Chain length

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Does anyone know how many links are in an e160 RSX 2022 spec.

My gears are skipping and SRAM said check the chain length as I have fitted a new chain.

I measured against the original but didn’t count links.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you have the chain off the bike, just measure it in inches.
120 links will measure exactly 60" on a brand-new chain and slightly longer on a worn one.
A badly worn chain should measure about 1% longer, so 60.6".
It will not be a barely worn 121 links chain because you have to have an even number of links.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
once you have confirmed..or otherwise..your chain is the correct length, re check your chain gap/B Tension and repeat the indexing set up...... Did you clean the waxy finish off the new chain before fitting it??

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks all for the reply. Yes I have 120 links so that seems ok. I am going to look at the B gap and stops again.

I did have a damaged hanger ( a stick jammed between the cassette and derailleur )and replaced the outer cage as well but it is still skipping mid gears.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks all for the reply. Yes I have 120 links so that seems ok. I am going to look at the B gap and stops again.

I did have a damaged hanger ( a stick jammed between the cassette and derailleur )and replaced the outer cage as well but it is still skipping mid gears.
The AXS mech essentially gauges the correct indexing by being installed with the mech cage in its full outboard position......make sure both limit screws are slightly off their stops first. So you may need to re-Install it from scratch. Thereafter it is just a matter of checking the chain gap at SAG with the chain on the second largest cog. Any micro adjustment needed can also then be done on the same cog by pressing and holding the shifter button and pushing the upper lever once or twice.
Of course you may have a worn cassette if it is skipping in the middle of the cassette.

You need to differentiate between the gear concerned not being properly engaged.........ie an indexing issue...........and the gear being properly engaged but still slipping/skipping. The latter being evidence of the chain and cassette not meshing properly which is either a worn chain or worn cassette, and can happen initially when a brand new chain is fitted on a part worn cassette.
If after all your checks the skipping still occurs, try doing a road ride of a few miles keeping fairly light on the cranks. You may find it starts to improve as the chain "breaks in" a little. If not, it sounds like a new cassette is required.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks Mikerb that is good advice and I think I will start again as you suggest.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles