Bunny hops and (small) jumps on lightweight EMTBs vs Analogue

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I currently own a Stumpjumper Carbon that weighs 29lbs in XL size (lots of upgrades to get there).
I am thinking to purchase a Trek Fuel Ex e (in fact, it's waiting for me when back from vacation!)
that, after I transfer my components over, I am hoping (!) it will weigh (just) under 40 lbs.
I can do decent but small bunny hops and 8-9 ft long jumps (about 1 ft high), usually going at about 9-10 mph
(my local trails don't have too much flow to allow going faster or leave much room for error, i.e. lots of trees around).
So nothing extreme but looking to keep learning.

The question I have, mainly for Levo SL or similar lightweight EMTB owners is, how do you compare bunny hops and jumps
between EMTB and MTB ? After getting used to the EMTB ride, are these harder to make or just require different technique ?
I have only seen one youtube video on this where someone found they can do about 85% of the bunny hop on EMTB vs analogue
so looking to hear what your personal experience has been.

Many thanks in advance.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
When my daughter swaps between her analogue genius to my lsl, she tells he it's no where near as easy to toss around . NB there's less than 2 kg difference , and the geometry is almost identical, although my suspension settings might be , er, plusher....

But as a rider of limited ability who moved from a norco optic, to a fat giant to an LSL - totally different giggle factor!!! I'm bouncing off things that I was too tired to notice on my old bikes , but that the giant would swallow up and barge over. Admittedly I'm more likely to manual over a log and let the motor get me back up to speed, where as on the pedal pumper I'd have bunny hopped to save energy. But if there is a lip coming out of a berm I'll launch sideways and grin - who cares if it's less efficient when the motor can make up speed? Imagine following an erratic crazed rally driver through suburbia ....Frk I love this thing.

So do yourself a favor, hire a fat emtb whilst on holiday. Marvel at the power and plush comfort. Tell yourself sure, you can learn to adapt to this overweight magic carpet. DO NOT get back aboard the stumpy. That trek is going to feel amazing. Just don't hop straight from the stumpy to the trek.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
When my daughter swaps between her analogue genius to my lsl, she tells he it's no where near as easy to toss around . NB there's less than 2 kg difference , and the geometry is almost identical, although my suspension settings might be , er, plusher....

But as a rider of limited ability who moved from a norco optic, to a fat giant to an LSL - totally different giggle factor!!! I'm bouncing off things that I was too tired to notice on my old bikes , but that the giant would swallow up and barge over. Admittedly I'm more likely to manual over a log and let the motor get me back up to speed, where as on the pedal pumper I'd have bunny hopped to save energy. But if there is a lip coming out of a berm I'll launch sideways and grin - who cares if it's less efficient when the motor can make up speed? Imagine following an erratic crazed rally driver through suburbia ....Frk I love this thing.

So do yourself a favor, hire a fat emtb whilst on holiday. Marvel at the power and plush comfort. Tell yourself sure, you can learn to adapt to this overweight magic carpet. DO NOT get back aboard the stumpy. That trek is going to feel amazing. Just don't hop straight from the stumpy to the trek.
Pdoz, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that plush suspension for you will be more firm for her. 😉

To the OP, I can bunny hop my Rise no problems, but I'd say the 85% thing sounds reasonable. I can bunny hop probably just as high as my regular bike but it takes a heap more effort and my shoulders know all about it the next day.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Pdoz, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that plush suspension for you will be more firm for her. 😉

To the OP, I can bunny hop my Rise no problems, but I'd say the 85% thing sounds reasonable. I can bunny hop probably just as high as my regular bike but it takes a heap more effort and my shoulders know all about it the next day.

Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I did not want to hear:) How heavy is your analogue and ebike ?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The e bikes need much more speed and compromise to achieve the same level of popping on small jumps and as per bunny hopping, forget it. All you could really get trying to bunny hop an ebike is pain…

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Thanks, exactly the kind of feedback I did not want to hear:) How heavy is your analogue and ebike ?
The Rise is 19kg, Rallon is 15kg or maybe 15.5kg. The fat bastard on top is the heavy bit in the system weight and what you're putting the most energy into getting off the ground when bunny hopping. Like I mentioned you have to put in a lot more effort to get the same height. I will usually only put in what is required to get over logs and rocks... why waste energy? I'd imagine the Trek will be much the same story.

I should also mention that I have my Rallon suspension set up slightly more damped with less pop than the Rise. So that, plus the extra travel would account for some differences in how easy it is to hop over things.

Long story short, these light ebikes are really fun to ride. It is almost like the manufacturers are onto something. If Orbea bring out an e equivalent of the Rallon (160-170mm travel) I'd be very tempted to switch to that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles