CHARGING E-MBT BIKES "IN THE FIELD" expensive solutions.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
DAYMN! It is expensive to charge e-mbts in the field, away from 120 volt current.
OPTIONS:
1.) Solar Panels & "Solar Generators"/Li-ion or Li-Fe Phosphorus batteries.
2.) ICE generators like Honda makes for example.

A Honda generator will cost at least $1,000.+ and the solar panel/battery "generator" way would be closer to $3,000. !!

Geeze oh man! We need better batteries than the current Li-ion technology. Hopefully the new "Dry Cell" batteries will be an answer. This would be BOTH in the bike batteries and the "solar generator" batteries like the Bluetti 300. Fingers crossed.🤞 Prayers said🙏

Last edited:

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I use a bluetti eb70s, and 200w of solar. I charge the bikes off of the eb70s when parked and I re-charge teh bluetti with the solar panels. When moving, I charge the eb70s through 12v dc feed from the vehicle and I charge the two ebikes utilizing a 1000w pure sign wave inverter that is separate from the eb70s. That way, I can charge both ebikes and the bluetti at the same time when rolling down the road. Within 4 hours, I can charge all 3 batteries from 0% to 80%. It's a bit easier to balance for me because both the bikes are orbea rises, so I can use the range extenders to help make the battery charging and management easier.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
ebsocalmtb,
So I took your advice and bought: 1.) BLUETTI AC200 MAX battery "power center" 2.) Off Grid TREK 220 watt foldable solar "blanket"
The TREK blanket fits nicely on the roof of my MAZDA CX-5 suv where it is cable locked to the permanent roof racks. Its wires run into the trunk and plug into the AC200 MAX. In the late afternoon I return with the bike and plug its single charge port into the AC200 MAX for a refill. Fairly simple, yeah, but that solution cost me over $3,400.
Yes, it is also a great system for home power outages, and in a climate change world those outages are happening much more often. Nice to have that backup to keep a fridge going and save a lot of food.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles