• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Bosch Gen 4 derestriction

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
so whats the best way of derestricting these???
Speedbox 3, VOLspeed V3
There are differing opinions as to whether the Bosch Dealer Software can detect tuning and it will invalidate the warranty if they can.
can power modes etc be adjusted in an app???
No.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Speedbox 3, VOLspeed V3
There are differing opinions as to whether the Bosch Dealer Software can detect tuning and it will invalidate the warranty if they can.

No.
have you done your rail, if so which option did you go for???

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
have you done your rail, if so which option did you go for???

I haven’t, I just pedal harder when I need to. There are times when I’d like the limit to be higher but after having 4 of the old Bosch motors replaced under warranty I’m not prepared to risk losing my warranty even though the new motor is proving to be far more reliable.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I haven’t, I just pedal harder when I need to. There are times when I’d like the limit to be higher but after having 4 of the old Bosch motors replaced under warranty I’m not prepared to risk losing my warranty even though the new motor is proving to be far more reliable.
Will try without 1st and see how i get on, my local area isn't that interesting so speed helps a little. I'd like not to use it to be fair just to increase range.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It is possible to drop the motor without removing the cranks but it's a bit unwieldy.

gypsy

Nov 28, 2020
surbiton
I have the speedbox3 on my Bosch from new, 500km and no issues, allow the countdown to finish before powering off and jobs a good'un.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I have the speedbox3 on my Bosch from new, 500km and no issues, allow the countdown to finish before powering off and jobs a good'un.
i went for the volspeed so i didn't have to wait for countdown, i know what im like. Always like to get bike cleaned and lubed immediately.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I’m also interested in derestricting mine, but I’m not sure anyone makes one that’s compatible for the new Bosch smart system AND the Bosch wheel rim/valve stem magnet sensor. Anyone know?

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Unfortunately that won’t work if you have the Bosch wheel rim valve stem magnet sensor. I emailed them and they confirmed that it won’t work.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
just put a magnet on the wheel spokes.
Yeah thanks, but it doesn’t work like that. My motor sensor is internal. There is no cable or wire that runs down the chainstay to a sensor on the spokes or rotor. It’s a wireless connection from the valve stem magnet to the motor.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

it is a magnet it is not wireless or do you put batts in it lol

Yes, it’s a magnet. Its wireless in that there is no wire and sensor that runs from the motor to the magnet on the valve stem or down the chainstay to a magnet on the rotor or spokes. That cannot be changed to a wired system without changing the program parameters in the software which can only be done by a certified Bosch service center. So I’ll just have to wait until someone comes out with a solution to work for my setup, (2022 smart system with the Bosch wheel rim valve stem magnet). I was originally asking to see if anyone made a de-restrictor FOR MY SETUP, not to try to change it to a different sensor setup.

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Yes, it’s a magnet. Its wireless in that there is no wire and sensor that runs from the motor to the magnet on the valve stem or down the chainstay to a magnet on the rotor or spokes. That cannot be changed to a wired system without changing the program parameters in the software which can only be done by a certified Bosch service center. So I’ll just have to wait until someone comes out with a solution to work for my setup, (2022 smart system with the Bosch wheel rim valve stem magnet). I was originally asking to see if anyone made a de-restrictor FOR MY SETUP, not to try to change it to a different sensor setup.

Eplus had some info on this a while back. They said their version for the rim magnet will include a standard speed sensor for the chain stay and some sort of insulating material that's meant to be attached to the motor, to prevent the built in sensor reading the rim magnet. Looks like it's now due in the market in September: Bosch Smart System – Speed Unlocker

Staff member
Subscriber
Jul 15, 2020
FORUM
Thread tidied.

This is a thread to discuss how to de-restrict in the de restriction area of the forum. Each thread has the relevant warnings about de restriction at the beginning of each thread.

De restriction techniques should not be discussed elsewhere within the forum.

Likewise, trolling the de restriction technique threads with your views and opinions on de restriction is also wasting everyone's time. If you wish to discuss the reasons why you should/shouldn't there are many existing threads on the subject.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Eplus had some info on this a while back. They said their version for the rim magnet will include a standard speed sensor for the chain stay and some sort of insulating material that's meant to be attached to the motor, to prevent the built in sensor reading the rim magnet. Looks like it's now due in the market in September: Bosch Smart System – Speed Unlocker

‘We’ll after looking at their website, they mention having an application for the Bosch smart system with the “classic speed sensor” but they don’t mention anything about the wheel rim magnet version. I’ll have to contact them and see. Thanks for the info and link. 👍🏼

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

‘We’ll after looking at their website, they mention having an application for the Bosch smart system with the “classic speed sensor”

edit, I emailed them and they said they will have a compatible system for my setup in September! 😃👍🏼

Last edited:

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
‘We’ll after looking at their website, they mention having an application for the Bosch smart system with the “classic speed sensor”

edit, I emailed them and they said they will have a compatible system for my setup in September! 😃👍🏼
Any updates?

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
So a hall sensor is in a motor? and it reads magnet's passings even from 5-10cm ?

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
So to those that have fitted a speedbox or volspeed to their gen 4 Bosch with 625 battery, how has it affected the range you can do?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles