Bontrager XR4 Comp tryes

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
When I picked my new Trek rail 5 up in February I was all set to make it tubeless only to find the tyres didn't say TLR on them. So I thought that's crap and bought a set of Michelin E Wilds and popped them on. After 400 miles on the bike I was thinking again about the XR4 Comps that came on it. I've had a look at the beads and they look like a UST shaped bead (universal system tubeless) Has anyone that has had any of these tyres on their bikes tried them tubeless ?

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I didn’t know there is still tires out there, that you CANT run tubeless.
No I thought most tyres on bikes like this would be tubeless but these don't say it on the sidewall bit the bead looks the right shape. Maybe it was old stock Trek had and had to chuck them on it to get the bikes out

Thesag

Feb 27, 2021
Fort Worth; Texas USA
It’s true. My new Rail 5 tires were not tubeless ready. Trying to find 2.6’s in the US now but stock seems very low. Lots of 2.5’s available for some reason but don’t want to go narrower than the stock setup.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would still give tubeless a go. Ensure the rim tape is TLR and use a good sealant. IMO, you need more than a track pump to inflate a tubeless tyre. You need something that will explode the tyre beads onto the rim. Either a ready made solution like the "Airshot", or a ghetto solution conjured up from a coke bottle and old valves.
Or you could use a tube to install the tyre, then loosen one side and remove the tube, fit the tubeless valve and proceed from there.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I would still give tubeless a go. Ensure the rim tape is TLR and use a good sealant. IMO, you need more than a track pump to inflate a tubeless tyre. You need something that will explode the tyre beads onto the rim. Either a ready made solution like the "Airshot", or a ghetto solution conjured up from a coke bottle and old valves.
Or you could use a tube to install the tyre, then loosen one side and remove the tube, fit the tubeless valve and proceed from there.
Cheers for the info but I already use it tubeless like the rest of my bikes. I bought some Michelin E wilds before I even rode the bike and re taped the rims with gorilla tape, I always use Stans sealant. I was just wanting to know if anyone else had run these xr4 comp as tubeless before I have them ago myself, I could then take my e wilds off and save them for winter.

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
I’m running the XR4 tubeless. 400 miles with no issues. Set up using Gorilla clear repair tape, Bontreger valves and Stans sealant. Even with some hefty tyre flex after running at 10 psi (after puncture) it didn’t pop off. They seem ok for a summer trail tyre.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
I’m running the XR4 tubeless. 400 miles with no issues. Set up using Gorilla clear repair tape, Bontreger valves and Stans sealant. Even with some hefty tyre flex after running at 10 psi (after puncture) it didn’t pop off. They seem ok for a summer trail tyre.
Is that the Comp or team issue your running ? If it's the Comp then I'm going to give it a go

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
Is that the Comp or team issue your running ? If it's the Comp then I'm going to give it a go
The xr4 comp. work fine for now, once I’ve worn them out I’ll get something better.

DD048E3E-A491-4DCD-9A33-3CE84FD38977.jpeg

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Cheers for the info, it's good to know someone out there has given the tyres ago as tubeless. I'm going to give mine ago now for summer and save the Michelin E wilds (which seem a great tyre after 455miles) for winter.
We were making ghetto tubeless solutions like 10 years ago, wrapping gorilla tape on the rims and slapping any folding tire on. Has anything changed, besides the TR “tubeless ready” on tires?

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
We were making ghetto tubeless solutions like 10 years ago, wrapping gorilla tape on the rims and slapping any folding tire on. Has anything changed, besides the TR “tubeless ready” on tires?
I've always wondered the same. Only difference I can tell with the looks of the tyres is that these aren't folding tyres as they must have a word bead, but the bead profile is the same as a tubeless one.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Cheers for the info but I already use it tubeless like the rest of my bikes. I bought some Michelin E wilds before I even rode the bike and re taped the rims with gorilla tape, I always use Stans sealant. I was just wanting to know if anyone else had run these xr4 comp as tubeless before I have them ago myself, I could then take my e wilds off and save them for winter.
I used to be a fan of Gorilla tape instead of normal rim tape. It was cheap, went on easy, looked great. What was not to like? The glue in the tape moves for starters and ends up gluing your tyres to the bead! Bad enough when in your garage, but disastrous when on the trail and you can't get your tyre off. I entertained this Forum for a week with the catalogue of disaster that ensued when trying to remove my tyres.

By the way I contacted the makers of Gorilla tape in the USA and they would not tell me what solvent I could use to remove the horrendous sticky gunge clinging to my rims. Normal stuff does not work. From being a fan I now believe that Gorilla tape on your rims is the work of Satan!

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
I used to be a fan of Gorilla tape instead of normal rim tape. It was cheap, went on easy, looked great. What was not to like? The glue in the tape moves for starters and ends up gluing your tyres to the bead! Bad enough when in your garage, but disastrous when on the trail and you can't get your tyre off. I entertained this Forum for a week with the catalogue of disaster that ensued when trying to remove my tyres.

By the way I contacted the makers of Gorilla tape in the USA and they would not tell me what solvent I could use to remove the horrendous sticky gunge clinging to my rims. Normal stuff does not work. From being a fan I now believe that Gorilla tape on your rims is the work of Satan!
Gorilla clear repair tape, not the black duct tape. Evostik adhesive remover works fine or a bit of petrol if your away from the garage.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I never had it stick to my tires. I’d cut it (black stuff, clear was not invented yet) just the nipple head widths down the center, 2 strips and done. I use to make homemade Stans, about a half gallon for 10-$15!!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Gorilla clear repair tape, not the black duct tape. Evostik adhesive remover works fine or a bit of petrol if your away from the garage.
Yep, petrol is the cheap and readily available solution!
Apply with an old rag and rub at it. It doesn't seem to work at first, but then all of a sudden it does!
To be done outside of course and clear of any naked flames, and no smoking (obvs).

Blue Orange

Feb 27, 2022
Cornwall UK
I converted mine to Tubeless as soon as I got the bike not realising they weren't TLR.
350 miles in and I've had no problem.

I ended up having new wheels under warranty and it was the shop mechanic who informed me they weren't TLR when they went to fit the tyres on my new wheels.

Sgarth42

Oct 13, 2021
York
Good to know. The LBS that supplied my Rail 5 stressed the tyres were not Tubless Compatible but having read this thread may just give it a go and convert to Tubeless

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If the tyre is not tubeless or tubeless ready (TLR) just make sure that you use a latex sealant. The latex sealants seem to seal the carcass so much more quickly and do a better and longer lasting job than the non-latex sealants. The only downside of latex is that it goes off and ends up as a ball rumbling around inside your tyre.
When it comes time to top up, don't scrape off the latex skin on the inside of your tyre wall. Maybe on the bead only to get a better initial seal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles