Can anyone tell me based on the photos if I need to change my brake pads?

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I have a Trek Powerfly FS 7 2019, with 1300 km on it.

Since day 1, I get a high pitched squeal when using my front brake.
Brake power seems normal; I can easily brake using 1 finger.

I accepted the squeal up until now - I thought if the performance of the brake is normal, I'll just live with it.
I thought the squeal would just supplement my bell :)

I did try repetitive heavy braking on descending - this fix is only temporsry (squeal recurs within 10 km of riding).
I also cleaned my rotors with rubbing alcohol - again, squeal recurs within 10 km of riding.

Now I'm reading the squeal can be related to wearing of the brake pads.
Can anyone tell based on the photos below whether I should replace my brake pads?

Also, does anyone know which brake pads come stock on the Trek Powerfly FS 7 2019? (I think I would like to use the same ones if I have to replace them).

Thanks!!

Front brake pads1.jpg

Front brake pads2.jpg

Front brake pads3.jpg

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
The pads have loads of life left, you may want to switch to organic pads to fix your squeal though and keep the old pads for spares (y)

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
The pads are far from worn out.

Show a picture of the rotors, front and rear. I'd like to see the amount of deposit and coloration on the brake track, as I suspect glazing and/or improper bedding-in process.

Replacing the pads and rotor is a quick and inexpensive way to fix squealing, but if the user goes a little too hard with bedding in, it will just happen again.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Pads seems to be fine.

I would:
- remove pads + calipers.
- sandpaper the pads, so all contamination is gone.
- sandpaper the discs, so all contamination is done.
- clean the calipers with a toothbrush and some cleaner.
- make sure the pistons moves freely....all of them.
- mount the calipers and make sure they are aligned good.
- bed-in the cleaned pads/discs.

Rikster

Jul 3, 2020
There where my bike takes me
Pads seems to be fine.

I would:

same here - sandpaper most of the time does the job for me and then a proper alignemend.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
From photos they seems hardly used. Next time when in doubt pult the pads out and measure them (with vernier caliper), if thickness is under 3mm then it is time to replace them.

Last edited:

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
Pads seems to be fine.

I would:

I also use a torch, so as to burn any oil that might have contaminated them.

Sandpaper use is necessary if the surface of the pads is "glassy".

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Not even close to needing replacement. Here's my usual solution to squealing:

1) remove and soak pads and rotors in isopropyl alcohol (a dinner plate works well) for 10-15 minutes
2) using multiple CLEAN pieces of paper tower, clean the rotor, both sides (two pieces of towel), then set on another clean piece to dry
3) DO NOT RE-USE THE PAPER TOWEL, EVER. WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY TO REMOVE OIL/FLUID FROM THEM.
4) clean all surfaces of the pads (including the metal backing plate) with clean paper towel(s)
5) lightly sand the surface of the pads with 220 or 320 grit sandpaper
6) place the pads back into an alcohol soak
7) wet a piece of towel or clean rag with alcohol and clean out the inside of the caliper(s) thoroughly
8) remove the pads and again clean them with CLEAN towels, then let them dry
9) one more light sanding with 220/320 grit sandpaper
10) reinstall and go ride

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to chime in!!!
Super helpful, reassuring, and I did learn something!!!

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Looks like the spring that pushes the pads back is rubbing on the rotor. The pads themselves look good. Maybe just try replacing the spring which appears to be bent.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Looks like the spring that pushes the pads back is rubbing on the rotor. The pads themselves look good. Maybe just try replacing the spring which appears to be bent.
That was my thought too. The spring seems to have a curve to it......close if not touching the rotor where the retention bolt goes through.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
I have a Trek Powerfly FS 7 2019, with 1300 km on it.

Since day 1, I get a high pitched squeal when using my front brake.
Brake power seems normal; I can easily brake using 1 finger.

I accepted the squeal up until now - I thought if the performance of the brake is normal, I'll just live with it.
I thought the squeal would just supplement my bell :)

I did try repetitive heavy braking on descending - this fix is only temporsry (squeal recurs within 10 km of riding).
I also cleaned my rotors with rubbing alcohol - again, squeal recurs within 10 km of riding.

Now I'm reading the squeal can be related to wearing of the brake pads.
Can anyone tell based on the photos below whether I should replace my brake pads?

Also, does anyone know which brake pads come stock on the Trek Powerfly FS 7 2019? (I think I would like to use the same ones if I have to replace them).

Thanks!!

View attachment 36355

View attachment 36356

View attachment 36357
If they have been contaminated, which can easily happen, could be from on roads, accidental spray from WD40 or any other oil product on pads or rotor the brakes will squeal and lose power. The brake pads could have become glazed and still not bedded in properly which can take some time, sintered pads will also squeal more than any other type especially when wet. Best to check for contamination, alignment and wear..if unsure replace. On pics pads looks to have loads of meat left.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France

That's what made me think the calliper wasn't centred, probably just needs nudging over?

Rotwilder

Apr 19, 2019
West Yorkshire
Contaminated with oil/whatever. I took the pads out and washed them in fairy liquid and thoroughly cleaned the brake discs and bought some brake cleaner spray which has stopped all the awful racket I had! AVOID overspraying bike maintenance/cleaner

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Hang on, 1300kms, and your pads still look like that! Don't you have any hills?

Well, before I started this thread, I would have said I have lots of hills; but based on the comments, I suppose 188 meters elevation (according to the Relive app) is just a small bump for you guys :)

Now I can see that I do indeed have lots of pad material left; before I didn't know how to interpret/look at the photos I posted.

But I think I have finally fixed the squealing.

I saw some oily substance on the hydraulic housing just above the caliper. I cleaned everything up (housing, caliper, rotor) with isopropyl alcohol (didn't have to remove the pads), and since no more squealing!
Hope I don't have a leak, but all remains dry with a further 44km on the bike.

Because I had the squealing from day 1 - maybe the bike shop accidentally got some oil in the caliper and the housing when setting up the bike?

Last edited:

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
On a side note I recommend using 90% isopropyl alcohol or even better acetone (use gloves) with a natural fiber towel before your first ride as you never know what your rotor has been exposed to.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Well, before I started this thread, I would have said I have lots of hills; but based on the comments, I suppose 188 meters elevation (according to the Relive app) is just a small bump for you guys :)

Now I can see that I do indeed have lots of pad material left; before I didn't know how to interpret/look at the photos I posted.

But I think I have finally fixed the squealing.

I saw some oily substance on the hydraulic housing just above the caliper. I cleaned everything up (housing, caliper, rotor) with isopropyl alcohol (didn't have to remove the pads), and since no more squealing!
Hope I don't have a leak, but all remains dry with a further 44km on the bike.

Because I had the squealing from day 1 - maybe the bike shop accidentally got some oil in the caliper and the housing when setting up the bike?
Good result and well done. I'd still replace the spring as it looks bent; it should look symmetrical. If you don't have a spare, ask at your bike shop as they will probably have a spare they could give you.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Good result and well done. I'd still replace the spring as it looks bent; it should look symmetrical. If you don't have a spare, ask at your bike shop as they will probably have a spare they could give you.

Hi! Could you tell me which side of the spring in the above photos (1st post, looking at the screen) do you think is bent?
And is it bent in the middle (at the hinge), top half, bottom half?

Below are photos of my rear brake pads. To my eye, the spring looks the same as the spring in my front pads. Do you still think the spring in my front pads is bent?

Thanks for your help! (and everyone else as well).

20200721_165318.jpg

20200721_165320.jpg

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Left hand side. On second viewing it looks more off centre rather than bent but to the extent that it appears to be rubbing on the disc rotor. Try loosening both caliper bolts to the point where the caliper can move freely, pull on the brake lever hard and nip the disc caliper bolts up tight while still holding on to the brake lever. This will help centre the caliper with the disc.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hi! Could you tell me which side of the spring in the above photos (1st post, looking at the screen) do you think is bent?
And is it bent in the middle (at the hinge), top half, bottom half?

Below are photos of my rear brake pads. To my eye, the spring looks the same as the spring in my front pads. Do you still think the spring in my front pads is bent?

Thanks for your help! (and everyone else as well).

View attachment 36612

View attachment 36613
The springs may be bent, but if you've never taken the pads out before, I don't see how they would get bent, unless very careless assembly by your bike shop. To me it just looks like the springs are just not centred properly, in both pics they are canted far over to the right, hard up against the right hand pad but not even touching the left. Also not centered on the split pin, so on the left the spring does look like it could be rubbing on the rotor. I would just give the spring a wiggle and see if you can centre it. If it is bent it will be obvious, in that case replacement is best as others have said, but you can bend them back into shape by hand as well if they're not too bad out of shape

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles