Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Get you started :

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Shimano, but I have used Sram and KMC. The longest life (6x vs my then choice of chains) was a top end Sram that came with the trail bike. I have a KMC spare chain right now waiting to go onto my ebike when the current transmission eventually fails. The chain is made up from two broken Shimano chains and runs better than a brand-new chain on the old cassette. Spare cassette already in the garage. I hope it runs well with the KMC chain, which I bought because at the time I thought that I needed one urgently and it was all I could get. Without checking, I can't recall exactly which KMC chain I bought, but it wouldn't have been a bottom of the range one.

I see chains as a commodity in that they seem to be interchangeable*. But each brand has its quality range and I have discovered that it never pays to go bottom fishing.

Note* Maybe the Shimano Linkglide has changed that happy circumstance?

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland
I have made a small comparison in between chains I use on my Rise. Sram X01 is most cost/durable efficient chain I know so far. Bellow 100links = 1270mm of the two chains after about 500km on ebike, Shimano vs Sram. Cleaned and lubed every ride. Which gives about 0.15% of the wear to Sram and about 0,25% wear to Shimano.

Regards
Peter

chain1.jpg new chain.jpg sram shiman side by side.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles