Bosch Gen 3 Chain guide

redshit

Oct 22, 2021
Wales
Hey folks, I've a Cube Reaction Hybrid performance 500 with a bosh gen 3 motor.

I've had issues with the chain jumping off when changing through gears quickly and on rough terrain so I was considering a chain guide. I've noticed the Gen 3 appears to have bolt holes for attaching a chain guide but not sure if it meets any particular standard or if anyones had luck fitting one?

cheers

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
Hey folks, I've a Cube Reaction Hybrid performance 500 with a bosh gen 3 motor.

I've had issues with the chain jumping off when changing through gears quickly and on rough terrain so I was considering a chain guide. I've noticed the Gen 3 appears to have bolt holes for attaching a chain guide but not sure if it meets any particular standard or if anyones had luck fitting one?

cheers

Did you have any joy?
This is something I want to sort too.....

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
So. I’ve fitted one whilst doing a new chain and rear cogs.

Found a E-Thirteen espec Bosch chainguide on eBay, removed from a new bike for £12.

I did have to rub the inner edge of the guide down by 1-2mm to stop chain rub in first gear, but other than that, seems ok.

143EB95B-9AEA-47A2-9BE5-F5685923DC8A.jpeg

Headshrinker

Sep 22, 2022
Scotland
So. I’ve fitted one whilst doing a new chain and rear cogs.

Found a E-Thirteen espec Bosch chainguide on eBay, removed from a new bike for £12.

I did have to rub the inner edge of the guide down by 1-2mm to stop chain rub in first gear, but other than that, seems ok.

View attachment 98642
Ah, ok, I didn't think those holes were threaded?
Did you have to take the chain ring off?
Ive actually fitted a new derailleur with a clutch now and its made a massive difference, Id quite like to fit a chain guard too though.

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
Yerr they’re M4, got a few from ebay 10mm long.
You don’t have to remove the chain ring, but I did originally to check the M4’s.
What derailleur did you go for?

Headshrinker

Sep 22, 2022
Scotland
You don’t have to remove the chain ring, but I did originally to check the M4’s.
cheers, Ill take a look.

I went for the microShift 9 speed with clutch, changed the cassette and shifters too.
Didn't realise how much the chain moved around till I upgraded, barely any noise now going over rough terrain whereas before it sounded like a bag of spanners and my chain always came off.

Headshrinker

Sep 22, 2022
Scotland
Is yours definitely a gen3?
I’ve just checked and the holes on mine are definitely not threaded.
There doesn’t even seem to be space to fit a chain guide.
To make matters worse, I’ve cracked the plastic chainring protector that clips onto the chainring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles