Levo Gen 3 Clunk from motor on Specialized Gen3 levo

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this on their levos, mines the Gen 3 comp carbon.
There's a clunk which I don't recall noticing before coming from the motor which is felt through the crank arms.
It is when you stop pedaling when in either eco, trail, or turbo, it doesn't do it when the motor is switched off and pedaling, so it rules out drivetrail ect.

It's when you stop pedaling there's an instant clunk felt asthough the motor hasn't switched off the power instantly and there's a split second delay like an overrun of the motor still delivering the power to the crank. I've checked the chain and there's no wear. Is this normal? It's not a really loud clunk but you can definitely hear it and feel it through the Pedals. It's not as noticeable when in micro tune and set at 10% Only way to describe it is it's something you'd expect to happen if there was play in the rear cassette.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
It's difficult to try explain it, it's between a slightly clunk or knock immediately after stopping pedaling. It's simular to what you get when back pedaling on a normal bike then quickly rotate the Pedals forward whilst stationery, you get that clunk when the ratchet of the rear cassette engages against the internal ratchet.
It's when the motor and crank immediately stop, its asthough it's caused by the motor running on for a fraction of a second.

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
Check all the motor bolts, I had the same thing on my ‘19 Levo and the motor was a bit loose, tighten the bolts problem solve, clunk went away.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Check all the motor bolts, I had the same thing on my ‘19 Levo and the motor was a bit loose, tighten the bolts problem solve, clunk went away.

Cheers will have a look at the bolts, the bike is under warranty and yet to have its first service, I noticed that the rear cassette too has sideways play. I don't think this is causing the problem as its definitely coming from the motor.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Cheers will have a look at the bolts, the bike is under warranty and yet to have its first service, I noticed that the rear cassette too has sideways play. I don't think this is causing the problem as its definitely coming from the motor.

Hard to narrow down noises when you know there are other things loose on the bike. It's just a waste of time.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
maybe try setting acceleration response to 0% and see if it makes a difference

Yeah thought of that too as it doesn't do it when in micro mode set at 10%. Will give it a go next time I'm on it. Think acceleration and shuttle were set at 80%

jwcarver1

Aug 11, 2022
Arizona
I have the same clunking sound as well. My wife has the same bike as well but no clunk. I took it to my dealer for the 90 day inspection and they said they could not duplicate the sound. I went there today and instantly showed them. While they had it they downloaded the latest software and that it should take care of it. Well it didn’t! They started a warranty claim and will speak with their rep.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
It could be the sprag bearing not releasing . Spesh say .2 of a second over run is normal. My motor was over running a second or two .Contacted Spesh they said it could be the drive train. So I replaced it didn't make any difference ! Eventually the motor died and wouldnt drive at all. Warranty for new motor.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles