Levo SL Gen 1 Charge Limit

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I just received this:

I didn’t realize this was a problem. Does anyone know how much impact this has on the battery? I often fully charge my SL.
8576EF1A-DE5C-4CF8-B86C-229EFDF4E6E2.png
76DE5C59-C7B8-4BFC-8F4A-6EFFDA5FDB19.png

drm31078

Dec 31, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
Also, why are the last few updates requiring you to go to a dealer for update? Super frustrating.

Can I just bring the TCU into the dealer or do I need to bring the whole bike?

Last edited:

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Also, why are the last few updates requiring you to go to a dealer for update? Super frustrating.
This one does not if you are current. I just did it in my garage with a nice Pinot Noir. 😆

Previous updates that require a dealer update are most likely because you could brick the bike if your update failed.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Seems like a dumb "feature" to add. If I had a 700wh battery and only wanted to charge it to 80%, I'd buy a bike with a. 560wh battery. It would be cheaper and lighter. More than likely, this is a scheme by Specialized to squeeze a little more life out of their batteries, thus avoiding warranty replacements.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe you guys miss this point? I think point 3 is the most important.
Of course, if you know that you will need full capacity on your next ride, you will charge it to the full.

Why Use Charge Limit​

1. By keeping the battery 20-80% charged, you’re in the sweet spot to maximize battery health and longevity.
  2. Turbo System data shows the majority of daily commuters use 50% of the battery charge every day and then plug it in. So for many riders, with 80% of the total charge, you’ll have enough juice to get where you’re going and back home safely.
  3. The battery is best stored at 80% of the total charge for durations of up to one month. If you won’t be riding your Turbo for 3-4 weeks, turn on Charge Limit and leave it parked worry-free.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Most people on every post mostly miss the point whereas I just plug it in then unplug it , go riding and repeat with no issues 🤪
I think this will help commuters who use their bikes everyday and charge them to the max as habit !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As @Mcharza says, this is mainly if you don't ride your bike regularly as it's better to store your bike at 80% than 100% (for battery longevity).

Some people also want this option so they can potentially extend the life of their battery to it's maximum - a lot of those people bought 700wh batteries so they wouldn't have to use the full 700wh which would theoretically extend the battery life. If they'd bought 500's they'd have to use the full 500 for their rides.

This isn't Spesh trying to force something on your, it's a feature which people have been requesting for a few years which has finally been implemented. You don't have to use it, it's just a useful option if you're not planning to ride your bike for a few weeks, then when you do plan to ride, just top it upto the 100%.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Can I just bring the TCU into the dealer or do I need to bring the whole bike?
Try uninstalling and re-installing Mission Control, restart phone.

If that doesn't work, you would have to take the whole bike as there are different updates, TCU updates, Battery or Motor Firmware updates.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Try uninstalling and re-installing Mission Control, restart phone.

If that doesn't work, you would have to take the whole bike as there are different updates, TCU updates, Battery or Motor Firmware updates.
This update needs to be applied by an authorized Specialized retailer because there's also battery firmware update. That's the only reason.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
It's about time. I do this manually with a timer and still have 100% battery health with 170 cycles and 1.5 years of use.
Batterie still has like new range. I expect to get 1000 cycles before range starts to drop.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
This information concerning best management of Lithium batteries for maximum life has been available for years.............bit concerning that EMTB owners are not properly advised when buying their first bike. The reason for the advice is that the most damage done to Lithium cells is when they are completely discharged or charged to max.

PS..it does not just apply to the lithium battery in your bike!!

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Argh!
I think I must be one of few the sees the benefit - more so as its not forced and a toggle in the app has you back to full charge if required (I just had new battery warranty claim)
As the majority of my rides use 60% I see the benefits with the caveat that <10% battery does not force a limp mode
I work away and often run the battery down on last ride, now i can toggle to attain 80% and perhaps optimise battery health during my absence

DogRanger

Nov 24, 2021
Orange County, CA
This is a lithium battery thing. All recent Apple devices including my watch, iPhone and iPad) charge to 80% most of the time but do a "smart" analysis to charge to 100%. So if I put my device on the charger it sort of pauses at 80% for the sake of battery health and longevity. But if left on the charger overnight it learns my habits and charges to 100%.

I would love to see more data about how much damage you would do to your battery with various charging strategies. For me, unless I know there will be no riding for at least a week I charge to 100% because range anxiety is something that affects me more than long-term battery health concerns—within reason.

If I rode my bike like in Specialized's example, say a regular consistent commute where I never use that much battery on a daily ride, then I would be happy with this development. But that's not me nor probably not a lot of people here. I get on my bike and never know how long I'm going to ride that day. I might come home with 80% or 20% charge left on any given day.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Lipo batteries have to be used in a specific way to maximize their life span.
Your phone or tablet for example. If you only use it in the 20-80% range the battery will last for 10+ years with almost no change in total capacity. But, if you put it on the charger every night and let it soak at 100% and then occasionally let it go to zero. Then it will start fall off in under a year and be unusable in 2 years.

.zig

Oct 9, 2022
Central Florida
Seems like a dumb "feature" to add. If I had a 700wh battery and only wanted to charge it to 80%, I'd buy a bike with a. 560wh battery. It would be cheaper and lighter. More than likely, this is a scheme by Specialized to squeeze a little more life out of their batteries, thus avoiding warranty replacements.
Charging to 80% simply puts less strain on the battery, and if you’re not using 100%capacity anyway your battery should last longer charging to 80% rather than fully charging it each time. You do have the option to disable that function anytime you wish and it will charge to 100%. If the battery last longer, why complain regardless of their motivation?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I just received this:

I didn’t realize this was a problem. Does anyone know how much impact this has on the battery? I often fully charge my SL.
View attachment 106834 View attachment 106835
Not an expert but I usually charge mine to 100 as I like the freedom . I would charge to 70 ish and top up just before going out. Usually out 3 times a week and not using the full charge probably come back with 15 percent but varies. Battery will be 4 in June and has done 7000 miles. Tested it a few months ago and it still has the same range as when it was new .

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
The biggest ride I regularly do uses 50% of my 700Wh battery, so this feature is a winner for me. Plug in the charger and forget about having to manage the cutoff. Given I was recently told about AU$2000 for a new battery, I'm keen to prolong the life of this one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles