Changing to mt7 brakes

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I'm going from Sram Code R"s to Magura MT7's and when offering up the Magura caliper it looked like it would work with no alteration. We might have different set ups so not sure how helpful this is. All I know is that they're going to be night and day better because I have MT7's on my ebike and they're awesome.

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
I'm going from Sram Code R"s to Magura MT7's and when offering up the Magura caliper it looked like it would work with no alteration. We might have different set ups so not sure how helpful this is. All I know is that they're going to be night and day better because I have MT7's on my ebike and they're awesome.
Awesome this has made me
Decide to get them then

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Awesome here too. Went from Shimano to MT7’s. 220 rotor front, 203 rear. AXS GX shifter w/ipec (?). Tighten the brake lever top bolt (tight hanger) and tighten the lower bolt just enough to allow the entire brake lever/GX controller to spin on the bar incase you crash.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Just buy the correct Magura adapter.
Love mine…..
EE5CD051-7538-43B4-9374-1F20F0D10883.jpeg

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Need to also replace Sram hose with Magura hose. Sram Dot5 Magura Royal Blood/mineral oil so don’t mix well!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Any adapters "Should" work as they are normal standards, 160-180mm etc Post mount to post mount etc.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Bolt spacings and post depths are indeed standard but caliper designs are not. Maguras have one of the piston housings running tighter to the adapter than most IME. My MT5's do fit with Shimano spacers for example but its very, very close. The proper Magura adapters have deeper recesses in the adapter because of this. In short, I would always reccomend Magura adaptors with their calipers, unless you have some other make adapters sitting around which wont cost you anything to try.

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
Bolt spacings and post depths are indeed standard but caliper designs are not. Maguras have one of the piston housings running tighter to the adapter than most IME. My MT5's do fit with Shimano spacers for example but its very, very close. The proper Magura adapters have deeper recesses in the adapter because of this. In short, I would always reccomend Magura adaptors with their calipers, unless you have some other make adapters sitting around which wont cost you anything to try.
But how do I know which ones

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
But how do I know which ones
Find out what your fork/frame designed rotor diameter is and figure out the difference to your desired rotor this will equal the adapter size required. Eg fox 38 is PM180 meaning bolting caliper to the fork directly will work for a 180 rotor. If you want a 200 rotor you need a 20mm adapter, 220 would be 40.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
if you choose 203mm Magura rotor, the MT7's come with a washer that you put between the post mount and the caliper, job done. No need for an adapter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles