Canyon Spectral:ON 2020 - Still waiting!!!!?

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Been out for a full battery flattening ride today (35miles) and can honestly say I’ve never smiled as much in my life!!!!
Rides like a dream. Very quiet, no rattles and handles far better than I was expecting for an E bike. I’m a very happy customer! ?
View attachment 35033

They do look very smart.

how many miles roughly have you got in now? just trying to gauge whether yours isn't affected by those bushings others have had issues with or if it just hasn't developed yet.

Jonny330ci

Dec 5, 2019
Wakefield
They do look very smart.

how many miles roughly have you got in now? just trying to gauge whether yours isn't affected by those bushings others have had issues with or if it just hasn't developed yet.
Only done about 50 miles but no issues. However, my brother got the same bike and has had the issue straight out of the box. It appears it could be a manufacturing tolerance issue and he is in contact with Canyon to try and resolve. From the video posted earlier they look to have tried to fix the issue with the bushings by replacing them with a roller bearing?? Only time will tell for both of us!!

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
I haven't found any grip to come close to the comfort of the GE1s, except the other Ergon's but the flange is just annoying.

I got an email a week before it was due saying my medium was delayed a further week, then two days later an email saying it had been shipped! That reminded me of a question I hadn't asked - the previews in March said it came with the slow 2A charger, is this the case? If so, I will order a 4A one now...

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
I haven't found any grip to come close to the comfort of the GE1s, except the other Ergon's but the flange is just annoying.

I got an email a week before it was due saying my medium was delayed a further week, then two days later an email saying it had been shipped! That reminded me of a question I hadn't asked - the previews in March said it came with the slow 2A charger, is this the case? If so, I will order a 4A one now...
I believe the spec on the website says it comes with a 2A. Obviously the reviews said it was going to, to keep the price of the package down.

If you find a good price post a link ?

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Does anyone know or speculate if Canyon will stay with the e8000 through the end of this year? It seems kinda crazy to buy any bike with the 500wh and e8000 now given Bosch is kicking some but and giving the bigger battery! thoughts??

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Does anyone know or speculate if Canyon will stay with the e8000 through the end of this year? It seems kinda crazy to buy any bike with the 500wh and e8000 now given Bosch is kicking some but and giving the bigger battery! thoughts??
I think it's unlikely that even if canyon was to announce a new bike that you would receive it before the middle of next year.

Ie if you want a bike to before next summer, get the current model.

Last edited:

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Good point, but it will kill the sales vs. Commencal and the others that will release the E9000 (whatever they call it), and the 625 wh battery. At 5k USD $ I would rather purchase another brand. The battery life does matter, and I believe the new Shimano motor will be much improved. Time will tell.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
I like everything about the Spectral:On, except for the 500wh battery. I'm fine with the E8000 motor and the rest of the specs and the price is hard to beat... but I think they need a 625wh battery option to be competitive.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Yeah, I think I could live with the 8000 motor but the smaller battery is just too outdated.. Love the price of 5k however. I would also say, it will be interesting to see what the new Decoy in Mullet and 29er will be, and what the heck, add in the new motor too. lol

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Good point, but it will kill the sales vs. Commencal and the others that will release the E9000 (whatever they call it), and the 625 wh battery. At 5k USD $ I would rather purchase another brand. The battery life does matter, and I believe the new Shimano motor will be much improved. Time will tell.
You're assuming they are going to release before canyon and then get it yo market quicker, which I doubt they will.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Yeah, I think I could live with the 8000 motor but the smaller battery is just too outdated.. Love the price of 5k however. I would also say, it will be interesting to see what the new Decoy in Mullet and 29er will be, and what the heck, add in the new motor too. lol
If you think you can buy the bike when it's announced wait, but I doubt that very much, it will still be the middle of next year, not only that we leave the eu at the end of the year and you could find yourself slamming import tax on the top of your price.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
If you think you can buy the bike when it's announced wait, but I doubt that very much, it will still be the middle of next year, not only that we leave the eu at the end of the year and you could find yourself slamming import tax on the top of your price.

If Canyon does not release an updated bike for sale until mid next year, say June, then they will effectively be conceding a huge advantage to Specialized (700 wh) and Bosche equipped bikes (625 wh) both with clear advantages or torque and battery. June is a full 10 months away, so wow. How many consumers are willing to spend top dollar on a motor created in 2016? I'm not sure, but if the 625 wh Shimano battery were a part of the package much earlier, then the discounted Canyon would be a stronger proposition. If Commnecal gets this ready for sale and ships in the next 3 months then they will reap the rewards.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
If Canyon does not release an updated bike for sale until mid next year, say June, then they will effectively be conceding a huge advantage to Specialized (700 wh) and Bosche equipped bikes (625 wh) both with clear advantages or torque and battery. June is a full 10 months away, so wow. How many consumers are willing to spend top dollar on a motor created in 2016? I'm not sure, but if the 625 wh Shimano battery were a part of the package much earlier, then the discounted Canyon would be a stronger proposition. If Commnecal gets this ready for sale and ships in the next 3 months then they will reap the rewards.
you are still assuming after it unveiled, you will be able to click buy and have it turn up, I seriously doubt that will be the case for any manufactures apart from YT who i believe use their own 600wh battery anyway so aren't waiting for the new components release.

At the end of the day its your call, whats right for you wont be right for others. but you should have realistic expectations.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
All very very good points, and this "next greatest" thing will all drive us crazy. In reality, I would really like to consider the Canyon Spectral On, and it's tough. Going to check out the 2021 Levo that's in stock today here in the SF Bay Area, 700 wh battery, 90nm torque, in the Comp Model $6250.00, and checking out the 2021 Rail that will be available in 30 days. Funny thing here in the US, they have noted bikes will not be availble to order nor ship until the end of August. Commencal says their new bikes will begin to ship in September and they will have the new stuff to boot! I believe this is what they will have. It will be an interesting year.

IMG_3426.jpg

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
Canyon just delayed the Spectral:On 7.0 another month for the US market. :confused:

Shades of Stealth was pushed back to September 21-25th for the US market. Shades of Purple still shows August 24-28th.

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
Anyone have any luck getting a second battery cover? I got my new Spectral:On a while back and Canyon were very happy to sell me a second battery. However, they refused to sell me a battery cover for it as it is a 'critical build component'. Suffice to say, every time I spend 5 minutes on the trail transferring the battery cover to the new battery, it is spent hurling expletives at Canyon under my breath.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Anyone have any luck getting a second battery cover? I got my new Spectral:On a while back and Canyon were very happy to sell me a second battery. However, they refused to sell me a battery cover for it as it is a 'critical build component'. Suffice to say, every time I spend 5 minutes on the trail transferring the battery cover to the new battery, it is spent hurling expletives at Canyon under my breath.
Sounds like Canyon have made a Faux Pas and not made it available to order separate and only comes with a complete frame . I can see how that happened as i never thought of that until you just said. that would be very annoying to say the least.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles