BLEvo vs eGENESIS... the test loop showdown.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I have been using these 2 app lately and comparing the features of each. There is a lot to like about both of them, but their differences and features are many and varied.
I found I like to still be in control a bit but let the app decide for me how much power it should give up at any one time during the ride. What I want is the greatest battery power savings without me having to work the pedals and end up in a heap on the floor. These are pedal assist bikes after all, so we may as well use the power they have, but being careful not to be too greedy and waste valuable battery capacity.
I have decided to do this test to give me an idea about of what each app will give me ( or not give me) in there similar modes. eGENESIS (eg) with it’s Auto mode, and BLEvo (bl) with its Smart Power mode.
First up, a bit about the test loop, the conditions on the day, and me, the rider and the trusty bike.
The loop was a touch shy of 12km but recorded as 11.85 and 12.01 km for the same loop. Made up of about 75% road and path, and 25% fire road. There was one large uphill path (which was done twice) that was a bit steep requiring Turbo on both rides. One fast jumpy downhill fire road ( done twice) and the rest was a mix of all between. I tried to keep all coasting sections the same and replicate each ride as best I could.
Me, well i’m a bit of a clydesdale at 114kg kitted up. I have a heart condition and I really should not push over 160bpm. (Sometimes I do) So i’m all for not working hard on the bike. The Levo is a 2018 comp, X.23 battery firmware with the remote on the bar. The tyres are a Butcher up front @ 18psi and a DHR up back @22psi.

Sorry bout the blab, hope you’re still there.
Please keep in mind the following is purely my opinion and you may have different needs and different views.

Let’s kick off with the eGENESIS set in Auto. The temp was 18 deg c and the wind 10knts from the SW pushing me up the hills. I like to have turbo set with 100% peak power (pp) and 100% assist as when I want power.. I want it all !
You set the max legs so the assistant increases after you pedal past that power threshold. I set it to 120w, so I would have to at least reach this power from my legs before the assist increased. It also has a max below that will decrease the max legs by the set value each hour you ride. So after an hour you don’t have to pedal as hard. It’s a nice feature to have and puts another auto step into the Auto if you like.
Next we set the peak power (pp). Well as I said, sometimes I like it all so I set it at 100%. This is not adjustable for each mode. You will get 10O% pp in eco, trail or turbo, reguardless. This to me is a big letdown. So to continue I set the assistance to 20% eco 75% trail 100% turbo.
The ride was a rush, I was caining along in eco as it was giving me 20 assist and 100% pp before I knew it. I breezed up some slight hills and in fact I done All of the ride in eco, with the exception of the big steep hill that was done twice in turbo.
Other notes when changing the modes with the remote, there was a slight lag in changing, but performance was spot on the rest of the time.
At the end of the ride I had 77% battery left, felt good, and had returned home to rest while the bike recharged ready for the BLEvo test.

Ok now for the BLEvo report.
The temp now was 3deg hotter @ 21deg c. The wind was now from the north NE at 11knts now making for a headwind for the uphill sections as opposed to the previous tailwind with eg.
Enter the bike set up screen and here I was able to set the pp in each mode. 15% eco. 60% trail 100% turbo. Next was the bike monitor screen where I tapped config and then smart power config. Here I was able to set the max legs and in trying to keep it as equal as I set it at 120w also. In the assist feilds Min was set at 1% and Max 100% the same as the eg app which I forgot to mention before. And the same values for the assist levels @ 20, 75 & 100%.
I was happy I could change all the pp levels for each mode as I could not do this on the eg app. I did however think it a bit strange to have to do it on a different page. But once set, its set and forget mostly.

On the ride I instantly notice not as much power, but I did not need it, and it did not make me work any harder. No use wasting power if it ain’t needed. I used the remote like a front shifter on an old 3x9 system. Eco on the flats, little hill up to trail, big hill, turbo. This works remarkably well and you feel in control. There was no lag switching between modes either and I felt relaxed and the power delivery felt natural where the eg app felt a little surgery.
I had 82% battery left at the end of the ride and I did not feel I worked any harder at all. That’s a 5% saving over the eg app, on a very short 12km loop. Good stuff.?

Conclusion...
I’m going to have to give it to BLEvo for this particular test. It used less battery in slightly tougher conditions and never left me feeling I wanted more or like I just done 10 rounds. It has the total package of adjustability and if you want to adjust the max legs if you tire, you can do so at the bottom of the ride display screen as you ride.
The eGENESIS app is also a fantastic app. It does pack in a whole lot more than I have mentioned above and a lot more than BLEvo. But do you really need all that extra ? For me the answer is no, your answer may be different. I’m more of a find a feature I like, set it and forget, keep it simple kind of guy.
Two great apps, and thanks to the developers for putting them out there. Give em a try, see what you like. I believe it’s the BLEvo for me.

Below I will post some screen shots BLEvo first followed by similar eGENESIS. Then the data recorded from my Garmin Vivoactive 3 for both rides including heart rate zones bl first and eg after.
The orange graph on the last 2pics is battery use age.
Just give us a sec to upload the screen shots.
Cheers.

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Screenshots BLEvo followed by eGENESIS
I also forgot to mention reactivity of both was set at their highest. Rocket in eg and Reacttivity in bl.

CA6FAC33-62A0-4E07-9FE4-5E260BC7F239.png

58068273-C893-40B2-85D3-76F89DA91E6A.png

D58FD88A-B7D9-472F-AC14-8D1D114D9CC6.png

1238DBBE-4489-46B4-9878-A408E88F3207.png

FA9FA901-8301-4B90-B4F1-926D347A5FBB.png

CD0B6E0E-4082-494E-B4C5-C914FC78E25C.png

E04DB810-2670-4644-BF84-B4A507663C28.jpeg

0E579238-D40D-4357-A32A-EAEC23C62EBB.jpeg

4585C956-4472-40E2-AE38-1DBEFA557D1A.jpeg

4B0ADAD8-0161-42C2-A713-C770DEF12CE4.jpeg

Last edited:

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Thx for the detailed report (y)
I love the Blevo app.
I combine the smart power with the smart heart rate.
I have set the hr quite high, this helps to keep giving assistance after a climb when my hr went up.
I don’t need the power anymore for the climb but it helps lowering the hr and still keep going :)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Thx for the detailed report (y)
I love the Blevo app.
I combine the smart power with the smart heart rate.
I have set the hr quite high, this helps to keep giving assistance after a climb when my hr went up.
I don’t need the power anymore for the climb but it helps lowering the hr and still keep going :)
I wish I could use the hr on either, but my Garmin only broadcast in ANT + not Bluetooth. Don’t want to wear a hr Strap.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Where do you get the eGENESIS app?
On the App Store
I am using iso with an iPhone 6s.
Android versions may differ slightly.
I find the BLEvo better suited to my needs.

At first you will find the eGENESIS has all these cool features and modes ect. But in time you’ll just want something that is simple. You don’t really need and / or in most cases won’t use the extra faf, and revert back to BLEvo.

Last edited:

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I have been using these 2 app lately and comparing the features of each. There is a lot to like about both of them, but their differences and features are many and varied.
I found I like to still be in control a bit but let the app decide for me how much power it should give up at any one time during the ride. What I want is the greatest battery power savings without me having to work the pedals and end up in a heap on the floor. These are pedal assist bikes after all, so we may as well use the power they have, but being careful not to be too greedy and waste valuable battery capacity.
I have decided to do this test to give me an idea about of what each app will give me ( or not give me) in there similar modes. eGENESIS (eg) with it’s Auto mode, and BLEvo (bl) with its Smart Power mode.
First up, a bit about the test loop, the conditions on the day, and me, the rider and the trusty bike.
The loop was a touch shy of 12km but recorded as 11.85 and 12.01 km for the same loop. Made up of about 75% road and path, and 25% fire road. There was one large uphill path (which was done twice) that was a bit steep requiring Turbo on both rides. One fast jumpy downhill fire road ( done twice) and the rest was a mix of all between. I tried to keep all coasting sections the same and replicate each ride as best I could.
Me, well i’m a bit of a clydesdale at 114kg kitted up. I have a heart condition and I really should not push over 160bpm. (Sometimes I do) So i’m all for not working hard on the bike. The Levo is a 2018 comp, X.23 battery firmware with the remote on the bar. The tyres are a Butcher up front @ 18psi and a DHR up back @22psi.

Sorry bout the blab, hope you’re still there.
Please keep in mind the following is purely my opinion and you may have different needs and different views.

Let’s kick off with the eGENESIS set in Auto. The temp was 18 deg c and the wind 10knts from the SW pushing me up the hills. I like to have turbo set with 100% peak power (pp) and 100% assist as when I want power.. I want it all !
You set the max legs so the assistant increases after you pedal past that power threshold. I set it to 120w, so I would have to at least reach this power from my legs before the assist increased. It also has a max below that will decrease the max legs by the set value each hour you ride. So after an hour you don’t have to pedal as hard. It’s a nice feature to have and puts another auto step into the Auto if you like.
Next we set the peak power (pp). Well as I said, sometimes I like it all so I set it at 100%. This is not adjustable for each mode. You will get 10O% pp in eco, trail or turbo, reguardless. This to me is a big letdown. So to continue I set the assistance to 20% eco 75% trail 100% turbo.
The ride was a rush, I was caining along in eco as it was giving me 20 assist and 100% pp before I knew it. I breezed up some slight hills and in fact I done All of the ride in eco, with the exception of the big steep hill that was done twice in turbo.
Other notes when changing the modes with the remote, there was a slight lag in changing, but performance was spot on the rest of the time.
At the end of the ride I had 77% battery left, felt good, and had returned home to rest while the bike recharged ready for the BLEvo test.

Ok now for the BLEvo report.
The temp now was 3deg hotter @ 21deg c. The wind was now from the north NE at 11knts now making for a headwind for the uphill sections as opposed to the previous tailwind with eg.
Enter the bike set up screen and here I was able to set the pp in each mode. 15% eco. 60% trail 100% turbo. Next was the bike monitor screen where I tapped config and then smart power config. Here I was able to set the max legs and in trying to keep it as equal as I set it at 120w also. In the assist feilds Min was set at 1% and Max 100% the same as the eg app which I forgot to mention before. And the same values for the assist levels @ 20, 75 & 100%.
I was happy I could change all the pp levels for each mode as I could not do this on the eg app. I did however think it a bit strange to have to do it on a different page. But once set, its set and forget mostly.

On the ride I instantly notice not as much power, but I did not need it, and it did not make me work any harder. No use wasting power if it ain’t needed. I used the remote like a front shifter on an old 3x9 system. Eco on the flats, little hill up to trail, big hill, turbo. This works remarkably well and you feel in control. There was no lag switching between modes either and I felt relaxed and the power delivery felt natural where the eg app felt a little surgery.
I had 82% battery left at the end of the ride and I did not feel I worked any harder at all. That’s a 5% saving over the eg app, on a very short 12km loop. Good stuff.?

Conclusion...
I’m going to have to give it to BLEvo for this particular test. It used less battery in slightly tougher conditions and never left me feeling I wanted more or like I just done 10 rounds. It has the total package of adjustability and if you want to adjust the max legs if you tire, you can do so at the bottom of the ride display screen as you ride.
The eGENESIS app is also a fantastic app. It does pack in a whole lot more than I have mentioned above and a lot more than BLEvo. But do you really need all that extra ? For me the answer is no, your answer may be different. I’m more of a find a feature I like, set it and forget, keep it simple kind of guy.
Two great apps, and thanks to the developers for putting them out there. Give em a try, see what you like. I believe it’s the BLEvo for me.

Below I will post some screen shots BLEvo first followed by similar eGENESIS. Then the data recorded from my Garmin Vivoactive 3 for both rides including heart rate zones bl first and eg after.
The orange graph on the last 2pics is battery use age.
Just give us a sec to upload the screen shots.
Cheers.
Fantastic review and comparison, I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I haven't really given eGenesis a good go - I've only played around with it for a few minutes. I should revisit it and see how it works out.

I'm very familiar with BLEvo and quite happy with it. I sometimes use Smart Heart + Smart power, or other times I just use it in standard configurations. One thing I really like about BLEvo is that all the data fields can be on my phone in one screen - I don't want to swipe my phone when I'm riding to see something. Can you display all data fields with eGENESIS on one screen, like you can with BLEvo??

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I wish I could use the hr on either, but my Garmin only broadcast in ANT + not Bluetooth. Don’t want to wear a hr Strap.
Heart rate straps are great. You don't even know you're wearing them. My sports bra keeps the HR strap in the right place, apparently guys have some issue with the HR straps wriggling down?

Last edited:

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Does the BLevo SmartHR function cause any issues with warranty claims ? I believe fiddling with the speed limit does. Asking for a friend (honestly!)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Fantastic review and comparison, I appreciate your thoughts and experiences. I haven't really given eGenesis a good go - I've only played around with it for a few minutes. I should revisit it and see how it works out.

I'm very familiar with BLEvo and quite happy with it. I sometimes use Smart Heart + Smart power, or other times I just use it in standard configurations. One thing I really like about BLEvo is that all the data fields can be on my phone in one screen - I don't want to swipe my phone when I'm riding to see something. Can you display all data fields with eGENESIS on one screen, like you can with BLEvo??
eGENESIS has like 3 screens to swipe.
I too like all info on one screen. I also like the BLEvo gives all data after a ride. eGENESIS does not give any that I can find. I’m sticking with BLEvo.
I will do some more BLEvo smart power, test loop rides soon but with different settings and post up the results.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Thanks Tori, my thoughts too, if the motor restriction is not lifted and left at 25kmh (UK spec), then surely using the app's other functions is just another way of utilising the bike within it's capabilities, which should not show up as misusage! My friend is nervous about it though, but the SmartHR function is one of the main reasons he's purchased one (for health reasons as per @outerlimits). Would be good for Specialized to get their Mission Control app updated with a few extra features like this to put people's minds at rest.

Oh, and thanks @outerlimits of course, for a great post, appreciated. (y)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The more I look at these 2 apps the more I learn. I will be doing some more testing in the future when work slows down. Can’t even get a ride in at the moment.
The jury is still out, due to new found knowledge. I look forward to doing more testing, as soon as I get a chance.
In the meantime, take them both for a test ride yourself and see what you like. Keep in mind what I have written is only my opinion, and others may differ.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The eGENESIS developer has pm’d me and has asked me to inform everyone that, and I quote
“The test performed was not correct due to the difference in the parameter setting.”

Maybe that’s true, but I do not have the greater understanding of how these apps work, like a developer would. I just input the parameters I think would match the closest to each other to compare.

Both are good, try them and use what you like.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Maybe invite the author onto this forum, set up a thread where the blevo and egenesis authors can decide equivalent settings and then a group of us can test them and report back?

Fwiw I have to preference for any of the apps, my bike seems to work pretty well from the factory, but it would be interesting to try. I like the idea of using the hrm to set the power level, although I don't have time to train properly atm, just smash down trails and have a laugh.

@Tori Ive never had any issues with my garmin hrm strap moving around, don't wear it super tight either

Augusto

Aug 14, 2018
Italy
To have the same settings of Blevo in eGENESIS, you have to set in eGENESIS:

Min=1; Eco=11; Trail=21; Turbo=76; Max=100
and use rabbit instead of rocket(more reactive).

In eGENESIS:
Eco work from Min to Trail-1
Trail work from Eco to Turbo-1
Turbo work from Trail to Max

In "outerlimits" test Eco setting of eGENESIS go from 1 to 74% of assistance when Blevo go from 1 to 20.
I'ts normal to have more more saving battery with Blevo if you cut the assistance at 20% when you set eGENESIS to cut at 74%

I'm the developer of eGENESIS

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hi Augusto welcome to the forum, please stay around
Yes I agree, please stay around and Welcome.
Perhaps we can have a eGENESIS thread, like we have a BLEvo thread. And Augusto can help answer any questions.
You up for that Augusto?

Augusto

Aug 14, 2018
Italy
I prefer to have a unique point of communication with biker friends.
There is the eGENESIS group on Facebook.
eGENESIS, as you know, is not only EVA, but also ADAMO and EDEN.
It becomes difficult for me to follow too many forums and groups.
Thanks anyway for the opportunity.

RobertK

Sep 11, 2018
Poland
In eGENESIS:
Eco work from Min to Trail-1
Trail work from Eco to Turbo-1
Turbo work from Trail to Max
So:
- info about Eco is everywhere but not in Eco field.
- info about Trail is everywhere but not in Trail field.
- info about Turbo is everywhere but not in Turbo field.
It happeds misunderstanding to me.

But for me Levo 2018 should have 4 gears at least - I offen ride with 0W support and eGenesis with possibility of having 6 or 9 gears is perfect for me. And for me is important that eGenesis has info about calories burned on monitor which is absent in BLEvo. Great app.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I just went for my 1st ride with the eGenesis app & I am extremely impressed with how Eva works with the Rohloff in manual with stock standard handlebar controller.

OK so there aren't many of us yet but press either the ^ or the Turbo button in between shifts and a 1 second Trail or Turbo boost kicks in - more than compensating for the slight pause on the pedals. ^ Trail is actually best to use then you always have Turbo in reserve. You of course can set Trail at much lower power setting say 30/30 for technical rides & one second later you're back in Eco - whatever you set that at.

I could be wrong but I think you can do the same in BLEvo but I think you need to purchase the o-synce Multiremote and BLEvo of course.

eGenesis & BLEvo - both :cool:

Augusto

Aug 14, 2018
Italy
Thanks Wepn, but you're just trying the primordial part of the whole system. If you go to the eGENESIS facebook group, you'll see that there is ADAMO678 and ADAMO19. And a display that totally changes the way the engine is delivered. It works independently without the need for a smartphone and with a speed of about 40 times greater than an APP. Download the ADAMO V1.1 manual from the file section.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Thanks Wepn, but you're just trying the primordial part of the whole system. If you go to the eGENESIS facebook group, you'll see that there is ADAMO678 and ADAMO19. And a display that totally changes the way the engine is delivered. It works independently without the need for a smartphone and with a speed of about 40 times greater than an APP. Download the ADAMO V1.1 manual from the file section.

Interesting. It's asking me to login - unbelievable I know but I'm not on Facebook. Any other way to see the Adamo's?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles