• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

chip detectable after removing?

SteveD

Dec 9, 2022
Belgium
I'm concidering of chipping my emtb (Bosh motor). Is it possible that the manufacturer can detect there was a chip even after removing it?
Are the logs of your rides stored on your bike? or how does it work?
Is it possible to detect you were riding 35km/h a few weeks ago? Or is everything back to normal after removing the chip?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
With Gen 2 bosch system, if it did not put the motor into crawl mode when the chip was in use I doubt there is any data to prove it was used in the past. Gen 3 ( Bosch Smart System) could well be different given the significantly extra data capture capability it has compared to Gen 2. It would certainly be capable of monitoring bike speed in relation to power usage and crank torque average over a specific period of time. If the bike is blu tooth enabled it would not need to store vast amounts of that data either since it would be sent to the Bosch servers. The Bosch Smart System is pretty well protected so I doubt anyone outside of the Bosch software engineers know what systems it monitors but I am sure it includes a far more sophisticated set of measures to defeat derestriction than previous generations....and will continue to evolve.

SteveD

Dec 9, 2022
Belgium
With Gen 2 bosch system, if it did not put the motor into crawl mode when the chip was in use I doubt there is any data to prove it was used in the past. Gen 3 ( Bosch Smart System) could well be different given the significantly extra data capture capability it has compared to Gen 2. It would certainly be capable of monitoring bike speed in relation to power usage and crank torque average over a specific period of time. If the bike is blu tooth enabled it would not need to store vast amounts of that data either since it would be sent to the Bosch servers. The Bosch Smart System is pretty well protected so I doubt anyone outside of the Bosch software engineers know what systems it monitors but I am sure it includes a far more sophisticated set of measures to defeat derestriction than previous generations....and will continue to evolve.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing, but I can't find any extra info about how 'smart' the Bosch Smart System really is.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles