Can You Detune a Pedego Motor?

rpr

Sep 22, 2022
Northern GA
I know, why would you want to reduce the power on an ebike that’s already not thought of very highly in most enthusiast ebike circles. Well, they’re readily available at a decent price in my area, the frame of the fat tire step through Element model fits my petite wife well, and she has physical limitations so the Class 2 throttle assist is a good feature as are the 4” fat tires. But, the power delivery is crude.

Even in the lowest power assist setting of 1, when you start peddling you feel like you just floored it. I like power, but the power delivery curve on this bike is just terrible (20” wheels with 4” tires). Most owners of this model seem to like the extreme and abrupt power delivery from a standstill, and they’ll proudly describe it as “torqy”, but it’s tough to control for a small rider with limited capability. More like riding a dirt bike.

So, I’m wondering if this motor can be detuned to reduce the power assist, so it kicks in more gradually. Are there any options out there that could do that?

I don’t know who makes the motor. I’m assuming Pedego themselves. This is all the info they publish on it on their website.

MOTOR
BLACK 48V BRUSHLESS GEARED REAR HUB MOTOR; 500 WATT NOMINAL POWER RATING; 45NM TORQUE; QUICK DISCONNECT CABLE W/ WATERPROOF CONNECTION

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Common problem. Get a new programmable controller. Try Endless Sphere where all the DIY guru's hang out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles