Brose motor resistance

Ste d

Nov 12, 2022
West Midlands
Hi forum I need an explanation for my bikes behaviour. The bike rides like it has the brakes on, reduced power along with resistance in freewheeling. When the assist is off you cannot pedal the bike for more than 10 yards before the resistance is to great. This is an intermediate problem.
When it freewheels correctly it assists properly and you really know the difference between the two.
I am it wits end.
Motor is brose 2021. 1300 miles.
Ste

Last edited:

glassman

Jun 30, 2022
Livermore CA
my 2022 alloy Levo Comp does the same thing. But only when I start in a powered on mode and turn off during ride. it doesn't do it when I start riding the bike with no power on....but yeh, it does feel like someone is pulling you back with a rope

Ste d

Nov 12, 2022
West Midlands
my 2022 alloy Levo Comp does the same thing. But only when I start in a powered on mode and turn off during ride. it doesn't do it when I start riding the bike with no power on....but yeh, it does feel like someone is pulling you back with a rope
So I start riding and turn the controller on as I am riding? Or do I start riding with no assist?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's impossible for the motor to slow you down or cause resistance to your free wheeling.

Just like if you pedal backwards on a normal bike (the motor freewheel separates that motion on an emtb) - it doesn't make you slow down.

The free wheel in the hub isolates that movement.

So you either have knackered wheel bearings, sticky brakes or a knackered free hub. All are easy to isolate.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It's impossible for the motor to slow you down or cause resistance to your free wheeling.

Just like if you pedal backwards on a normal bike (the motor freewheel separates that motion on an emtb) - it doesn't make you slow down.

The free wheel in the hub isolates that movement.

So you either have knackered wheel bearings, sticky brakes or a knackered free hub. All are easy to isolate.
I agree in general but I believe there is one scenario where this can be caused by an electrical fault and I have experienced those exact issues on a Bosch motored bike.......it was caused by a faulty controller....so in this case I would suspect a TCU fault. No idea how it happens!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles