Charging options while traveling?

ChipsNMud

Sep 3, 2021
Denver
I’m researching options on how to charge my 2022 Turbo Levo bikes while on-the-road. Of course one option is to take the bikes into the hotel room, however that can be a hassle, even IF the hotel allows bikes inside. My setup is a Ford Transit Connect Van where I take the front wheels off to store/attach forks to inside of van for transport. Given the weight of bikes I’d like to keep bikes inside van AND charge them while not in use (overnight at hotel). The bikes are safe inside the van -vs-on a bike rack. I’ve thought about an extension cord, but that leaves a door open/cracked. I could of course take the batteries out of the bikes (Turbo Levo gives me that option vs the SL model), but again I’m trying to see if anyone else has found a better solution?

Also, I was wondering if there was an equivalent battery I could use to charge the bikes while in the van and then charge those batteries from the hotel room while riding during the day (sorta like using a mophie battery to charge your smart phone when away from an outlet)? Yes, I could take the batteries out of the bikes, but just looking to see if anyone has better ideas? Also any good inverter, etc. recommendations to charge bikes while driving my van to locations between rides. I have charging plugs in back of van (old cigarette lighter plugs), but didn’t know if that was enough power to charge a Levo battery?

Thanks,
David

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
One option

There are several threads about charging with inverters and/or second batteries in the vehicle.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Ego Power has several sizes of batteries and two inverters. Their "Nexus" is probably overkill but it is also pure sine wave which most chargers recommend. The 7.5 AH battery has about 420 WH so two of them should fully charge an empty Levo battery.

Our plan is to ride a 68 mile roundtrip (Virginia Creeper Trail) and we are pretty sure the bikes won't make it all the way on one charge since from mile 17 to 34 the trail goes up at an increasing grade. We expect to recharge from our cars at lunch to complete the ride.

Last edited:

ChipsNMud

Sep 3, 2021
Denver
Awesome. Thanks guys. The EGO item is a great idea, especially since I own their mower, leaf blower and snow blower!!!

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
how about you have a plug on the outside of your van for the end of an extension cord that is connected to a power point on the inside of the van effectively giving you power inside your van when connected to an extension cord

BIG-DUKE-6

Feb 21, 2023
Usa
all the towns around the VCT are extremely bike friendly, I think you are fine bringing your bike into the room. You could always take a 1 1/2 hour break in Damascus and top your battery off at the bike shop

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles