Bosch Nyon vs Kiox - Is Nyon too big?

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
Hello all, what are your thoughts, is the Nyon distracting on an MTB? I have the last generation Nyon on my Trekking bike and loved it, but that was a different style of bike. I almost never used the Navi, but used the online tracking, custom motor modes and fitness displays a lot. In photos seen online, it appears to just not look right on the bars and the Kiox seems like a better fit? What are your thoughts?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Hello all, what are your thoughts, is the Nyon distracting on an MTB? I have the last generation Nyon on my Trekking bike and loved it, but that was a different style of bike. I almost never used the Navi, but used the online tracking, custom motor modes and fitness displays a lot. In photos seen online, it appears to just not look right on the bars and the Kiox seems like a better fit? What are your thoughts?
a n old thread but here is a size comparison.....Nyon is similar in size to the Garmin 1030.... more wide vs a longer 1030

IMG_2311.jpg

Rubik

Jan 31, 2021
Billingshurst. West Sussex
We have a couple of Cube Reaction Hybrids 2021, one is an SL and the other a Race, which our bike shop changed the system over to Nyon 2020 for us. Bottom line is we love them, just be sure to get the mount orientated so that it fits closer over the headset, rather than projecting forwards, as it makes a huge difference. There is no instructions on how to change it around, but just undo the 4 corner Torx screws and the plate spins within the housing when you reverse it. In the back position it sits perfectly for viewing without being distracting. I use it for stats, and the navigation works very well, allowing auto sync with Routes created in Komoot, and follow easily with alerts for approaching turns. Ot even has options to take you to route start points, or just the next way point, which is useful as you cannot always start at exactly the pallned route start. It has great options for designing screens and customisation. Once route is complete it auto syncs over WiFi or Bluetooth including back to Komoot if you link accounts. I can completely recommend it as a system.

Rubik

Jan 31, 2021
View attachment 66041 View attachment 66042

Zoom in on first photo to see what they look like in the wilds of Wales. These are both in the back position. The display can be tilted to the ideal angle, depending on your position. In the front position, the display stick out too far IMHO. But....an excellent unit.
The SL is a 21 inch frame, the Race (with neon bar grips) is a 19inch frame.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Yea i would suggest it more for the tourer or commuter? Probably wont be the best on single track?
Works perfectly fine on Single track, size isn't an issue at all and that's riding down Rocky Black Diamond descents. If you run a Garmin 830-1030 above ur stem then its really no different tbh.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Works perfectly fine on Single track, size isn't an issue at all and that's riding down Rocky Black Diamond descents. If you run a Garmin 830-1030 above ur stem then its really no different tbh.
Yea i used to use ta gear in 1000 & it was huge conpaired to my mates smaller ones, great for directions though

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Yea i used to use ta gear in 1000 & it was huge conpaired to my mates smaller ones, great for directions though
Definitely bigger but if you crash and hit that location above the stem....its gonna hit any size bike computer. I have a 1030 and an 830....830 is half the size of the 1030. The only time either were damaged was when my chest/body knocked them off during a crash....damage was from bouncing around.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Agree, and the mount clamp is rock solid over rough terrain.
I think what really matters is if you like Data....seeing Elevation gained, HR, Ride time, or any of the other info Garmins/Stages/Wahoo's give and like being able to set up custom data screens to suit ur needs then its great. Great info for use as training tool as well. If you typically use a high end bike computer.....then its great, if you don't typically use one....then you probably don't need it.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Can you use OS maps on this ?
I dont need Data just basic bike controls and speed etc BUT I use OS maps on my phone all the time and cant get on with the alternatives .
Need something simple as old farts have difficulty with too much digital stuff.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
No. Mapping has good coverage though, and you can import gpx files via Komoot, and sync.

Komoot interoperates with the Bosch ebike portal and so routes created on Komoot automagically find their way onto the Nyon right quick

Rubik

Jan 31, 2021
Komoot interoperates with the Bosch ebike portal and so routes created on Komoot automagically find their way onto the Nyon right quick
I find it much easier to create, edit, import and export I'm Komoot, and the Nyon headset just needs WiFi or Bluetooth connection and it syncs immediately. Only issue is that rides with stops creates two sections, and a summary of the day's riding, but only the sections get synced to Komoot. Solution is to export and join gpx files, but it is inconvenient.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Is it possible to customize a drive mode with the Nyon plugged in and then use the customized mode with the Kiox?

Not sure it's worth it to me to splash that much cash for a Nyon just to tweak modes but it would be good to know if it's even an option.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Is it possible to customize a drive mode with the Nyon plugged in and then use the customized mode with the Kiox?

Not sure it's worth it to me to splash that much cash for a Nyon just to tweak modes but it would be good to know if it's even an option.
No, the Custom modes on Nyon can't be used on Kiox

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Is the nav function easier to use and more intuitive than on the Garmin 830 or above devises ? My Garmin 830 edge has been close to being thrown in the hedge a few times.
Im tempted, i hardly ever use my 830 now and just use my fenix if needed. I guess its an easy swap out from the Kiox to the new nyon and the tweaking of the motor maps intrigues me .

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
So much for buying one of these, I've exhausted the internet, all out of stock :rolleyes: Drop me a pm if anyone has one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles