Bosch Smart motor 2022 - walk assist problems

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Mine works fine, just need to select a really low gear so that it gives minimum rear wheel drive. But some conditions it's better to push the bike, like when it's really slippery and the rear wheel will just spin.
A year later still working fine. A benefit of having a Trek Rail Gen 2 which doesnt have software updates which often appear to introduce more new errors as the old ones are fixed. Good reason not to be a beta tester for Bosch's latest and greatest tbh.

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
It's not so much that there is fundamental difference between the old and newer versions, it's that there is a glaring technical error seemingly caused by Trek's use of the proprietary speed sensor cable and/or magnet. Every other bike brand on the smart system has no issues it seems, and now that mine is working properly, neither do I. It does seem ridiculous that given the pages of discussion around this issue, nobody at Trek or Bosch appears to be aware of the problem or able to solve it. In the dealer the other day, there was talk of replacing the motor unit! If it turns out this is a simple magnet orientation or mis-wiring issue as it appears after my revelation yesterday, I wonder how many motors have been replaced because of this and still to o avail?
My Focus (with Smart System) has the walk mode issue as well. I will try flipping the magnet and see if that helps. Thanks for the input.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles