Bug mode

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Bug mode, is this a thing ?
Setting acceleration to eco, motor current to 20% , and the assist modes to 15 eco, 30 trail, and 45 turbo.
What does this bug mode do ?
Why would one want to use it?
Will it work on the 2018 Levo with all the latest firmware ?

Will it work with only mission control, or do I need a 3rd party app?

Google translate from French is terrible

Anyone care to help me understand the ins and outs of “bug mode” ?
Thanks

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Tried this out today and it works. I don’t know how or why, but it works.

My bike is a 2018 Levo with the latest firmware updates.

My usual settings were 30, 70, 100%
With 100 motor current and normal acceleration.

I set it to 15, 30, 45% with 20 motor current and eco acceleration.
Done a regular 25km loop, did not push harder, still went up the hills. Could hardly feel the power transition on and off around 25kmh and it felt real natural, and not surging.
Used 20% less battery.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Short version (how I understand it)

The first firmware gave you full support from the motor e.g. 500 watts in all modes.

Then they changed the firmware; Trail only gave you 400watts; zesus get's round this.

Yep, it feels way more natural.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i think its a bit more precise than that if you notice the zworks mode give zero motor current and the zues modes give varying degrees of motor current up to about 30% (from memory)
the zero motor current gives a very fluid response and the power is applied at the top of the pedal stroke and tapers off as the pedal cycle rotates. the zeus mode you get a bit more constant power application throughout the pedal circle. the differences are subtle but noticeable once you have tried a few modes. in my experience the battery lasts longer in zworks modes than it does on zeus modes and in both much longer than mission control settings

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
i think its a bit more precise than that if you notice the zworks mode give zero motor current and the zues modes give varying degrees of motor current up to about 30% (from memory)
the zero motor current gives a very fluid response and the power is applied at the top of the pedal stroke and tapers off as the pedal cycle rotates. the zeus mode you get a bit more constant power application throughout the pedal circle. the differences are subtle but noticeable once you have tried a few modes. in my experience the battery lasts longer in zworks modes than it does on zeus modes and in both much longer than mission control settings
I only run the mission control app and have made all the adjustments there. From what I gather with these settings, the motor will still give the full power available in each mode. However it does not come on super quick and this is how you save power and the feel of much more natural power delivery.
It just changes the speed in which the power is delivered to you.
Example would be with my normal settings I would turn the cranks without even trying, just being super lazy and relaxed and if would broadside me with it’s full available power immediately, and take off like a rocket. With these new found settings if I did that it would not give me all its power at once. It delivered the power more gradually proportional to how much I turn the cranks. But it still feels just as easy to ride.

Try out these settings in mission control, and feel the difference. Well really it don’t feel differently at all as far as the amount of effort you exert, or the amount of power it delivers. Just more natural, smoother, with great power savings to be had increasing your range.

Last edited:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
You can’t just put the settings in mission control it wont work its much more complicated than that the commands have to be rewritten by the other apps

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles