Levo SL Gen 1 Check your lower pivot bolts

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
This has come up before in a number of threads, but it’s worth a refresh.

My year-old SL is in the LBS awaiting a warranty fix. The bearing on the lower chain-side pivot bolt has collapsed, likely due to the bolt becoming loose. I’m normally quite meticulous checking bolt tightness, but that one is behind the chainring so difficult to get to. At some point during the last ride is worked loose and mashed the bearing.

The symptoms were a wandering rear end. It took a while to figure out what was going on. I thought the rear wheel hub had fallen apart. Further investigations showed a lot of play at that lower pivot point. Seeing as it’s still under warranty I just dropped it off to be sorted (Ace Bicycles in Guildford are epic for this sort of thing).

It’s definitely worth you taking that chain-side crank off and checking the bolt tightness, and maybe popping some Loctite on there.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
This has come up before in a number of threads, but it’s worth a refresh.

My year-old SL is in the LBS awaiting a warranty fix. The bearing on the lower chain-side pivot bolt has collapsed, likely due to the bolt becoming loose. I’m normally quite meticulous checking bolt tightness, but that one is behind the chainring so difficult to get to. At some point during the last ride is worked loose and mashed the bearing.

The symptoms were a wandering rear end. It took a while to figure out what was going on. I thought the rear wheel hub had fallen apart. Further investigations showed a lot of play at that lower pivot point. Seeing as it’s still under warranty I just dropped it off to be sorted (Ace Bicycles in Guildford are epic for this sort of thing).

It’s definitely worth you taking that chain-side crank off and checking the bolt tightness, and maybe popping some Loctite on there.

Wonderful, one *more* thing to check. ;) But yeah, it sure seems like a good idea to check this occasionally.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles