Bosch speedbox 3.0 problem.

Mince

Feb 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Hello
I have a 21 model scott genius e910 fitted with a speedbox 3.0 which I have covered just 500mls with no problems
Until last attempted ride out when I turn the purion on it now just flickers on and off repeatedly if I remove the speedbox and put it back to standard it switches on stays on has anyone had a problem

Kyösti

Jun 24, 2021
FI
Hi,
I had a similar problem at autumn in my Cube bike. Speedbox 3.0 was working fine about 6 months before it started to flickering as well. I had to remove speedbox and manufacturer suggested only for cleaning contacts which didn't helped with this issue.

Nozzi 141

Jan 25, 2023
Cape Town
Hello
I have a 21 model scott genius e910 fitted with a speedbox 3.0 which I have covered just 500mls with no problems
Until last attempted ride out when I turn the purion on it now just flickers on and off repeatedly if I remove the speedbox and put it back to standard it switches on stays on has anyone had a problem
Just had the same issue with my Trek Rail 5. No issues with it for 2 years took it into the dealer for a frame warranty next minute bike started playing up after being faultless for over 3000 miles. New motor fitted , power cables software update completed. Plugged speedbox 3.0 back in and it just switches on and off unplug put back to std and no problem 🤔

izometric

Aug 11, 2022
Belgium
I used speedbox 3.0 for 1600 Km since I bought the bike new. I gave up the warranty all together, I didn't even went to the compulsory 500 km check-up. The reason was that I wanted to avoid any kind of software update and I know that derestriction can be detected with a diagnostic tool and warranty will be voided anyhow.

So, 1600 km and 11 month later, my speedbox 3.0 suddenly died. It displayed error 503 (no speed reading) and the bike would go in limp mode (less than 20 kmph)

I contacted the reseller, he put me in contact with a technical sales from Speedbox, we troubleshot the unit, a decision was made to have my unit replaced.

Meanwhile, while waiting for the return process to complete, I purchased a Volspeed V4 because riding the bike to work in the middle of nowhere limited at 25kmph was absolute torture.

There is no difference in behavior between the Speedbox and Volspeed. The Volspeed electronics box is smaller than the speedbox, but the wiring is almost double in length. So in terms of volume occupied inside the motor cover there is no difference, but I would give a slight advantage to Speedbox. The package feels somewhat more compact.

Speedbox is virtually not limited in speed. If you have the right gears and muscle power, you can theoretically go to 99 kmph.

Volspeed can be set to a maximum of 45 kmph, which is more than enough, I never exceeded this speed limit so perfectly fine for me. I usually ride at 35-38 kmph.

Another advantage of the Volspeed is that it alternates the range reading with the battery percentage left. This is a nice perk, I really like it.

All in all, I am perfectly happy with both derestricting boxes. Riding almost one week without one was traumatic, I don't want to repeat the experience. So until I will pass one more year to make my bike worth the purchase cost, sell it and reinvest in a speed pedelec, I decided to keep the Speedbox replacement unit that will be sent back to me as a reserve.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles