Cannondale Habit & Moterra Ai Offset ***Update***

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
So I wanted to change to a 36T and decided to go Hope E Chainring. Trouble is, the Cannondale uses its own Ai offset.
First, the chainring lock ring tool. I purchased this from Amazon. Did a great job, but needs a 32mm socket.

When I had removed the FSA spider (and ring) I placed it on a flat surface, against the Hope ring, to see the difference.
950AB3D9-6BE4-47F8-8040-7B63E5F41D2D.jpeg

As can be seen the original stands a couple of mm higher.

To try to maintain this height, using the new Hope ring, I decided to use a carbon 1.25 inch aheadset spacer. However, the internal diameter had to be opened up slightly to allow it to fit over the motor’s drive spline. This was easily done using a Dremmel type grinding tool. (Plus a mask!)
This was placed over the splined drive before the new ring was fitted.
3C1E9162-F412-4A43-BDA7-AD81805648F8.jpeg

11E0C111-8DC1-4F52-AD9A-616A01E8D7BB.jpeg

The aheadset spacer is highlighted behind the new chainring being placed.
The rubber o ring that came off with the old chainring was placed, then the lock ring was carefully threaded and tightened ANTI-CLOCKWISE.
New chain was fitted, gears checked for alignment along with new chainring and that was it.
Hope fitted to roughly the same custom Ai alignment. 👍🏻
5B95DDC6-2053-4895-B3DC-AE7479A6F510.jpeg

F6DD8A13-3ECD-46D9-9796-F67E4B214969.jpeg

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
****UPDATE****
This modification failed today! The lock ring had come undone.
I am currently looking up the forum thread on this very issue.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
So, on gathering as much information as possible, I have decided to reduce the carbon spacer size from 2mm to 1mm.
Obviously using any spacer reduced the amount of thread the lock ring would have to tighten. I thought that the modification I performed would be ok, but I was proved wrong.
The plan is to halve the width of the spacer to give an extra 1mm thread. Also I am not going to use the O-ring so that potentially could give me a little more. I am still unsure as to the role of the rubber ring??
I am also going to clean all threads around the lock ring and apply blue locktite.
I am hoping this will solve the problem of coming loose.
Pictures to follow.
I purchase a new lock ring kit from these people:

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
Pics as promised;
0F9C53EC-CFF0-46A0-9D16-31EC99CB09A4.jpeg

New lock ring with tool. The existing ring loosened during a ride. I tried to tighten but failed and crossed threads.

F89AE619-EC28-4931-A2B5-D3A0C376BC09.jpeg

Spacer placed on with assembly grease behind.

312EFA35-ABAA-451E-B167-888B24CA9A39.jpeg

Hope E chainring fitted with more assembly grease behind. The exposed threads were cleaned with disc brake cleaner before loctite blue thread lock was applied to both the drive threads and lock ring threads.

48EDC434-0AEA-468A-A003-136EDFE023E0.jpeg

Tightened to 30Nm

F7A66B8E-4C30-45E4-B6C0-27DDDA82BE29.jpeg

Clearance still ok 👍🏻

33C68981-2184-4285-8012-654C1382D6D7.jpeg

Crank placed back on and torqued.
Let’s see how long this lasts 🤞🏻

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
****UPDATE****
This modification failed today! The lock ring had come undone.
I am currently looking up the forum thread on this very issue.
The locking ring came loose on my Habit as well …while still with the original FSA spider. I tried to put it back without the Bosch tool but it didn’t stay Long in place… I am planning to visit the retailer to fix it.

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
So I wanted to change to a 36T and decided to go Hope E Chainring. Trouble is, the Cannondale uses its own Ai offset.
First, the chainring lock ring tool. I purchased this from Amazon. Did a great job, but needs a 32mm socket.

When I had removed the FSA spider (and ring) I placed it on a flat surface, against the Hope ring, to see the difference.
View attachment 80040

Cannondale does not document properly it’s custom offset indeed: they just document its “customity“ without any instruction on how to find a replacement part. Even retailers do not seem to know.

Hence it may be easier to avoid a direct mount rather by keeping the original FSA spider (and its custom offset!). Then replacing only the “104mm BSD 34T narrow-wide” part equipped with four screws.

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
Cannondale does not document properly it’s custom offset indeed: they just document its “customity“ without any instruction on how to find a replacement part. Even retailers do not seem to know.

Hence it may be easier to avoid a direct mount rather by keeping the original FSA spider (and its custom offset!). Then replacing only the “104mm BSD 34T narrow-wide” part equipped with four screws.

…I just noticed you wanted a 36T rather than 34T but I guess keeping the spider is still possible. Moreover, easier as there is no need to unmount the locker ring and the pedal.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
The locking ring came loose on my Habit as well …while still with the original FSA spider. I tried to put it back without the Bosch tool but it didn’t stay Long in place… I am planning to visit the retailer to fix it.
Blue thread lock works a treat. 👍🏻
Hasn’t undone since I’ve used it.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK

Judging by the difference in height of both original chainring and spider and the new Hope E-chainring, I would say the offset is 3mm, the same as found in the wheel (drive side).
690AE2D7-838D-4A1A-B9DA-EADE8346DAE8.jpeg

Flupke

Apr 16, 2022
Brussels, Belgium
That hope chainring sucks. Pitched mine. Super noisy under heavy load. Even tried new chain. Very disappointed
Sorry to ask but I was myself confronted with a newbie issue: are you sure you have properly inserted the wide chain links (external) on the wide teeth, and the narrow chain links (internal) on the narrow teeth.

With new chain and transmission, it should not be possible but with a used chain it happens. At least it happened to me. And it was working but very noisy.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
So, after the 2nd incident of the lockring coming loose I decided to ditch the spacer used in the original post. I came to the conclusion that the lockring must be coming loose because all of threads on it were not engaging the all the threads on the splined crank shaft.
I am now using the Hope chainring directly attached. No Ai offset.
Now, considering the derailleur has been set up with the front chainring with the offset, without the spacer (and offset) it still runs perfectly without adjustment.
The Hope 36T chainring just clears the chainstay (see pic)
I have tightened a new lockring with the recommended torque, now with the O-ring, but using the stronger red threadlock
chainring.jpg

ctk371

Oct 10, 2022
Germany
So it is possible to attach a 36T to the Moterra. And I just put the chainring on and nothing else?

What’s the diameter of the ring?

I guess putting on the 104 chainring won’t work cause of the offset?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles