Bit confused about chains ?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I need to replace the chain on my Levo which has only covered 300 miles but is worn to 0.5 the chain on there is a sram nx solid pin 12 speed

i have searched on here and the general advice seams to be go for a decent one like xx1 or x01 which is fine I am happy to pay more for something decent

however I have noticed that the advise if to continue to use a solid pin chain BUT from what I can see the xx1 and x01 are both HOLLOW pin

is there a solid pin version of these chains

many thanks

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Question:
How does harsh and muddy riding conditions affect on X01 superiority compared to GX chain? In clean conditions it's proven and obvious I guess (and read). Does if affect the km/euro?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Based on my experience with hollow pin chains on my singlespeed bikes where I have broken several chains and found pins crushing I advise sticking with solid pin chains on eMTB.

Timbo

Aug 31, 2018
France
3500km all offroad on my Sram hollow pin chain, I bought a spare in 2019 after reading about chains snapping but its still in its packet.
I suppose it depends how you ride, I spin rather than stand on the pedals, terrain around here is rocky and sandy, and very hilly.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use hollow link chains on my Levo...( 11 speed GX). Gear change is better and no problems with excessive wear or breakage. Cassette and chainring are original and still in good condition after 1200 miles.

pgrbff

Jun 29, 2021
Serole
In 45 years of cycling the best advice I ever got was to use the cheapest chain and change them on a regular basis, you won't notice the extra 3.5grams and you can't see the bling when your riding, plus the rest of your drivetrain(the expensive stuff) will last 4 times longer!
How often is "on a regular basis"?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles