Levo Gen 3 Cascade Link 2022+ Levo Long Shock Kit

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Depending on where you are lots of good sales happening at local bike shops and through the manufactures. Saw some Ohlin's coils the other day here in Canada at 40% off at a bike shop.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Depending on where you are lots of good sales happening at local bike shops and through the manufactures. Saw some Ohlin's coils the other day here in Canada at 40% off at a bike shop.

The ohlins would be a great option but it seems to be quite expensive here still.

I think ill wait til the rc2t rockshox is back in stock, it seems to be due back in the next few weeks. Everyone I see in europe is saying preorder.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
The ohlins would be a great option but it seems to be quite expensive here still.

I think ill wait til the rc2t rockshox is back in stock, it seems to be due back in the next few weeks. Everyone I see in europe is saying preorder.
The RS SDU coil with the WPS piston is awesome. It’s probably the best “non-exotic” shock I’ve tried. I’d say it’s on par with my EXT Storia but without the hefty price tag

Jbone

Mar 7, 2024
Sydney, Australia
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread, its helped me enormously get my bike set up incredibly well. With all the frame clearance issues that are occuring with the Float X2 and vivid shock, but wanting to run air shock I went for the Fox float X on my Levo S5 and I couldn’t be happier.
It is a game changer, sooo much better than the stock x2 I had. The link and the float x are incredibly supple, so much traction going downhill and up, but what is amazing is I’m getting more pop and playfullness than I was getting on the stock X2 with shorter travel.
I’ve gone up to 170mm on the front fox 38, which complements the rear very well.
I haven’t measured any geo, but I’m getting less pedal strike, and the front end feels marginally slacker. The bikes handling has remained the playful and nimble joy that the turbo Levo offers, I couldn’t be happier.

For anyone wanting an X2 but concerned about clearance I highly recommend the float x with the cascade long shock link. It’s such a big improvement from stock over all areas.

For those interested I‘m 105kg (riding gear included) 189cm, Float x has 230 PSI and one volume spacer, compression open, rebound 4 clicks from open (fastest), fox 38 110PSI and one volume spacer. HSC open, LSC 4 clicks from open, HSR 2 clicks from open, LSR 4 clicks from open.

View attachment A44BBCD3-EA1F-4C33-A678-CD90EEB6A99F.jpeg
23027615-9A9F-49BA-8C9F-5FF5DB3DAB98.jpeg

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK

That looks great. Much nicer than the float X2 to be honest. Nice build!

I'm waiting on a Rockshox Deluxe Ultimate Coil before I fit my longshock kit soon. If I don't click with that I might consider same as you.

I weigh the same as you do so it's good to have feedback like yours.

Been a while since my levo looked as clean as yours mind :(

Jbone

Mar 7, 2024
Sydney, Australia
That looks great. Much nicer than the float X2 to be honest. Nice build!

I'm waiting on a Rockshox Deluxe Ultimate Coil before I fit my longshock kit soon. If I don't click with that I might consider same as you.

I weigh the same as you do so it's good to have feedback like yours.

Been a while since my levo looked as clean as yours mind :(
I think the link does most of the work, I’m sure your shock will feel great. My bike got an extra detail when the new shock went on, won’t be long before it’s covered in mud again!

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
For those looking for an advice regarding spring rate - don't take anything for granted and don't trust anyone ;)

Recommended spring rates are way off even on Cascade Components website!
According to their info, I should use use 550 lbs/in spring for my 85kg [187 lbs].

Based on the info in this thread I collected data for comparison:
-@ Lasse - 500 lbs/in spring @82 kg [180 lbs] with Marzocchi Bomber CR / fork: ZEB Ultimate 170 mm
- @maramouse - 525 lbs/in spring @82 kg [180 lbs] with Öhlins TTX22 M.2 / fork: Fox 38 170 mm
- @cañonaco - 475 lbs/in spring @85 kg [190 lbs] with Rock Shox Super Deluxe
-@ goodaa - ??? lbs/in spring @85 kg [190 lbs] with Öhlins TTX22 M.2 / fork: Fox 38 170 mm

I got confused by the big difference in spring rates used by different bikers (475-525 lbs/in) and that recommended by Cascade (550 lbs/in). So I contacted Cascade Components directly and even showed them the data I collected [above]. They confirmed the recommendation twice: "It should still be nice and supple, the 550 is the correct coil for your weight."

So based on their recommendation I ordered 548 lbs/in spring for my Öhlins TTX22m.2.
Guess what, I got the SAG 23% [15 mm]. The spring was extremely firm!
So I ordered another spring, this time 502 lbs/in and I got SAG 29% [19 mm].

I have no way to test the bike as it's snowing like crazy lately but I have a feeling that the Cascade linkage is more suited for air shocks and their progressive characteristics than for linear coil shocks. If my field tests will confirm this to be true, I will experiment with progressive spring, e.g. Cane Creek VALT.

Nevertheless, lesson learned [money lost]. Honestly, I am really disappointed in Cascade's recommendations, database/knowledge and their support. I understand that you cannot give 100% correct spring rate recommendation but I hoped for little more knowledge from the producer about their own product and base settings for the specific bike and specific rider. 23% SAG I got by using spring they recommended was not even close to expected 28-30% SAG (that they also recommend on their website).

There, learn from my mistakes and experimentation.
I will keep you updated after I get some time on the bike.

Below some photos of the shock, springs weight comparison and linkages:
Hello, same here. I thought that on Ohlins you needed a lighter spring because it has so many Low Speed compressions by default and instead... Weight 85kg and Cascade insisted on spring 550 on levo carbon 2023 with EXT E-Storia. Result, sag 15 mm. I just tried it with 500 spring and it's perfectly 19 mm as you said.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Was hyped to set mine up this weekend but it turns out the shock I bought advertised as a 230*65 turned up as a 230*57.5 :(.

Gutted.

If I hadn't already spent a fortune I'd consider doing the wps upgrade on it and getting them to change shock stroke at same time.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Was hyped to set mine up this weekend but it turns out the shock I bought advertised as a 230*65 turned up as a 230*57.5 :(.

Gutted.

If I hadn't already spent a fortune I'd consider doing the wps upgrade on it and getting them to change shock stroke at same time.
That WPS upgrade is well worth it IMO, I demo’ed a RS SDU coil with the WPS upgrade to compare it to the EXT Storia on my SB130. I would say it’s 90% as good as the EXT at a few hundred quid cheaper. My mate kept going on and on about how good his was and I didn’t believe him.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
That WPS upgrade is well worth it IMO, I demo’ed a RS SDU coil with the WPS upgrade to compare it to the EXT Storia on my SB130. I would say it’s 90% as good as the EXT at a few hundred quid cheaper. My mate kept going on and on about how good his was and I didn’t believe him.

This sounds great but annoyingly the shock is practically new and i think they only install the upgrade as part of a full service so I'd likely be looking at a few hundred quid?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
This sounds great but annoyingly the shock is practically new and i think they only install the upgrade as part of a full service so I'd likely be looking at a few hundred quid?
Yeah somewhere around £240-250 but that’s with a custom tune too. You can buy the WPS kit for around £120 depending on which shock you have, it’s fairly easy to install if you’ve ever pulled a shock apart.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
I've dismantled my rockshox air shocks in past but never the coil shock. I could probably buy a 20 quid hbo bolt to gain the travel but might be better off sending it back to the seller and sourcing a new shock.

Frustrating because I wanted to be on the long shock by now.

BikeBert

Dec 10, 2022
Croatia
My bike started making a crazy creaking noise that sounded almost like a cracked frame or loose headset. You can listen to it here: creaking shock/frame

The noise was only audible while compressing the rear suspension, so I removed the shock (Öhlins TTXm.2), disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled it. Now, everything is back to normal and the bike is quiet again.

20240329_170327.jpg

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Turns out the shock I bought had the stroke changed by the previous owner and it wasn't 57.5 as Id previously worried. It's a 230x65 as intended so I was able to fit the link and shock today.

It feels very plush but I've not had chance to ride it properly yet.

Should be giving it a proper test at Innerleithen next week so looking forward to that.

Next thing will be to up my fork travel to 170mm I think.

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Well I've given it a try at Glentress and I'm seriously impressed! The bike feels way more capable and supportive.

As expected running a coil on the back makes the front fork seem almost lacking in comparison. Going to get a shockwiz on it today and try and dial it in.

Absolutely recommend the linkage. Especially if you're 90+kg tall rider like me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles