Cheap electric cars : Citroen E-Mehari/Bollore Bluesummer LiFePo Battery Cars

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After reading @Rob Rides EMTB 's thread on the Home energy storage (to take advantage of cheap rates)

And @Mcharza's comment a few weeks ago about the LiFePo batteries in some cars

I thought I'd have another look at some of the electric car alternatives which might be a bit more re-cyclable or have longer life spans.

The Lithium Polymer batteries seem excellent, they don't use rare earth metals, are easy to re-cycle and are quoted as at least 3000 charge cycles, though the reality seems to be far higher assuming they aren't ever completely discharged.

I don't want something with 100000km's range and to be driving around in a 2.5 + tonne tank as my "local" pottering option, so a smaller battery works out viable for what I'd want ..

There are various options out there like this but I also quite fancied something fugly looking so it came down to the two in the title.

The E-Mehari :

1673773991711.png

The BlueSummer :

1673774098183.png

If they look similar, it's because the E-Mehari is based on the Bluesummer.

They both have a 30kwh battery. This in theory can give you upto 200km's range (I've seen one video where he drove it round paris and got to 250km's when it stopped, which is not good for the battery) Average is probably more like 120-150kms.

Seems perfect .. Ecological ! Clean ! Sensible ..

Except it's not ... There's a huge problem with them which isn't immediately obvious ..

The Polymer battery has to be kept at between 60c and 80c !!! Yes, you read that right. So when it's not plugged in, it uses it's own power to heat itself. Fine, most electric cars heat their batteries when it's cold to save the batteries and improve efficiency, but these have to do it all the time.

How much heat it will need will depend on ambient temperatures. But on average it will be using 2% of it's capacity per hour just to stay alive. If it's colder, that will be worse.

What does that mean in real world terms .. Basically, your eco electric car will literally waste at least 4500 kwh per year just to exist. So enough to drive at least 30000km's ! Here, that would mean you're spending about €700 a year just to heat your garden with your car. If you could park in your house, that might be ok, as the latent heat lost from the battery would be heating your house.

You might think, ok, average it out compared to a petrol car and if you use it every day, it's not too bad. You could could charge it on cheap rate and then let it use it's stored power to heat itself during the day, so you keep your electric cost low ish (the €700 quoted above is using this method).

The downside to that is that you're then using charge cycles and wearing your battery out just to keep your battery alive. If it's plugged in constantly, then the battery heaters will be run from the mains and there won't be any battery cycles.

They still look quite fun though. You could probably squeeze a bike between the two rear pillars and the whole thing can be hosed out and has drainage holes. A tow bar is possible too, so you could have a bike rack if you didn't want to have it perched on/in the thing.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After more research the "eco" side is even worse ..

When batteries failed it seems they just made sure they were flat and land filled them ... :(:poop:

All is not lost though .. If you want a cheap electric convertible

for only €1800 ...

Surely they are taking the pee ?

1673808275908.png

Or for €850 with one careful lady driver...

1673808307972.png

Just ..... How ??? I forgot my MTB so took my Goupil down the DH track ?

I have found an Mitsubish I-MIEV with only 1337 km's ! for €3500 ...

1673808400722.png

But the battery is fecked and a new one is €15000 .... Which I think falls outside of eco economy and ecology ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So keep riding your emtb :unsure:
My dog is lazy .. (not me, a fireman friend)

1673809153151.png

And he likes to go with me .. Doesn't work on the bike as I live in the country and I become boring very quickly and deer become way more interesting ..

Also, he's sh1t on DH .. (he's way quicker....)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
xcept it's not ... There's a huge problem with them which isn't immediately obvious ..

The Polymer battery has to be kept at between 60c and 80c !!! Yes, you read that right. So when it's not plugged in, it uses it's own power to heat itself. Fine, most electric cars heat their batteries when it's cold to save the batteries and improve efficiency, but these have to do it all the time.
Are you sure? I couldn't see any mention of it in the handbook.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ultimately .. for me .. as much as I'd like to, it's not practical to do everything on a bike ..

Yes, you can date - and turn up sweaty and covered in mud - because hell, we like MTB and you're not going to take the boring route :cool:

You can shop - but if you like beer and wine, they don't do that in condensed versions - in fairness, normal foods can be kept relatively small ..

But if you want to work (with your hands) and it involves moving small things, even tools, it doesn't take long before a bike is impractical .

There is no ideal ..

My days of stupid cars. I gave everything away. They even embarrasse me - I'm a peasant in a shack . For me, I like it. But you end up constantly addressing what you do and trying to improve things. It's not as easy as you'd imagine.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK, so that's quite amusing that just searching even for battery and other information doesn't tell you any of that :)

Here's quite a good thread (in french - it is a french car) .....

Use google translate, but there's several owner experiences.. even to the end where someone who's quite passionate about it, who admits that 20%of his electric is driving and 80% is heating the battery :-(

The "bluecar" is the same base as the "Bluesummer" and he "E-Mehari" .. even has a stainless body !

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
My dog is lazy .. (not me, a fireman friend)

View attachment 104636

And he likes to go with me .. Doesn't work on the bike as I live in the country and I become boring very quickly and deer become way more interesting ..

Also, he's sh1t on DH .. (he's way quicker....)
Couldn't you just keep the doggie's bed on top of the car battery?
A dog that size should keep it nice and cosy and save you lots of electricity.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Stop being so sensible! Save the planet and buy an electric car..........the fact it is useless is not the point. In any case soon the entire planet will be much hotter than is needed to keep those batteries warm.......well that is if the car last for a couple of hundred years and we do not have an ice age before then. Do your duty! ( I assume those cars have built in masks)
:p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I wish we had more cheap, small cars in the US, both electric and gas. Our primary car is a Tesla, and I'm well sold on the advantages of electric. We rarely need a second car, so we have a Smart also. Great little car, which I absolutely love for no rational reason; neat to drive, so easy to drive. They are no longer being sold here, because America's won't buy small cars. In fact idiots tell me they'd never drive one because they would feel judged, or because although the safety rating is very good, they "feel" like it wouldn't be safe.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s a “wait and see” here for us. Single car since I practically gave away the 1-Ton GMC Sierra. I probably supported an oil refinery with this guzzler, but it paid for itself. Was fast too.

My first go at “E” was the Rail 9.7 in 2019. In the next few years we’re gonna consider an E-SUV. I think there’s still a few things to sort out. Range is not an issue for us, but temperature is. It gets cold here. Then range would become an issue.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
The EV equation is different everywhere, for sure. In AZ we have temps that EVs like (except part of summer at 110 degrees) and the electric rates are insanely low. It costs me under 1.4 cents/mile in summer and 1.2 cents in winter.

I wish I could pull power from the car to charge the eMTB...

1674061797685.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
On our street now there are several EV’s. (25-30%) of different manufacturers. They’re so friggen quiet. Washing my bike at the end of the driveway and BOOM …there’s one next to me. 😱

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles