Coil Shock, anyone?

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this question, guessing there may be a few more tinkerers over here...
Given the different needs of an ebike, such as climbing under more power, sheer weight and overall higher speed averages, I'm thinking coil will be the way to go. Never been an airspring fan.
Anyone have experience with various rear coils that they want to share? My bike is Exodus Evolve, which is essentially re-badged Lightcarbon..

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I think the big reason that air springs are popular is because of the weight savings. On an eMTB, weight is not as much of a consideration as it is on an Amish MTB. So there's the temptation to just stick a coil shock on the bike and hit the trails.

HOWEVER...
An air spring rate is not linear. It's has a rising rate. The design of the suspension on a bike made for an air shock can be more linear. Put it all together, and you have a sweet ride with the perfect amount of rising rate.

A regular coil spring, on the other hand, is going to have a linear spring rate. The suspension on a bike that was made for a coil shock is going to have a greater rising rate to provide the best ride.

If you stick a coil shock on a frame that was designed for an air shock, you might have insufficient rise, and you'll end up just blowing through the travel without increased resistance to movement.

Put an air shock on a bike that was made for a coil shock, and you might end up with such a huge rate of rise that you have to compensate by futzing around with tokens and oversize air cans.

There's some overlap, and a lot of bikes can work well with either kind of shock. I don't know about your Evolve, but these are questions you need to ask someone who REALLY knows about bike suspensions, and specifically, your bike.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
If we're talking about the dengfu E10 then I believe an air shock would work better, because the frame is not too progressive (14%) by design

BastR

Aug 1, 2022
France
IMG_7065.JPG

Cane creek progressive coil
More grip for climbing
Much more confort for the downhill
A must have for hard rock riding

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
Thanks for replies! The frame is Lightcarbon LCES004, I believe.
I can say from years of MTB and Moto riding that airsprings sound great on paper, but aren't always up to the big jobs. A few moto companies have attempted various versions that riders never seem to like. I do intend to ride this thing like a moto bike whenever possible, going at the rough stuff pretty hard and fast. The coil seems like it could be the answer to heavy duty, heavy-ish rider application.
Currently has a DVO Topaz air shock, seems to be fine overall. Fairly adjustable. Couple places to add air for tuning the spring and the damping. Probably considering coil options from DVO, Rockshox (to match the ZEB on front) or Ohlins...?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles