Can batteries improve with a rest?

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
I know the answer to this question (no), but the weirdest thing seems to be happening to my ebike.

I rode today for the first time after 8 weeks in lockdown and recorded a crazy distance & height gain - 49.49km / 2,297m, this far exceeds my previous records. I finished just as it turned red, so it had more in the tank too.
49.4 km Mountain Bike Ride on May 18, 2020 by Tom E. on Strava

It’s a 2018 Canyon Spectral Steps e8000, new tires, DHF 2.5 on front and DHR 2.8 on the back. It’s on the original battery.

I’m the same weight, I doubt any fitter, so it really makes no sense. My only thought is that the temperature might have been optimum today.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
You probably pushed a lot harder than realised - just from the sheer joy of getting out again.

I bet you'll notice that tomorrow :LOL:

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
Something looks off. If you do the potential energy calculation you need 626.54 Wh(2255530 joules) to lift 100kg to 2300 meters. With all the friction losses you wouldn't be able to do that with a normal 600Wh battery. You probably pedaled the vast majority of the way yourself.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Something looks off. If you do the potential energy calculation you need 626.54 Wh(2255530 joules) to lift 100kg to 2300 meters. With all the friction losses you wouldn't be able to do that with a normal 600Wh battery. You probably pedaled the vast majority of the way yourself.

That's assuming the bike is a motorbike. From the looks of his Strava analysis, @EbikeTom is one seriously fit bloke who never got out of ECO mode the whole way round.

I'll still lay odds on him being as stiff as a board tomorrow morning :ROFLMAO:

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France

I’m a fair bit lighter, 66kg, so I guess that would influence quite a bit. I rode the lot in eco, but I was definitely getting assistance.

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
That's assuming the bike is a motorbike. From the looks of his Strava analysis, @EbikeTom is one seriously fit bloke who never got out of ECO mode the whole way round.

I'll still lay odds on him being as stiff as a board tomorrow morning :ROFLMAO:

I’m starting to feel the pain now!

It was in Eco the whole way, but wouldn‘t say I’m super fit. All the trails were completely dry, which I think helps, I’m also wondering whether the DHR tire is a bit quicker than the Spec. Butcher I had on last year.

Apr 18, 2020
germany
I’m a fair bit lighter, 66kg, so I guess that would influence quite a bit. I rode the lot in eco, but I was definitely getting assistance.

I'm two kg lighter and managed to do 2250 with mostly Eco mid. One bar was left so I think 2500m could be possible (and I know some people did). If you are a light rider and only ride Eco 2000m is no problem but it also depends on the surface and uphills you ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles