Charging EMTBs in the Field

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
I bought a "JEEP" of an EMTB for hunting (E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown) with two batteries that powers its two hub motors. To be able to stay in the field hunting or exploring old Nevada mining ghost towns I needed a way to charge the bike.
Rejecting a small Honda gas generator was easy. I didn't want to carry a bunch of gas cans around.
The (expensive) answer was get a "power center" and a solar power source. The power center is a BLUETTI AC200 MAX and the solar power source to charge it is a 220 watt Off Grid TREK foldable solar "blanket".
The TREK solar blanket nicely fits the top of my MAZDA CX-5 where it is cable locked to the permanent roof racks. The AC200 MAX sits in the trunk and charges all day from the "blanket". In the late afternoon i return and plug my bike into the power center for a refill. Fortunately E-CELLS had the foresight to install a single charge port (patented) for simultaneous charging of the two batteries.
The only fly in the beer is that the AC200 MAX charges much more slowly than its competitors. This may be a function of the chemistry of the lithium iron phosphate battery - or a software glitch (I hope).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles