Bosch Performance Line SPEED - Custom Riding Modes missing?

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
I just picked up my R&M Charger 4 with the Bosch Performance Line Speed (Smart System) motor.

I was most excited about being able to change the driving modes to my liking as shown in all the smart system videos:
4B1C32A0-7D69-4A85-87DD-F9A8F643967F.jpeg

However, in my Flow app it does not show the “Custom Riding Modes” tile:
C03A12C9-A06E-43DA-A7A6-6D3ABD828FAD.jpeg

I checked the firmware and I’m on the latest version. Does anyone have any idea what’s going on here? Why would the Speed version not have custom ride modes?

Very confused.

EDIT: the website for the CX speed motor mentions customizable riding modes several times as well.

Last edited:

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
You can only edit them when connected to the ebike. Does it not show even when you are connected to the bike?

Should say "ready to go" as in the top screen shot
No it doesn’t even show when I’m connected and it says ready to go. The entire “custom ride modes” tile is just missing.

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
Strange, perhaps log the problem with Bosch
Yeah I emailed support. I’m just terrified they’ll tell me “oh yeah… for the speed version of the motor custom ride modes are not supported. The info on our website is an oversight. Our apologies.”

And then I sunk 6k on a bike without custom ride modes which was THE feature I really wanted.

Fingers crossed this is just something that will be fixed with a firmware update but I have no experience with Bosch motors so no idea what to expect.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
go into setting and select " Custom Riding Modes". Once you have modified any setting the Custom Riding Modes wil appear on the home screen whenever you connect to the bike.

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
go into setting and select " Custom Riding Modes". Once you have modified any setting the Custom Riding Modes wil appear on the home screen whenever you connect to the bike.
Here is a screenshot of my settings menu. Am I missing something?
5E7B446D-3971-498A-A16C-83421CBB6565.png

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
I'm on 1.11.6 its the latest as far as I'm aware
Does anyone here have the Bosch Performance Line SPEED motor?

My dealer told me I’m probably one of the first in Europe to take delivery of one so I assume no? I’d love to find out if this issue is maybe related to the Speed motor?

nik4o77

Jan 24, 2020
Bulgaria
Does anyone here have the Bosch Performance Line SPEED motor?

My dealer told me I’m probably one of the first in Europe to take delivery of one so I assume no? I’d love to find out if this issue is maybe related to the Speed motor?
Your dealer can issue a service case to responsible Bosch service team in a 5 min. through Diagnostic tool and to asks them for help.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
very confusing!! I checked the R and M site.........one section refers off to Bosch info and according to that chart ( below), the Performance Line Speed motor is not part of the Bosch Smart System.

Charger.JPG

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
So I just got word from Bosch support again and they say the pedelecs do not get custom ride support due to regulations:

In this case it is because, due to homologation it is not available for speed pedelecs.

I’m a bit pissed about this because the website for the speed motor specifically mentions custom ride support. I feel a little mislead. :/

Really not sure why regulations would prevent you from customizing your ride modes. Can’t you even customize this for a Tesla?

Attached some screenshots from the website and the email I received from Bosch.

419B8B4D-C047-43BA-90FA-4FD32FBFF9C1.jpeg 1B846577-15C0-4F4C-B645-8AE0B55371D9.jpeg 3ADB374A-0A9D-4F90-8418-E09212128C7D.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It would seem that Bosch made an error on their website. Just to correct one thing on your post above..........your bike is a Speed Pedelec......ie not a basic pedelec. The Speed pedelec reaches speeds beyond the classification of a basic pedelec.....which is 20kph ....or 25kph in some countries.

They state in their reply to you that the bike is prevented from being further tuned because that ability was not homologated. I have to say, that sounds strange....there is no homologation requirement for pedelecs but since ( in some countries) a Speed Pedelec is actually classified as a Motorcycle with all the regulations that apply to motorcycles ( tax/insurance/registration/lights/helmet) it may well require homologation........in the UK at least it would certainly require type approval and registration with the Driver Vehicle Licencing Authority. I dont know what the situation is in your country but since it is in the EU I assume that applies in the same way. As I pointed out above, according to the Bosch Website the Performance Speed Bosch motor is not part of the Bosch Smart System ( gen3). Maybe that is wrong as well?? I think your best bet is to take the bike back to wherever you bought it and get them to explain exactly what the requirements are for you to use that bike.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Any motor that can be connected to the Flow app or has a Remote LED controller must be a smart system motor.

The Bosch website clearly shows the Performance Line Speed smart system motor: Performance Line Speed: The Bosch motor for S-pedelecs

It also states the possibility to customize riding modes under the header smart features. This could be a copy and paste error from the web designer.

I would suggest to contact the dealer and let them clarify what the true capability is.

venicenerd

Feb 18, 2023
Barcelona
Any motor that can be connected to the Flow app or has a Remote LED controller must be a smart system motor.

The Bosch website clearly shows the Performance Line Speed smart system motor: Performance Line Speed: The Bosch motor for S-pedelecs

It also states the possibility to customize riding modes under the header smart features. This could be a copy and paste error from the web designer.

I would suggest to contact the dealer and let them clarify what the true capability is.
Yeah it’s definitely a Smart System. The Speed motor is a new addition to the system. Was just released two weeks ago.

Two Bosch service reps confirmed that the Speed motor does not have custom riding modes and that the website is incorrect. Bummer.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Two Bosch service reps confirmed that the Speed motor does not have custom riding modes and that the website is incorrect. Bummer.
As I thought, but a real shame. I don’t understand why a bike manufacturer couldn’t homologate the S-Pedelec including the riding mode customization.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As I thought, but a real shame. I don’t understand why a bike manufacturer couldn’t homologate the S-Pedelec including the riding mode customization.
I think because S Pedelecs are not homologated ( and standard pedelecs are bicycles so there is no requirement). Homologation requires proof of a minimum number production and type approval..............both very expensive exercises which are totally avoided by ordinary pedelecs. Repeating what I mentioned a bove, in the UK there are companies selling S Pedelecs but they are only legal to be used on private land that has no public access unless they are individually type approved and registered with the DVLA. The type approval is achieved by submitting the bike to a DVLA Test Centre for a fee ( it checks all relevant road worthyness aspects and that it has lights horn etc...same as a moped). It then can be registered with the DVLA and requirements to ride it are the same as a moped ( tax, insurance etc). Note it cannot be used where motorised vehicles are banned...in the UK that is virtually everwhere offroad. Since these regulations were made by the EU (and still adopted by the UK for the time being) I assume the situation is similar in the OPs country.
If the OP intended buying a mountain bike, his easiest route would be to get the shop to change his motor to the standard 4th Gen Performance CX on the basis he was misled..............it would then be a pedelec ( max assisted speed 20kph)......he would a void any of the Speed Pedelec restrictions, have full Flow app mode tuning options.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I think because S Pedelecs are not homologated
In the EU S-Pedelecs must be homologated or they are not allowed on public roads.
After homologation those bikes are classified as motor vehicles and come with CoC papers. They also carry tons of restrictions, where to drive, need to wear a helmet, need for insurance, need for a license plate and so on.
Only benefit is the motor may support up to 45 kph and the max. average motor output of 350W.
These S-Pedelcs are mostly driven by commuters or professional bike cargo services.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Here in NZ a "S-Pedelec" is classed in the same space as all other ebikes. It just has a higher top speed (45kph) but you can ride them and use them in all the same areas as a normal bicycle and ebike.

If normal (non-electric) road bikes and commuter bikes can do 45kph on the road why should (S-Pedelec's) be treated any different?

ttrucwy

Apr 23, 2023
UK
I have a R&M roadster HS, it is fitted with the Nyon display/computer which is the interface for custom riding modes. You have to purchase the extension to the app, £3.99 which does not seem here or there. You can adjust just about everything from speed assist levels to the speed at which it cuts off. The key is having the Nyon but I am not sure the Bosch smart system always for this display. Hope that helps.

C87B97F9-F556-49B1-99C6-CA7F9B01DBBF.jpeg 2B36052F-9103-4E2D-B106-34803127CDFE.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles