Also found TFT's spring calculator which gets me around 450~500lb so thats a handy start.

View attachment 84535
Did you ever pursue this further and get a coil shock fitted?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Hi, no I didn't. I went for a MegNeg just to try it out given the relatively cheap cost and fact I could re-sell it for a small loss if I didn't like it.

After riding it on all terrains at Morzine I loved it, so much so that I'm not considering a coil for the rear now, my next upgrade will be forks instead I think.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles