Bought a second E8000 motor

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
So my 2018 e 8000 on my meta power is starting to clank after watching the Scottsman’s disassembly on YouTube, my original motor needs to probably get some new bearings and lube which of course can’t happen without a right to repair attitude from Shimano. so I decided to buy a second motor and when number one inevitably fails this one will go on I’m pretty sure I’ll have COMMENCAL do the work because I want someone else responsible for the firmware stuff seeing that I was advised never to upgrade the firmware by COMMENCAL. The rest of my bike, which has a bit less than 5000 miles is in great shape and I also have a bunch of batteries. Time will tell if I’m foolish but $1200 is a small fraction of a new bike. As soon as the dust clears on these new generation of 18 lb bikes coming on the market I probably will get them a second e bike . The meta power may weight slightly less than a Sherman tank but it still goes down and up anything . Plus it has a necessity : coil shock
image.jpg
So

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
So my 2018 e 8000 on my meta power is starting to clank after watching the Scottsman’s disassembly on YouTube, my original motor needs to probably get some new bearings and lube which of course can’t happen without a right to repair attitude from Shimano. so I decided to buy a second motor and when number one inevitably fails this one will go on I’m pretty sure I’ll have COMMENCAL do the work because I want someone else responsible for the firmware stuff seeing that I was advised never to upgrade the firmware by COMMENCAL. The rest of my bike, which has a bit less than 5000 miles is in great shape and I also have a bunch of batteries. Time will tell if I’m foolish but $1200 is a small fraction of a new bike. As soon as the dust clears on these new generation of 18 lb bikes coming on the market I probably will get them a second e bike . The meta power may weight slightly less than a Sherman tank but it still goes down and up anything . Plus it has a necessity : coil shock View attachment 97958 So
Did same thing for my merida, just in case. Problem is the warranty is 2 years from purchase so may never have any left when I fit the motor.....

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
So I actually bought a brand new in the original box e8000 motor. COMMENCAL USA ordered it for me and shipped it to my home $1200. So now I’m still riding the original clanker but keep to motor with me. If and when it locks up etc I’m gonna to put it all in a box and send it to COMMENCAL to switch it out. I have never even updated the firmware so whether I could physically replace the motor ( which I easily could ) I want those guys to deal with the quirky software. The joke is that I’ve been riding my analogue pivot a whole lot.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I was off my ebike for some spine surgery. Went for a ride 8 weeks post op in on and off heavy rain and hail on the clementine loop in Auburn,CA. IT WAS ESPECIALLY squirrelly with the motor threatening to seize at any moment. Thinking it was time for a
Change I got it all prepared to ship to COMMENCAL in golden ,co for the work. Then I spoke with my w shop away from home and Joey said bring it in. Additionally I figured while it was apart let’s do the bearings ,
Derailleur inner and outer cable. Turned out I needed more stuff but finally picked it up yesterday. Either I can’t remember just how powerful the First E8000 was but it seems that this new one is even better. Maybe it’s the way Joey at Absolute
In Sedona set up the firmware but wow the power is just insane. I’ve yet to find a new ebike that I want more than this 2018. This bike is so worth the reinvestment.

image.jpg image.jpg

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I like this story, so happy to hear it worked out.
But it's so weird that they don't just sell the cogs / bearings so one with the knowledge can make it their cusiness to service the motor, and many bikes could have a second life.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I used to think of it your way. I contacted the Scotsman who produced a detailed tear down and rebuild of an e8000 motor and he demurred on taking on a repair. Then I located a place in the SE USA who had the actual bearings but would attempt to rebuilt for 2/3 the price of a new motor but no guarentee it wouldn’t become bricked. Eventually the right to repair movement in Europe might create the situation where either you and I could buy the parts , especially the small circuit boards that are easily damaged in attempted repairs.

But I’ve since reconsidered. While over $1000 US is steep, considering I got approx 5 years and 5000 miles of mostly nasty singletrack out of the motor, or $225 /year , I’m thinking it’s a reasonable deal.

If I thought that the passage of time has rendered this COMMENCAL so obsolete as to not be worth it, then other than thinking that vintage is cool, I would have made the bike some kind of conversation piece. But it’s still an amazing ride. Everything basically works as good or better than new at this point.

It’s hard to forecast how long an aluminum frame will last, which would be its death knell. I’ve broken welds on regular non powered mountain bikes so I’m aware everything wears out eventually. That’s for sure happening to my spine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles