Can I set up my Orbea wild FS with 27.5" rear?

Luisprida21

Jun 12, 2020
Dominican Republic
Hello,

Recently tried out a new bike with a mullet configuration and absolutely loved it. Is it possible to change my rear tire on my orbea wild FS to set it up as a mullet?

Thanks everyone.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
There's nothing to stop you.

Maybe the bottom bracket might end up too low, but give it a go and report back

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
If you mean setup by keeping the same geometry you can try a offset bushing on the shock to the frame end, it’s cheap and easy just buy the biggest offset of all them.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Most Emtb BB heights are fairly high (including yours) so lowering them is only an issue if you're not used to riding genuinely low BB mtbs.
The resulting slacker angles shouldn't be a huge problem either. Simply sliding your saddle forwards 10mm will regain the original seated position for climbing etc. And you can then reap the benefits of a lower and slacker bike with a stronger, lighter and marginally more maneuverable rear wheel on the downs.
Don't think it's all roses though. That smaller rear wheel won't hold as much momentum or be as smooth over rough ground. It should accelerate ever so slightly better though.

If you already have a fully set up 27.5 rear wheel and tyre you've nothing to lose by trying it

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Most Emtb BB heights are fairly high (including yours) so lowering them is only an issue if you're not used to riding genuinely low BB mtbs.
The resulting slacker angles shouldn't be a huge problem either. Simply sliding your saddle forwards 10mm will regain the original seated position for climbing etc. And you can then reap the benefits of a lower and slacker bike with a stronger, lighter and marginally more maneuverable rear wheel on the downs.
Don't think it's all roses though. That smaller rear wheel won't hold as much momentum or be as smooth over rough ground. It should accelerate ever so slightly better though.

If you already have a fully set up 27.5 rear wheel and tyre you've nothing to lose by trying it

Hey GaRy, doesn’t affect the suspension leverage when you slack a bike?

What do you think is more nimble, a 450 chainstays 27.5 rear bike or a 440 29rear bike? (with more or less same wheelbase numbers weight etc)

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Hi
They say been there and done it so too speak i did , 8mm BB drop it gives and is nothing to worry about as already said,
Give it ago you have nothing to lose if you have a 27.5 wheel sitting around with a 2.6" tyre as the chainstays wont allow much more without compromised clearance.
I have mixed reviews on a mullet set up personally but im also one of those who even after many runs out cant stand 29" wheels
There just to floppy and lazy for my tastes (best description i could come up with at short notice)
My Orbea wild FS is on 27.5" allround now with a 180mm fork up front
The bike feels fantastic for me , again this is only my personal feelings we are all different .

To me there a Two poralized kind of trails: the mellow and twisty single tracks and the straight plow wide Rocky ones. 27.5 for the first 29er for the second. Mullet if you want all on paper ... best of both worlds or jack of all tools master of none?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey GaRy, doesn’t affect the suspension leverage when you slack a bike?
no. not at all
But it does affect weight bais.
so you will need to adjust spring rate to suit. (up your shock pressure slightly)

What do you think is more nimble, a 450 chainstays 27.5 rear bike or a 440 29rear bike? (with more or less same wheelbase numbers weight etc)
Depends how you ride.
How tall you are.
And what you mean by nimbleness.

450mm chainstays aren't overly long enough to make it hard to get the front wheel up to manual whatever the wheelsize if that's what you're thinking about.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's the front wheel that does most of your turning. And personally. I prefer how a, 26" front wheel turns to either a 27.5 or a 29"
You'll have your own preference.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
It's the front wheel that does most of your turning. And personally. I prefer how a, 26" front wheel turns to either a 27.5 or a 29"
You'll have your own preference.

My Altitude is 27.5 and 426 chainstays... let me tell you no matter how slack or what wheel you run at the front the rear is a cutted lizard tail ... you got me now? Just bet c’mon what do you think is a more lively rear a 27.5 450 or a 29 440? Is a good question isn’t?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dude. I have lots of bikes. With varying geometry. The shortest chainstays l have on an mtb are sub 400mm. That one measurement alone does not define its handling.
And no. Its a fairly shit question. That I've already answered.

Last edited:

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
Waaay late to the party, but my Wild is setup mullet and it feels great. Would not mind a little more pedal clearance, so may go shorter cranks. And yes, I know... I could ride better too :)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Waaay late to the party, but my Wild is setup mullet and it feels great. Would not mind a little more pedal clearance, so may go shorter cranks. And yes, I know... I could ride better too :)
Did you make any other changes to the geometry,or simply just fit a smaller wheel?

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
Did you make any other changes to the geometry,or simply just fit a smaller wheel?
I actually bought it used and it came with a 27.5 EThirteen Carbon rim on the back. I also have the 29er, but have not swapped yet. I have not made any other GEO changes. Due to winter and timing, i Have only gotten a few rides on it, but so far I'm in love. I had mullet'ed my Bulls Ebike and really liked the feel (it was 27.5+ before) but it messed up the geo. Geo doesn't feel messed up on the Wild, since Its all I know on this bike, it feels the way it should.. awesome, quick, confident.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I actually bought it used and it came with a 27.5 EThirteen Carbon rim on the back. I also have the 29er, but have not swapped yet. I have not made any other GEO changes. Due to winter and timing, i Have only gotten a few rides on it, but so far I'm in love. I had mullet'ed my Bulls Ebike and really liked the feel (it was 27.5+ before) but it messed up the geo. Geo doesn't feel messed up on the Wild, since Its all I know on this bike, it feels the way it should.. awesome, quick, confident.
Has the motor software been modified so it knows the correct circumference of the 27.5 wheel? Or is it still set as if it were a 29er?

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when you put the 29 inch wheel back on.

I always buzz my arse on the back wheel on steep stuff and recon it might be better with a 27m5 inch wheel

ionut.holbia

Dec 31, 2020
Lausanne
Has the motor software been modified so it knows the correct circumference of the 27.5 wheel? Or is it still set as if it were a 29er?

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it when you put the 29 inch wheel back on.

I always buzz my arse on the back wheel on steep stuff and recon it might be better with a 27m5 inch wheel

My cheep Shimano rear hub got broken (have an Orbea Wild FS H30). Was thinking to buy a 27.5 Dt Swiss rear wheel to replace it. Any updates on this topic? Do I need to update the motor software? I saw that if you have the kiosk display there is a rear wheel size option. Unfortunately I have the Purion display :)

yolo_MTB

Oct 13, 2020
California/USA
My cheep Shimano rear hub got broken (have an Orbea Wild FS H30). Was thinking to buy a 27.5 Dt Swiss rear wheel to replace it. Any updates on this topic? Do I need to update the motor software? I saw that if you have the kiosk display there is a rear wheel size option. Unfortunately I have the Purion display :)
I think the bike rides great. I have never felt the need to go back to full 29.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Also toying with the idea of mullet, I see cascade make an eyelet for the fox dhx that offsets it for a mullet setup. But I am not sure I want to go coil tbh.
The shock bush on a wild cant be offset as the bolts are the full size of the standard du bushing
Have you got a link to what your looking at (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles