• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Cadence Sensors

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
What are peoples recommendations for cadence sensors on an eMTB?
I use Strava to record rides and want to add a cadence sensor.
Is mounting any different on an eMTB? Will the sensors cause any issues with the sensors already on the bike?

Cheers

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
No idea about the effects ,on other sensors on an ebike , I know even lights on the handlebars can effect the signal from wiresless computers on my other bikes . I guess just try one and see what happens.
my giant road bike has a cadence sensor and Iam surprised at how much I use it . Probably wouldn’t use one as much off-road but I think it’s a great thing to get your cadence sorted for less tiring rides . My shimano ebike has a cadence function on the computer but not really used it yet .

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
totally.. this last 7 days of eMTB ownership have been the most I've ever thought about cadence before and seeing the difference it makes to battery life really makes me want to investigate further.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Had been wondering about cadence and battery life , I would hope that the 80 rpm that considered the average for cadence is where the motor was designed to be most efficient . What I did notice myself and others doing is getting lazy with gear changes , because the motor is assisting and Iam not so knackered I find myself standing and pushing too high a gear while leaving the seat down . Something I had always noticed with many ebikers was slow cadence , I presumed it was Because they were just lazy and had never got used to a proper bike , but I think the extra power can induce that if your not thinking about it Especially given the choice of changing to to boost instead of cgznging to a lower gear .
I was put off the Yamaha motors because I read they don’t perform so well above 70 rpm ?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Ok I’m new to all forms of cycling.

Why does cadence matter at all?

And surely an electric bike knows damn well what your cadence is without a sensor?

Our legs and bodies have a rate of rotation or cadence that is most efficient , bit like a car needs to be in the right gear . Pull too high a gear and spin a low cadence and your wearing out muscles and straining joints etc , spin too fast and you waste energy moving limbs faster than they naturally want yo go Likewise there’s an optimum cadence at which the motor is most efficient . Ideal speed is generally 80 - 90 rpm unless your Froome or wiggins

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Bosch has a gear shift indicator. If I need to change up I’m pedalling too fast and if I need to change down I’m pedalling too slow... :D

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I used to time my cadence on the road . Set your stopwatch to time one minute and just count every time your right or left leg does a turn , it’s very easy on a long flat road or track ,

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
The COBI is great until you have a spectacular unscheduled dismount and trash your smartphone...

Bike's worth more than the phone! Nah I'm not worried, they're always insured anyway and they get to go in a big strong case. I'd happily pay serious money for a better computer, that was in my phone and had all the features they seem to list in the cobi !

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You can't use a phone case with the COBI as far as I know and it mounts in the centre of the bars over the headset so is pretty exposed. Ask me how I know...

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
This is a dedicated case right?
mounting-charging-control-mounting-options-large-2x.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Crashproof too?

I had a big crash a few weeks ago that smashed the crap out of my Intuvia display. Fortunately it's plastic not glass but it's now held together with gaffer tape.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Nope, it's an iphoneX and entirely made of glass, but, life's for living, I don't worry about it too much. It's in a Quadlock case and perches merrily on the front of the bike ready to be smashed to smithereens should I crash in some specific way.

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Anyone here use the Nyon? Whats the real life experience :)
Very pleased with it.
All the informations I need. When I'm back home it connects by itself to upload the new data to the Bosch server. The tracks with data are available on the website and also on the app. Works well with my Rhythm+ heart rate monitor.
The map/navigation is very useful for unknown locations.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles