Canyon torque on with 29er fork

Troeyler

May 20, 2019
oslo
I am buying a tourqe on 8. Making it mullet.
Fitting a 170mm domain on it and selling the 27,5 zeb 180 fork.

Asked canyon an they replied below(is this really an issue?)

I asked this from our technical department, and even though this may technically be possible we do not recommend this. Converting the bike to 29" and changing the fork will void the warranty as we have not tested the bike with such components.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am buying a tourqe on 8. Making it mullet.
Fitting a 170mm domain on it and selling the 27,5 zeb 180 fork.

Asked canyon an they replied below(is this really an issue?)

I asked this from our technical department, and even though this may technically be possible we do not recommend this. Converting the bike to 29" and changing the fork will void the warranty as we have not tested the bike with such components.
They are perfectly within their rights to deny any warranty claim for a bike modified beyond their spec. Your proposed changes will apply forces to the headset and frame that have not been tested by them so it is reasonable for them to deny any liability for subsequent failure of parts.

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Any company will say the same, as they are covering themselves.
Realistically though, the force changes will be non-existent.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Of course the forces on the headtube will be different if you change the angle of attack of those forces by fitting longer forks/going to 29er front. By how much would depend on the degree to which you change it. All of that is however not relevant as far as the OP is concerned. Canyon is not saying it will lead to damage, it is saying that if it did lead to damage there would be no warranty cover for that damage.

Brands do test their bikes for different configurations. Not exactly the same but for example when the Levo was sold with 150mm forks Specialized specified that 160mm could be fitted but not greater than that. Clearly the bike had been tested with 160mm back in 2019 and later in 2020 the Levo was indeed fitted with 160mm forks as standard.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Your proposed changes will apply forces to the headset and frame that have not been tested by them so it is reasonable for them to deny any liability for subsequent failure of parts.
Acceptable point, only we know the forces on a headtube would have to be immense for something to give in that department, so while they can claim it, I doubt they could prove it

Huw169

Nov 7, 2021
Hampshire
Of course the forces on the headtube will be different if you change the angle of attack of those forces by fitting longer forks/going to 29er front. By how much would depend on the degree to which you change it. All of that is however not relevant as far as the OP is concerned. Canyon is not saying it will lead to damage, it is saying that if it did lead to damage there would be no warranty cover for that damage.

Brands do test their bikes for different configurations. Not exactly the same but for example when the Levo was sold with 150mm forks Specialized specified that 160mm could be fitted but not greater than that. Clearly the bike had been tested with 160mm back in 2019 and later in 2020 the Levo was indeed fitted with 160mm forks as standard.
Different, but by sod all. Which equates to nothing in the context of what the head tube is designed to do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles