Bosch ebike motor refitting after overhaul

Grimtim2020

Jul 16, 2020
Grimsby
I've had an exchange motor back from the performance line bearings which i am sure is fine. However my cannondale moterra frame holes doesn't quite line up with the motor mount holes. I have tried to fit it today five time to no avail. I can get up to five bolts in but never six. Idont want attempt to load up the frame as it is a carbon fibre one. It appears bosch tolerances may be different from motor to motor. Has anybody else had these problems.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I always thought the motor mount brackets had a little play/movement. It can be a tight fit but eventually all 6 bolts go in…fairly easily. Maybe some bracket adjustment?

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Double check that all the cables and wiring passing behind the motor are in place…
Undo some bolts an start setting this one first…
Driller ?!?!
Reifitting both the bosch on the cube and a shimano on the spectral demanded quite a lot of patience 😒

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I had the same issue. You need this tool to adjust the mounting brackets.
Wiha TORX PLUS® Security 25 IPR 1/4" bit for Bosch Gen.4 retaining plates
bosch-gen4-motor-with-torx-plus-security-25-ipr-screws_3840x2160.jpg

I bought a cheap set from amazon...

Grimtim2020

Jul 16, 2020
Grimsby
Thanks for the replies. I have a had a cup of tea, sworn quite a lot and with some patience it is in. In future the star drivers would be the way forward I think. Unfortunately I didn't have a tool to adjust them but it might speed up the process next time. Thanks for the pointer.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
You’d think that a template or jig is needed sometimes to correctly pre-align the mounting brackets.

A Torx security driver is definitely needed to do this. But the motor must be out because there’s no access with the motor in place. At least that’s how I see it.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
We fit a lot of these motors in the workshop after they have been on the bench and have not had any problems so far? The brackets have virtually no movement around the TS25 screws so can never really be that far out. The one thing we do though, is start each TP40 bolt only a few threads into the frame and then once all bolts are started, then we tighten them. Always seems to work for us.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Put in each of the bolts loosely and tighten slightly one at a time. Dont fit one, tighten, then the next and so on.

Edit- just noticed Bearing mans post :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles