Charging from a vehicle ?

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Anyone tried one of these?
Idealplusing 10a 420w 12v/24v To 42v Dc Dc Boost Inverter Power Supply Converter - Buy Power Supply 42v,9v To 12v Converter,240w Power Supply Product on Alibaba.com

IDEALPLUSING-10A-420W-12v-24v-to-42v.jpg
DC-DC charger, so much more efficient that DC-AC-DC.....

Aleksius

Mar 6, 2021
Finland
My Skoda has an inverter plug that I’ve occasionally used to charge my previous ebike. Not the fastest and the car needs to be running or it will turn off the power to the plug after 15 minutes. But anyhoo I was thinking to try a DC charger this time around.

Any thoughts on this? BMZ makes the chargers for Focus for example

Cost isn’t too bad, first google hit:

I need to dome some hard thinking if the DC charger can push in more Watts than regular charger using the cars built in inverter.

Aleksius

Mar 6, 2021
Finland
To answer myself the standard Levo charger has an output rating of 42V 4A whereas the linked DC charger has 42V 2A output so basically half.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
To answer myself the standard Levo charger has an output rating of 42V 4A whereas the linked DC charger has 42V 2A output so basically half.
I found a Bosch charger for 12v car use , they no longer make them , but it says they are unsuitable for charging the battery if it’s below 40% . O would imagine if would take a long time and you need to be driving for at least some of the time . I think an inverter will be cheaper and hopefully more efficient , just need to Wade through the minefield of inverters on sale

Petrex

Jul 20, 2022
UK
If not already mentioned ?
Charger for Specialized needs 5V on the plug signal pin (forget the pin number) to start charging.
Could probably be added to a generic charger setup from the charger PCB.

Just got a BMW Levo charger and it works for my Turbo Levo Comp Alloy 👍
3 left as I type ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles