BLEvo: Why access location when app is not running?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
@PaoloBLEvo , this is a question for you. I enable BLEvo to access my location in the background because otherwise I don't get a map of my ride. (I lock the phone screen while riding) I have not used (launched) the BLEvo app for many days, and regularly use the "close all apps" function on my Samsung phone.

This morning, my phone displayed a notification that BLEvo accessed my location "in the background".

I don't care that BLEvo knows I sleep in Pleasanton, California, but I'm wondering what the app was doing. Why did BLEvo access my location last night when I haven't used the app in many days?

(Let the comedy replies begin!)

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
@PaoloBLEvo , this is a question for you. I enable BLEvo to access my location in the background because otherwise I don't get a map of my ride. (I lock the phone screen while riding) I have not used (launched) the BLEvo app for many days, and regularly use the "close all apps" function on my Samsung phone.

This morning, my phone displayed a notification that BLEvo accessed my location "in the background".

I don't care that BLEvo knows I sleep in Pleasanton, California, but I'm wondering what the app was doing. Why did BLEvo access my location last night when I haven't used the app in many days?

(Let the comedy replies begin!)
I think the message is from Android system that is warning you that BLEvo has actived the location in background. BLEvo read the position is background only when the ride is started.
I think the important thing to know for the user is that BLEvo is not sending to anyone the information of the ride/position. Just to Strava, but only if you want.
I answered to your question?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Thank you for replying, Paolo!

BLEvo did not *activate* location. I had turned on location tracking to use Google navigation in my car the day before I got the Android notification. So location tracking was enabled when I went to sleep. When I got up the next morning, Android displayed a notification that BLEvo had accessed my location. But BLEvo was not running in the foreground or the background.

I don't understand how any app that is not running can access location.

I don't think BLEvo is sending my data anywhere! I use your app a lot and really like it. I'm curious about how apps work in Android.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles