Box 2 EMTB 9spd Groupset by Box Components

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Hi All does anyone have any reviews of this product can't seem to find much.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
I found several comments from supposed experts who couldn't set it up and one who got a refund. I ran mine for over a year and 2000 miles on 2 chains and it ran sweet all the time despite the wear (read on). Actually that's not quite true, it died after i had a terminal "stick meets mech" moment so the second chain was still going but tbh it was getting towards new cassette time anyway.

So, my mini review. I loved mine while it lasted. The range is great. The steps between felt spot on. It makes total sense to have less shifting on an eeb - aside from the range benefit a 12 speed setup has never made sense to me. Shifting was a little less slick than the 11 speed sram setup it replaced but not that much. Chain, cassette and shifter were robust. Mech is the weak point - iffy clutch, rubbish bearings (replaced by stainless steel ones but i ride in nasty conditions). When it broke it was dead anyway - the main reason i didn't replace it was the pivot points which were really, really badly worn in a short time. I really liked the idea but the strain on the mech with those big steps looks like it kills the mech. Parts were fairly hard to find so i constantly scoured the web when my chain started to go but the chains are really cheap when you do find one..... so buy two!

Final comment- make sure you get the ebike specific one. You can run the multi shift technically and i would in a pinch but you need to be careful in shifting.

I still have mine and spare chains but I doubt it'll go back on because of the mech.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I found several comments from supposed experts who couldn't set it up and one who got a refund. I ran mine for over a year and 2000 miles on 2 chains and it ran sweet all the time despite the wear (read on). Actually that's not quite true, it died after i had a terminal "stick meets mech" moment so the second chain was still going but tbh it was getting towards new cassette time anyway.

So, my mini review. I loved mine while it lasted. The range is great. The steps between felt spot on. It makes total sense to have less shifting on an eeb - aside from the range benefit a 12 speed setup has never made sense to me. Shifting was a little less slick than the 11 speed sram setup it replaced but not that much. Chain, cassette and shifter were robust. Mech is the weak point - iffy clutch, rubbish bearings (replaced by stainless steel ones but i ride in nasty conditions). When it broke it was dead anyway - the main reason i didn't replace it was the pivot points which were really, really badly worn in a short time. I really liked the idea but the strain on the mech with those big steps looks like it kills the mech. Parts were fairly hard to find so i constantly scoured the web when my chain started to go but the chains are really cheap when you do find one..... so buy two!

Final comment- make sure you get the ebike specific one. You can run the multi shift technically and i would in a pinch but you need to be careful in shifting.

I still have mine and spare chains but I doubt it'll go back on because of the mech.
Thanks Lol Rider appreciate that I have just a bike with this fitted on 3 rides old apparently seller rotates chain after every use and currently has 3. Looks like I may have to sell all my other bits and keep this system or will see how it goes, your report was great.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Currently looking into this myself but was planning to cobble together the Box 1 components with the box 2 cassette. Wonder if the higher end mech is significantly better than the next tier down Box2. The DLC chain makes alot of sense IMO.

Anyone here try the Box 1 yet?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles